or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Next DAP needed, 801 dead. What next? 901. C4, AK100,X3/5/7, DX50/90/100
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Next DAP needed, 801 dead. What next? 901. C4, AK100,X3/5/7, DX50/90/100 - Page 2

post #16 of 28
Thread Starter 

I've got the X5 now,it's definitely a step down from the 801 . but it's early days

 

tim

post #17 of 28
KT66, I have a question to you (although maybe you will be suprised) - you have the Studio V which sounds great and you say that you don't care about UI, battery, memory etc., so why are you looking for another DAP? Is it just do to the fact that Studio V doesn't play 24/96?
post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krismarzyk View Post

KT66, I have a question to you (although maybe you will be suprised) - you have the Studio V which sounds great and you say that you don't care about UI, battery, memory etc., so why are you looking for another DAP? Is it just do to the fact that Studio V doesn't play 24/96?

The studio V cannot compare to an ak120, much less a hm901 and i'm guessing hm802, will be trying this on Friday, as well. Very far in fact. 

post #19 of 28
AK120, HM-901 agreed, but I think that Studio is easily on the same level (or even better) as HM-801, DX50, X3 and/or X5 (all those players were mentioned by KT66).
post #20 of 28

Going from members opinions I trust who both own Studio V and AK120 (or have at the same time), Studio V 3rd Anv cannot better AK120. When you take their price points into consideration so it shouldn't or something would be wrong. Players like X3, DX50, AK100, the Studio can eat up for breakfast, especially the earlier two.

I own x2 Studio V's, while I think they're great players, the battery life is amazing, they're not without a few small issues. The UI (which doesn't bother me) is quite simple, they can hiss with low impedance IEM which make or break a listening experience and your feeling of "owning a complete set up" I find the hiss detracts from this. Also, after many months of use the navigation buttons have begin sinking into the casing losing their spring on one of my units, as you understand those navigation buttons get a real work out due to the cumbersome UI.

Good points: Studio units sound incredibly clear, detailed and have some of the best instrument separation I have heard, but again this depends on your synergy. I have paired IEM with Studio that  sound very average or hearing low end roll-off to some extend effecting sub-bass regoins. The Studio's are kind of a freak occurrence in the way they can sound absolutely amazing they hold a real specific timbre or house sound that's rather addictive. but I find it's more so a matter of the correct synergy, possibly more so than many other players I've tried. 

post #21 of 28
H20Fidelity, to my ears the differences between various DAPs (although this is not a general truth applicable to any player) in terms of tonality are rather small or better to say not significant. But, what impressed me the most in Studio V was the instrument separation, transparency and airness (I assume that those three factors significantly impacts the perceived clarity of Studio V which is also superb). So, if a given player (be it Dx50, X3, X5 or sth else) does not beat Studio V in terms of the instrument separation, transparency and airness for me it isn't better than Studio V.
Regarding the pairing, while I was testing Studio V I had a chance to pair Studio V with my both current CIEMs, both of them sounded better on Studio V than on my iMod (but only in terms of the instrument separation, transparency and airness), although Cosmic Ears benefited more. Both of them are neutral, but Custom Art pro330v2 are more on the brigther side of the spectrum and at the same time they are a littl bit warmer than Cosmi Ears.
post #22 of 28

Completely agree, instrument separation on the Studios (and Rocco BA) for that matter I haven't heard any better than Hisound, this makes life hard trying other players because this area to me is of huge importance, I have a new standard for it. For example: DX50 to my ears had higher resolution than Studio V (not more detail) however instrument separation on DX50 was poor in comparison, rather poor actually. That was a deal breaker for me on the iBasso, I sold it shortly after.  And when I demo X5 soon in coming days I will be listening for the same thing... 


Edited by H20Fidelity - 2/19/14 at 1:25am
post #23 of 28
H20Fidelity, when you will have X5 with you? I see that you are looking sth similar in DAPs as me so I can't wait to hear your, even very first, impressions. If X5 can match Studio V's level in terms of instrument separation I will take it but if not I will buy Studio V for sure:D
post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krismarzyk View Post

H20Fidelity, when you will have X5 with you? I see that you are looking sth similar in DAPs as me so I can't wait to hear your, even very first, impressions. If X5 can match Studio V's level in terms of instrument separation I will take it but if not I will buy Studio V for sure:D


I believe X5's being sent tomorrow and may possibly be with me by late this week if not early next week. I mean.....of course I will settle for a little lesser instrument separation, but this area must hold decent posture, mid range samples must not start smearing and going sloppy, I will also be testing for tonality and detail extension with some particular vocal tracks I know very well. If the X5 is worthy I will purchase one. :)

post #25 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krismarzyk View Post

AK120, HM-901 agreed, but I think that Studio is easily on the same level (or even better) as HM-801, DX50, X3 and/or X5 (all those players were mentioned by KT66).

The Studio is great , but sounds nowhere near as
good as 801, in a different league.
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT66 View Post
 

I've got the X5 now,it's definitely a step down from the 801 . but it's early days

 

tim

That... is good to hear! I was scared I was going to have to sell my hm801 if the X5 was as good as they where saying! 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post
 

 That was a deal breaker for me on the iBasso, I sold it shortly after.  And when I demo X5 soon in coming days I will be listening for the same thing... 

Yea I'm on that list as well... 

post #27 of 28
I own the senn momentums and am thinking of buying the fiio x5.Is it a wise choice?I listen to mostly flac music.Also what about an amp?
post #28 of 28
Thread Starter 
901 on its way !

the X5 is great, but not with bright sounding headphones, it was like a spotlight on the treble with my DT1350, amazing detail but tiring after a while.

I am really enjoying x50 with o2 or Voyager whilst waiting for the 901. Hard to fault
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Next DAP needed, 801 dead. What next? 901. C4, AK100,X3/5/7, DX50/90/100