Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Is the Schiit Vali/Modi combo overkill for the 598's?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is the Schiit Vali/Modi combo overkill for the 598's? - Page 2

post #16 of 25
No I don't think it's overkill, but it's certainly at the higher end of upstream equipment you would want to use with the HD 598. You'll be glad you bought them if you decide to upgrade eventually, anyway.
post #17 of 25

The Schiit Modi/Vali will be a good invest for use with just about any headphones you buy in the future.

post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

The Schiit Modi/Vali will be a good invest for use with just about any headphones you buy in the future.

yup

post #19 of 25

Hi all I was wondering I currently have the v moda xs and plan on getting another pair of headphones sortly. would the vali pair well with the xs though? Also do to cerebral palsy I am more likely to give it a bump now and again. would that be a deal breaker? thanks for the help 

post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulAngel View Post

Hi all I was wondering I currently have the v moda xs and plan on getting another pair of headphones sortly. would the vali pair well with the xs though? Also do to cerebral palsy I am more likely to give it a bump now and again. would that be a deal breaker? thanks for the help 
I see no reason why it wouldn't pair well. It will add a bit of warmth to the bass, so be prepared for slightly increased bass quantity. I wouldn't suggest getting the Vali if you might bump the amp from time to time, it might make the tubes ring.

The Magni or Objective2 would be a better choice in my opinion, the clean solid state sound would probably match the slightly V-shaped response of the headphone better. I've never tried any Schiit amps though, so take what I've said with a grain of salt.
post #21 of 25

thanks for the advice todd:darthsmile: would you have any experience  with a vali and a hd598 or q701 if they both benifit from the magni to I'll probably get the magni then

post #22 of 25
They're both fairly low impedance (HD598 is 50 ohms, and Q701 is 62 ohms) so they should both benefit from an amplifier... especially the Q701. I've heard the Q701 from a Teac amp and it sounded quite a bit better than straight from an iPod.

Don't expect amping a headphone to be night and day though, it will tighten up the bass, and might make the mid-range and highs sound more smooth/natural. Amping makes headphones sound less strained in it's response. The DAC and amp combo together will definitely make quite a difference compared to onboard computer audio or a portable player... don't get me wrong.
Edited by ToddTheMetalGod - 7/27/14 at 5:40am
post #23 of 25

all I have now is onboard. So i'm expecting at least a little improvement at least. onboard is realtek HD. what do you think. should I see an improvement. and if I do like the magni I plan on getting a modi down the line. or maybe a loki?

post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulAngel View Post
 

all I have now is onboard. So i'm expecting at least a little improvement at least. onboard is realtek HD. what do you think. should I see an improvement. and if I do like the magni I plan on getting a modi down the line. or maybe a loki?

Magni will certainly be an immediate improvement over just going off of onboard sound, and modi will add a good bit more. I would not get a Loki, ever, because that is just for DSD, which is a format that takes of insane amounts of space, and only a few artists have recordings in the format. Modi is what you want.

post #25 of 25

ahh thanks for that:beyersmile:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Is the Schiit Vali/Modi combo overkill for the 598's?