I haven't gotten any response. Did anyone else send an email?
- productFostex HP-P1tagged by nightmancometh, 2/20/14
Related Forum Threads
- [Review] WA7 & LCD-2F: DAC shoot-out & tube guide [UPDATED] Last post on 8/2/16 at 7:15am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- any recommendations for my new fostex HP-P1 Last post on 4/4/15 at 10:40am in Portable Source Gear
- Fostex HP-P1 vs HiFi-M8 for travel rig Last post on 9/1/15 at 12:15pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- HP-P1 or HIFI-M8 for travel rig. Last post on 5/6/14 at 12:57pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Fostex HP-P1 vs High End DAPs? What can you tell me about SQ? Last post on 2/13/14 at 2:16pm in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 12/10/15
Unboxing and Packaging The ShareMe 5 arrived in a box that looks similar to the ShareMe Pro, but thicker. The packing inside is slightly nicer looking. The plastic container holding the...
This is my review originally posted on http://www.earphonia.com/2016/10/24/ibasso-it03-review/ I was honoured to be approached by iBasso with their first venture into IEM territory and they...
This is my review originally posted on http://www.earphonia.com/2016/10/24/jomo-samba-pro-audio-ciem-review/ Jomo Audio is a Singapore local company that crafts in ear earphones that sound and...
Elephone Whisper Noise Cancelling Earphone Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to GearBest for the sample. Full review...
Disclaimer: These headphones were sent to me thanks to the Oppo loaner program. They have since been returned and sent to the next reviewer. Want a headphone that sounds excellent, is easy...
I Need a Portable DAC/Amp Combo for iPod That's Not an HP-P1 and Not $1K - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I use an iPod Classic as my primary source for portable use. If you wish to take an analog signal out of the 30 pin dock, a simple 30 pin to 3.5 mm connecting cable will connect to any amp. If you wish to take a digital signal out of the 30 pin dock, you need a 30 pin to USB cable and there are DAC Amps like the Cypher Labs Theorem, Centrance M8, ADL X1 to consider, or separate standalone DACs like the various Venturecraft ones (eg DD Sockets) and the Cypher Labs Solo -R and -DB. These DAC amps and standalone DACs, as they are Apple MFI (made for iPod) certified will also take the same digital signals from the latest iDevices' Lightning port.
And this applies to the seventh generation of the Classic? It wouldn't really make sense for them to take that feature away, but somebody said that it may have been tossed out with the Wolfson DAC for the latest edition.
I was told that only Apple devices with iOS7 can provide digital through the LOD. If this is accurate, then the iPod Classic 7G is not DAC compatible as it is only capable of analog output through the LOD.
When you say iOS 7 that only applies to iPhones and iPod touches and iPads. It does not apply to iPod Classics.
Having said that, some people, not me, don't wish to for whatever reason, use Apple certified MFI DAC/amps eg the JDS C5D and they resort to, in my view, an inelegant solution by using Apple Camera Connection Kit on their iOS 7 iPads etc.
To confuse matters for you further, I can connect an Apple Lightning-30 pin connector (which is actually a DAC inside) to my iPhone 5, then connect a 30 pin to 3.5 mm to any amp and that works.
In sum, if you stick to your initial enquiry, an IPod Classic WILL work with those Apple-certified MFI DAC amps with no issues whatsoever. One of my iPod Classics is but two months old and it works with ALL those DAC amps I listed.
I hope this helps.
Yes, if you connect a 30 pin to the LOD but the other end is 3.5 mm then it's only an analog signal. But if you connect the 30 pin to USB to those DAC amps I mentioned it will output a digital signal. The LOD with 30 pins is very versatile. It is the MFI DAC amps that does the handshake so to speak and extract the digital signal.
Just to clarify: The CEntrance HiFi-M8 does work with the iPod Classic, but only the most recent one(s) -- the 5th gen iPod Video is not supported, and the 7th gen is (not sure about the 6th gen). Here is a report back in October, and there are other reports of testing with iPod Classics before this one in the thread.
So you can use an iPod Classic as a digital transport like an iPhone/iPod Touch, but it has to be with MFi devices. I don't have the latest iPod Classic to test, though.
The Vamp Verza extracts the digital output from an iPod and runs it through its own DAC and then the amp.
But I also think that, for most listenings, the iPod's built-in DAC does an admirable job. If you connect a line-out doc cable (30-pin to 3.5mm or RCA), the signal goes through the DAC but not the amp, just connect it to an amp and you should be OK to go.
By the way, people here write about "7th gen" ipod - as far as I know there is no such thing - the latest ipod is the iPod Classic from late 2009, they didn't release any new models (not including touch).
Edited by intlsubband - 4/13/14 at 8:24pm
Audioquest has some of the best ones, I use the Golden Gate one to connect ipod straight to amp, great stuff. http://www.audioquest.com/bridges-falls/golden-gate
They also have more pricey ones.
I still need to get a proper home DAC, but for now, my temporary home setup of ipod -> audioquest golden gate -> amp sounds really nice... once I get a proper DAC though I'll use my Verza just to extract the digital signal from the ipod to the DAC. But the ipod's DAC does admirable job, and I know it's supposed to be the "lesser" ipod DAC (given that it's the more recent model).
Edited by intlsubband - 4/13/14 at 8:18pm
If you are using an iPod Classic, you may want to consider the JDS Labs C5 amp + LOD (such as Fiio L9). This will bypass the amp on the iPod. I don't believe that there is any point to a having a DAC with a Classic as it is not capable of digital output through the LOD. You may want to get someone else to confirm this, but I am pretty sure it is correct. I am using iPod Classic 7G 160 Gb > Fiio L9 LOD > C5 > Shure SE535...very sweet indeed, and not a bank breaker. Also a good size match with the iPod.
Wrong. I'm using the digital output on the Classic going into the Sony PHA 1. Sounds brilliant too.
- I Need a Portable DAC/Amp Combo for iPod That's Not an HP-P1 and Not $1K
- › Official X7 beta firmware (Android 5.1) download and discussion... 4 minutes ago
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 5 minutes ago
- › AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard... 5 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 6 minutes ago
- › Liquid Gold - 2014 6 minutes ago
- › New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion 6 minutes ago
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi |... 7 minutes ago
- › The Stax Thread III 7 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 8 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 9 minutes ago
- › Soundaware Esther by Fabaaroan
- › Over Ear Headphone Shareme 4.1 Bluetooth Foldable Headsets with... by pkshiu
- › iBasso IT03 by sonickarma
- › Jomo Audio Samba Pro CIEM by sonickarma
- › Elephone Whisper by mark2410
- › OPPO PM-1 by maxh22
- › iBasso Audio DX80 High Resolution Audio Player by rebbi
- › 1MORE Capsule Dual Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone... by B9Scrambler
- › RHA MA750i by High-End-Addict
- › Hidizs AP60 HiFi Mini Bluetooth Lossless MP3 Portable Music Player... by HiFiChris
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...