Recently, I've come to the decision that my next equipment endeavour will be a nice set of headphones + headphone amp. For those who may be curious, my main listening system consists of:
- Rotel RCD 1070 CDP
- Technics SP15 turntable
- Monolitic Sound phono preamp
- Rotel preamp
- Adcom GFA555 power amp
- Magnepan MC1 speakers w/ Rocket Onix UFW-10 sub
I've done some searching here and on the Web and I have a few general questions that I know others have probably asked, but I can't seem to put together a good, definitive picture. Please pardon the length...
I will be using my iPod 5th gen as the primary source. This setup will likely be a nightstand/tabletop system, to go along with the new recliner I'm putting in the master bedroom. Musical tastes run the gamut, with a focus on jazz, alternative, and classical, although I've been known to pound out Stone Temple Pilots and Pantera on occasion.
On to the questions:
1. Is it possible to send a digital signal from my 5th gen iPod? If so, do I need a MFI DAC, and what type of connecting cable would I use? Or,
2. Should I simply use a LOD feeding the 3.5mm input jack on whatever amp I wind up getting?
3. I have a definite "bang for your buck" mentality when it comes to my equipment (the only new item in my primary system is the tonearm on my Technics SP15 setup), so i'm not averse to used or items that may not be well-known but perform well above their price point....any HW recommendations along these lines will be greatly appreciated (i.e. which model in the Grado line offers the "best" performance/price ratio, etc.)
My thanks in advance for any insight on the above or on the topic in general!