or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Ultra dark, sub bassy and buttery vocals, never with fatigue. I want Aurisonics ASG-2 mids with boosted sub bass in cans?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ultra dark, sub bassy and buttery vocals, never with fatigue. I want Aurisonics ASG-2 mids with boosted sub bass in cans?

post #1 of 39
Thread Starter 

I have tried so many cans... nothing does it for me. I *really* love the sound and vocals of my ASG-2 but want more subbass and in the factor in a pair of cans. 

 

Let me emphasize again... I want butter smooth vocals, *NEVER* fatigue, loads of sub bass.

I've tried quite a few cans with no avail...

 

DT770/80 - Nice sub bass, massive treble spike

Countless sennheiser 5xx - Vocals are nice but can sound nasaly, no sub bass.

M100... Nice, but vocals aren't there, bit of a upper treble spike.

XB500 - too boxy, no sub bass, only mid. Just gets muddy and gross.

XB700 - Good sub bass without the boxyness, has some sort of treble spike that bothers me.

XB920 - My fav of the sony XB series, cant do vocals well. Sub bass king.

 

+ a few others that i dont remember/dont count or care about.

 

Suggestions? Again... looking for Aurisonics ASG2 smoothness with more subbass in full cans.

 

Price is not a factor.

post #2 of 39
Vocals and bass and no fatigue? Sounds like Audeze to me.
post #3 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZtechfreak View Post

Vocals and bass and no fatigue? Sounds like Audeze to me.

Thanks for the input, any other suggestions too add to this list? I'm unsure with how I feel about open cans.. which leads me to the closed Audeze but I've heard it has a bit of a treble spike. Also unsure about the comfort and weight of these cans. The LCD-2 I almost purchased about a year back but didn't due to the poor connectors on earlier revs breaking and poor comfort/weight.

 

The LCD2 always did seem like it would be the "ideal" for this. I've read that the pro700mk2 (yes much cheaper) is a bassy, dark headphone but worry its sub bass is too rolled off and vocals recessed based on freq response charts I've also seen. 

post #4 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docks View Post
 

Thanks for the input, any other suggestions too add to this list? I'm unsure with how I feel about open cans.. which leads me to the closed Audeze but I've heard it has a bit of a treble spike. Also unsure about the comfort and weight of these cans. The LCD-2 I almost purchased about a year back but didn't due to the poor connectors on earlier revs breaking and poor comfort/weight.

 

The LCD2 always did seem like it would be the "ideal" for this. I've read that the pro700mk2 (yes much cheaper) is a bassy, dark headphone but worry its sub bass is too rolled off and vocals recessed based on freq response charts I've also seen. 

The Hifiman HE 500 should work nicely as well

 

actually the two new Hifimans are much lighter than previous models, if you can I'd wait for the 400i to be released, the new line is... apprently a merge of older models

 

the 400i a merge of the HE 500 and 400,

 

and the HE 560 a merge of the HE 6 and HE 500

 

still any of the hifimans [outside the HE 400 it self] would be good for you! 

post #5 of 39
From the OPs stated requirements I think the Audeze are a better fit to be honest, at least from the sonic point of view. I prefer the HiFiMan cans myself, but he seems to want a slightly more bass-tilted sound and no listening fatigue which is more like the LCD2 and less like the HiFiMan cans in my experience (owned LCD2, both revisions, as well as the HE-400 and my current favorite can of all time the HE-6).

Physical comfort may be an issue though, and that shouldn't be overlooked. I think the OP should try and have a good long audition of the LCD2 if at all possible - there is quite a lot of variability in terms of how comfortable people find the Audeze cans. Personally I had no issues there, and this is the case for many others also, but a good many people do find them uncomfortable (even intolerable in some cases). The HiFiMan cans are also quite variably rated for comfort, depending on who you ask, so potentially don't offer a large advantage from this point of view either.

Overall I do think the HiFiMan cans could be a good fit also from the sound point of view, even if not quite as ideal as the LCD2, so if the OP can wait for feedback on the upcoming models that isn't a bad plan.
Edited by NZtechfreak - 2/3/14 at 1:21am
post #6 of 39
Thread Starter 

Thanks for another suggestion Mshenay! I've tried the HE500 before, they were alot more comfortable than expected (Bonus). However the vocals had no "meat" to them, the subbass digs deep however it was merely flat, I'm definitely looking for more.

NZtechfreak I agree with your above statement, the Audeze offerings are much more what I am looking for.


Edited by Docks - 2/3/14 at 6:09am
post #7 of 39

No meat to the vocals on the HE-500!? Never heard that before

They are warm, full headphones

post #8 of 39
If the he-500 wasn't enough vocally, which to me it does vocals extremely well,but if you need darker and almost surreally substantial, then an LCD 2,3, or X.

I wanted lcd2s for a while but after auditioning them I much prefer the hifimans, the audeze was not neutral enough for me, but if you want south of neutral, they seem like a perfect fit.

I also really like the demon d2k for what you are describing but the audeze are better.
post #9 of 39

lcd2:wink:

post #10 of 39
OP, im lookin for exact same thing, only in portable. Love asg2 myself. Im lookin at shure 1540, denon 600, or akg 545 (leanin towards shures)
post #11 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikaveli06 View Post

OP, im lookin for exact same thing, only in portable. Love asg2 myself. Im lookin at shure 1540, denon 600, or akg 545 (leanin towards shures)

Actually you guys might REALLY like the Mr Speakers Mad Dog 

post #12 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

Actually you guys might REALLY like the Mr Speakers Mad Dog 

I've not heard them, but from what I've read that looks like an option the OP should be considering.
post #13 of 39

I'd look into the Denon AH-D600 they are similar to what you are after. The Mad Dog are also a good choice although they sound a bit Dry and dull but otherwise a decent phone.

post #14 of 39

Ideally you'd want an LCD2.  If you don't have the money you can spring for Mad Dogs.  I wouldn't call the Mad Dogs sub-bass monsters though.

post #15 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigano View Post
 

I'd look into the Denon AH-D600 they are similar to what you are after. The Mad Dog are also a good choice although they sound a bit Dry and dull but otherwise a decent phone.

The Mad Dog is not in any way dry, I owned one and it was to my tastes very lush, warm and wet... hence is why I no longer own one. I prefer dry cans, 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZtechfreak View Post


I've not heard them, but from what I've read that looks like an option the OP should be considering.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post
 

Ideally you'd want an LCD2.  If you don't have the money you can spring for Mad Dogs.  I wouldn't call the Mad Dogs sub-bass monsters though.

They are not, but with the right amp they are very lush and warm, good speed on the sub bass but not monsters

 

So OP LCD 2 if you can afford it, if not the Mr Speakers Mad Dog are a good second choice 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Ultra dark, sub bassy and buttery vocals, never with fatigue. I want Aurisonics ASG-2 mids with boosted sub bass in cans?