New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WAV to MP3

post #1 of 47
Thread Starter 

Hi all,

 

What is the best (preferred) way to convert WAV to MP3? Say I buy a high-res WAV from HDtracks? FLAC won't work on my iPod, so that's out.

 

I listen to WAV on my computer (Schiit Modi/Magni to Alpha Dogs) and CBR 320 MP3 on my iPod. 

post #2 of 47
Thread Starter 

I already have EAC and Foobar, just have never done it. Only from CD.

post #3 of 47

It shouldn't be much different.  WAV files are basically just CD tracks.

 

But why not ALAC?

post #4 of 47

Try LAME, probably one of the best MP3 encoders

http://lame.sourceforge.net/

post #5 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotNoRice View Post
 

It shouldn't be much different.  WAV files are basically just CD tracks.

 

But why not ALAC?

One word, mp3gain. I am so tired of different recording levels.

post #6 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseval View Post
 

Try LAME, probably one of the best MP3 encoders

http://lame.sourceforge.net/

I use LAME for EAC, but have only done it with cd's. I'm looking for direct wav to mp3.

post #7 of 47

dbpoweramp (http://www.dbpoweramp.com/)

 

I use it for all my transcoding.

post #8 of 47
Foobar2000 + ipod plugin will do all of this on the fly.

No need to use mp3gain since the ipod plugin can convert replaygain tags to soundcheck tags automatically when syncing your music.

Also move away from WAV files to a more error robust lossless format, FLAC, ALAC or WAVPACK.
Edited by A_Man_Eating_Duck - 2/7/14 at 12:03am
post #9 of 47
Thread Starter 

I just tried using Foobar, the Convert command. Worked pretty well and I used LAME since I already use it for EAC when ripping cd's.

 

Thanks all.

post #10 of 47
Quote:
 

Hi all,

 

What is the best (preferred) way to convert WAV to MP3? Say I buy a high-res WAV from HDtracks? FLAC won't work on my iPod, so that's out.

 

I listen to WAV on my computer (Schiit Modi/Magni to Alpha Dogs) and CBR 320 MP3 on my iPod. 

 

You may Apple Lossless (iTunes built-in) to reduce the file size without losing quality (FLAC is great, but as you already know, it does not play in your iPod). It will be able to reduce .WAV file size to about 50% in average.

 

_____________________

Test your ears!

CD vs AAC 256k VBR 1.0

CD vs AAC 256k VBR 2.0


Edited by cdvsmp3 - 6/6/14 at 12:50pm
post #11 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdvsmp3 View Post
 

Use Apple Lossless (iTunes built-in) to reduce your files without losing quality. It will be able to reduce .WAV file size to about 50% in average.

 

_____________________

Test your ears!

CD vs iTunes plus 1.0

CD vs iTunes plus 2.0

the comparision is not needed, all lossless formats should sound the same, and FLAC, ALAC and APE are all accepatable formats that should be smaller in file size than WAVs allowing you greater storage space, use which ever best works with all of your devices  

post #12 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Man_Eating_Duck View Post

Also move away from WAV files to a more error robust lossless format, FLAC, ALAC or WAVPACK.

 

What's the problem with WAV? I'm using WAV all the time and don't seem to have any problem with it, but if there's any chance of pending disaster I would like to know about it..

post #13 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62ohm View Post
 

 

What's the problem with WAV? I'm using WAV all the time and don't seem to have any problem with it, but if there's any chance of pending disaster I would like to know about it..

ITS BIG, flac offers the same audio quality with a greatly reduced size lol, wavs are just needlessly large 

post #14 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

ITS BIG, flac offers the same audio quality with a greatly reduced size lol, wavs are just needlessly large 

 

It does bother me a bit that they took up so much space. My 150 albums takes 110 GB of space, and none of them are HD. All 16/44.1.

 

Apart from that, I presume WAV is not a problematic codec?

post #15 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62ohm View Post
 

 

It does bother me a bit that they took up so much space. My 150 albums takes 110 GB of space, and none of them are HD. All 16/44.1.

 

Apart from that, I presume WAV is not a problematic codec?

nope it's just big 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home