Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Do you own a vintage CD player? (pics please!)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do you own a vintage CD player? (pics please!) - Page 6

post #76 of 87

+1 on old heavy duty CD players and turn on, hit play, enjoy.  (but sometimes I have to wait for the tubes to warm up)

 

:D

post #77 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbophead View Post
 

+1 on old heavy duty CD players and turn on, hit play, enjoy.  (but sometimes I have to wait for the tubes to warm up)

 

:D

What's amazing is that they both play CD-R's perfectly, despite their age.

post #78 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by af0h View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbophead View Post
 

+1 on old heavy duty CD players and turn on, hit play, enjoy.  (but sometimes I have to wait for the tubes to warm up)

 

:D

What's amazing is that they both play CD-R's perfectly, despite their age.

Yup, so they do!

post #79 of 87

Here's my Sony D555 from about 1989. I was still a teenager back then.

This with a pair of Grado SR200s served me well for a long time.

 

post #80 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post

Ha! I remember the K2 thing! I wonder, was that the only JVC that had that? Nice machine.

 

Then you need some K2 CD to play on 'em machines....

 

post #81 of 87

Cleaned up my Marantz CD-52 SE and installed the new CDM4 gear. Working a treat, sometimes the draw sticks a little, but i guess it will be fine over time, hasn't been used in a long time, also could be the belt is a little loose.

 

Either way I love it, and the Coax out is a bonus.

 

Will post pics at some point

post #82 of 87

My system at university was a Marantz CD85, Audiolab 8000A and JPW Sonata speakers. The CD85 was an aural/visual treat with it's syrupy `analogue' sound and metal alloy chassis.

 

 

I remember purchasing the CD85 and 8000A second hand from Oxford Audio Consultants for £550. The Sonatas were new from Audio-T for about £90. When our student parties became raucous we'd crank up the volume and belt out AC/DC `Whole Lotta Rosie' which blew a Sonata driver on three separate occasions. The third time that Audio-T returned the speaker to JPW for driver replacement (which was free) it came back with a note from the factory politely requesting that I "Moderate my volume level when listening".

 

Happy times and a great sounding CD player!

post #83 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by smial1966 View Post

My system at university was a Marantz CD85, Audiolab 8000A and JPW Sonata speakers. The CD85 was an aural/visual treat with it's syrupy `analogue' sound and metal alloy chassis.




I remember purchasing the CD85 and 8000A second hand from Oxford Audio Consultants for £550. The Sonatas were new from Audio-T for about £90. When our student parties became raucous we'd crank up the volume and belt out AC/DC `Whole Lotta Rosie' which blew a Sonata driver on three separate occasions. The third time that Audio-T returned the speaker to JPW for driver replacement (which was free) it came back with a note from the factory politely requesting that I "Moderate my volume level when listening".

Happy times and a great sounding CD player!

Lovely system. I nearly bought a CD85 myself, but then the second hand CD12 presented itself......! I also still have some JPW Sonatas in a system. Great little speakers, still going strong.
post #84 of 87
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ostewart View Post
 

Cleaned up my Marantz CD-52 SE and installed the new CDM4 gear. Working a treat, sometimes the draw sticks a little, but i guess it will be fine over time, hasn't been used in a long time, also could be the belt is a little loose.

 

Either way I love it, and the Coax out is a bonus.

 

Will post pics at some point

Classic player. Maybe a little squirt of deoxit might do the trick?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smial1966 View Post
 

My system at university was a Marantz CD85, Audiolab 8000A and JPW Sonata speakers. The CD85 was an aural/visual treat with it's syrupy `analogue' sound and metal alloy chassis.

 

 

I remember purchasing the CD85 and 8000A second hand from Oxford Audio Consultants for £550. The Sonatas were new from Audio-T for about £90. When our student parties became raucous we'd crank up the volume and belt out AC/DC `Whole Lotta Rosie' which blew a Sonata driver on three separate occasions. The third time that Audio-T returned the speaker to JPW for driver replacement (which was free) it came back with a note from the factory politely requesting that I "Moderate my volume level when listening".

 

Happy times and a great sounding CD player!

Beautiful. Both the cd player and the story. :beerchug:

post #85 of 87
All gears have silicone grease.

Made sure none on belt otherwise it slips. But we will see.

It seems ok sometimes.
post #86 of 87

Not so much vintage but a fair few years old my trusty Cyrus DAD7 and PSX R.   

post #87 of 87

That is one over built CDP!  Probably still sounds good, too.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Do you own a vintage CD player? (pics please!)