I haven't gotten any response. Did anyone else send an email?
- productFostex HP-P1tagged by nightmancometh, 2/20/14
Related Forum Threads
- [Review] WA7 & LCD-2F: DAC shoot-out & tube guide [UPDATED] Last post on 3/20/16 at 7:50am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- any recommendations for my new fostex HP-P1 Last post on 4/4/15 at 10:40am in Portable Source Gear
- Fostex HP-P1 vs HiFi-M8 for travel rig Last post on 9/1/15 at 12:15pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- HP-P1 or HIFI-M8 for travel rig. Last post on 5/6/14 at 12:57pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Fostex HP-P1 vs High End DAPs? What can you tell me about SQ? Last post on 2/13/14 at 2:16pm in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 12/10/15
The E5 is so close to being a giant killer but it has a few major flaws in my opinion. This is a technically oriented review. I like neutral sound signatures and bit perfect playback. I don't...
"Massdrop Blue Box - NuForce HEM IEMs" special drop pricing = $169.99*; Actual MSRP = $399.00 (I joined the drop on Massdrop and received the HEM6; LINK. You can find these and the other...
Hi All, I was given the chance to review the new Shozy Zero Rosewood earphones in exchange for just a small fee to cover the shipping. I received, as I'm sure some other reviewers did, an...
-- I give you Lend Me UR Ears house brand Alpha & Delta D2 Sports Earphone: **A few Disclaimers to get out of the way here**: #1 – I was approached by Lend Me UR Ears to review the...
I really like the t-90; I have had them for about two months and really enjoy the brightness. I also have the T70p and the t-5p second gen. I like the t70p better than anything so far. The t 90...
I Need a Portable DAC/Amp Combo for iPod That's Not an HP-P1 and Not $1K - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I use an iPod Classic as my primary source for portable use. If you wish to take an analog signal out of the 30 pin dock, a simple 30 pin to 3.5 mm connecting cable will connect to any amp. If you wish to take a digital signal out of the 30 pin dock, you need a 30 pin to USB cable and there are DAC Amps like the Cypher Labs Theorem, Centrance M8, ADL X1 to consider, or separate standalone DACs like the various Venturecraft ones (eg DD Sockets) and the Cypher Labs Solo -R and -DB. These DAC amps and standalone DACs, as they are Apple MFI (made for iPod) certified will also take the same digital signals from the latest iDevices' Lightning port.
And this applies to the seventh generation of the Classic? It wouldn't really make sense for them to take that feature away, but somebody said that it may have been tossed out with the Wolfson DAC for the latest edition.
I was told that only Apple devices with iOS7 can provide digital through the LOD. If this is accurate, then the iPod Classic 7G is not DAC compatible as it is only capable of analog output through the LOD.
When you say iOS 7 that only applies to iPhones and iPod touches and iPads. It does not apply to iPod Classics.
Having said that, some people, not me, don't wish to for whatever reason, use Apple certified MFI DAC/amps eg the JDS C5D and they resort to, in my view, an inelegant solution by using Apple Camera Connection Kit on their iOS 7 iPads etc.
To confuse matters for you further, I can connect an Apple Lightning-30 pin connector (which is actually a DAC inside) to my iPhone 5, then connect a 30 pin to 3.5 mm to any amp and that works.
In sum, if you stick to your initial enquiry, an IPod Classic WILL work with those Apple-certified MFI DAC amps with no issues whatsoever. One of my iPod Classics is but two months old and it works with ALL those DAC amps I listed.
I hope this helps.
Yes, if you connect a 30 pin to the LOD but the other end is 3.5 mm then it's only an analog signal. But if you connect the 30 pin to USB to those DAC amps I mentioned it will output a digital signal. The LOD with 30 pins is very versatile. It is the MFI DAC amps that does the handshake so to speak and extract the digital signal.
Just to clarify: The CEntrance HiFi-M8 does work with the iPod Classic, but only the most recent one(s) -- the 5th gen iPod Video is not supported, and the 7th gen is (not sure about the 6th gen). Here is a report back in October, and there are other reports of testing with iPod Classics before this one in the thread.
So you can use an iPod Classic as a digital transport like an iPhone/iPod Touch, but it has to be with MFi devices. I don't have the latest iPod Classic to test, though.
The Vamp Verza extracts the digital output from an iPod and runs it through its own DAC and then the amp.
But I also think that, for most listenings, the iPod's built-in DAC does an admirable job. If you connect a line-out doc cable (30-pin to 3.5mm or RCA), the signal goes through the DAC but not the amp, just connect it to an amp and you should be OK to go.
By the way, people here write about "7th gen" ipod - as far as I know there is no such thing - the latest ipod is the iPod Classic from late 2009, they didn't release any new models (not including touch).
Edited by intlsubband - 4/13/14 at 8:24pm
Audioquest has some of the best ones, I use the Golden Gate one to connect ipod straight to amp, great stuff. http://www.audioquest.com/bridges-falls/golden-gate
They also have more pricey ones.
I still need to get a proper home DAC, but for now, my temporary home setup of ipod -> audioquest golden gate -> amp sounds really nice... once I get a proper DAC though I'll use my Verza just to extract the digital signal from the ipod to the DAC. But the ipod's DAC does admirable job, and I know it's supposed to be the "lesser" ipod DAC (given that it's the more recent model).
Edited by intlsubband - 4/13/14 at 8:18pm
If you are using an iPod Classic, you may want to consider the JDS Labs C5 amp + LOD (such as Fiio L9). This will bypass the amp on the iPod. I don't believe that there is any point to a having a DAC with a Classic as it is not capable of digital output through the LOD. You may want to get someone else to confirm this, but I am pretty sure it is correct. I am using iPod Classic 7G 160 Gb > Fiio L9 LOD > C5 > Shure SE535...very sweet indeed, and not a bank breaker. Also a good size match with the iPod.
Wrong. I'm using the digital output on the Classic going into the Sony PHA 1. Sounds brilliant too.
- I Need a Portable DAC/Amp Combo for iPod That's Not an HP-P1 and Not $1K
- › Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions 1 minute ago
- › Is it possible to let my friend try my ciem? 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier 2 minutes ago
- › Shanling M2 DAP 3 minutes ago
- › The Best IEM's for Bass are...... (Basshead IEM's) 3 minutes ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 4 minutes ago
- › 2016 Tokyo Spring Fujiya Avic Headphone Festival Impressions 7 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Luxury and Precision - Crowdfunding Promotion on the L3 Digital... 8 minutes ago
- › Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Sound Blaster E5 - 24-bit/192kHz High-Resolution USB DAC &... by vapman
- › NuForce HEM6 Reference Class Hi-Res In-Ear Headphones with Triple... by Hi-Fi EDU
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by jant71
- › Alpha & Delta D2 by BloodyPenguin
- › Beyerdynamic T90 Premium Stereo Headphone by glennkresge
- › Unique Melody Miracle V2 Universal six driver in-ear monitor by Hisoundfi
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by MMansell
- › Philips SHE3595WT/28 In-Ear Headset with Mic White by stweb
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by ryanjsoo
- › Rhapsodio Galaxy by taz23
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse