Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Power Metal Headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Power Metal Headphones

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

I've always wanted to upgrade my Onto audio-technica to something much serious. Usually I use iPod Touch 4th gen or iPod Nano 6th gen. Most time I listen to Dragonforce, but I also fancy some Nickelback, Avenged Sevenfold, Pendulum. What are the most suitable headphones for such combination?

post #2 of 17

my personal favorite for metal and rock is grado

 

the SR60i are awesome and an amazing bargain as well.  they get better as you go up the line in price as well, and run very nicely without an amp.

post #3 of 17

For the kind of power metal I listen to,* and heck metal in general, I'd go for the HD600, or the Q701/K701 (Q is cheaper on Amazon I think). Prestige series Grados tend to have that trident-shaped soundstage even if you push them a little forward of your ears, and the placement of the instruments tend to get all over the place on very layered recordings. It works great on AC/DC and Motley Crue, but throw some Nightwish and Kamelot at it and it feels dizzying when it feels like it's throwing everything on the stage at you. I generally tend to like speakers and headphones that are relatively (but not ultimately) more laid back on complex recordings to appreciate all the layers, for example Sonus Faber vs Dynaudio.**

 

 

 

*Kamelot, Nightwish (my favorite album is still Wishmaster, followed by Oceanborn), Rhapsody of Fire, After Forever (Decipher, mostly), Amberian Dawn, Epica, Manowar

**Although the Contour S5.4's aren't bad by any stretch, and are cheap compared to the Cremona Auditor; then there's the poorer man's Chinese substitute - Aurum Cantus with ribbon tweeters

post #4 of 17
The intention is for use with portable sources? Budget?
post #5 of 17
Thread Starter 

Mostly, yes. About 150 dollars

post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZtechfreak View Post

The intention is for use with portable sources? Budget?

 

I missed that part, scratch my earlier recommendation...I'd go with a K550, or the K551SLV on sale on Amazon for the same price, with some dampening mods done to the cups.*



*I got to listen to one and the upper midrange-treble was a little bit more natural and percussions a little bit deeper straight out of my Galaxy S3.

post #7 of 17
Really? The AKG? Surprises me, what I'd read about them didn't suggest they'd be great for metal.

In that price range I guess second hand HD25-1 II would be possible?
post #8 of 17

could go for sub $100 and go for NVX Audio XPT-100s and easily spank competition up to around the $300 mark for reproducing those sweet sweet sweeps/licks.

 

Avid metal fan going on nearly 16 years.

post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binge View Post
 

could go for sub $100 and go for NVX Audio XPT-100s and easily spank competition up to around the $300 mark for reproducing those sweet sweet sweeps/licks.

 

Avid metal fan going on nearly 16 years.

 

Are those an OEM of the Brainwavz HM5? (at least the chassis, if not the driver)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZtechfreak View Post

Really? The AKG? Surprises me, what I'd read about them didn't suggest they'd be great for metal.

In that price range I guess second hand HD25-1 II would be possible?

 

Let me put it this way: people here when they see "metal" it will be followed by "Grado" and usually the SR325, the same way that in other forums it would be followed by "Dynaudio (Audience or Excite)" or Spendor when I prefer Focal, Aurum Cantus, or barring realistic budget limits, Sonus Faber. I prefer the HD600, K701, and K550 in that order. The K550 has the most compromises in sound between those three but if I needed a closed back circumaural for under $300 with the intention of lugging it around (folds flat, relatively flat cups that don't make me look like I'm the pilot when I'm flying coach, etc) that would be my choice. HD25's aren't bad by any stretch, and in terms of tonal quality and dynamics I'd even say they're better (or at least, less finicky with amps and sources), but all the times I got to try it I had to move to a more isolated area as there is a sizable gap on one part of the earpad and my ear where a lot of sound goes through. If anything, I can no longer recall how they did with more layered recordings, so if I had to make any recommendation, I can't make a strong enough case for them (refer to my first post here for why I think power metal and Grados may not be the best combination).

post #10 of 17
AKG K712 sound awesome with metal. I was listening to Obscura - Omnivium last night and couldn't imagine it sounding better. Just a perfect balance across the spectrum with excellent instrument separation. They are very detailed also.

For ~ $150 portable, I'd go for Sennheiser Amperior if you don't mind on-ear phones. They sound really good out of an ipod and they are virtually indestructible. I couldn't stand the comfort personally, but some people don't mind.

Those NVX Audio phones look to be the same OEM as Brainwavz hm5, Fischer FA-003, and Jaycar Pro Monitors, but with a better headband. If they sound anything like the Brainwavz, they are OK, but not great. I'm sure they are a good bargain though.

Ha, you beat me to it Protege. And I agree, HD600 are great with metal, I love them. For a different flavor, the K712 are just as good though. Also, I had Grado SR325is and they were overly bright, but the guitar tone on them was excellent. Obituary's The End Complete is pretty boring to me on most headphones, but the 325s made the guitars very interesting and gave the album new life. I sold those phones because of how bright they are, but I regret it now. I should have kept them for short listening sessions. I may buy some Alessandro MS2s to make up for my poor decision making :P
Edited by campj - 2/3/14 at 7:45am
post #11 of 17

Interesting stuff. At the moment I'm using the HE-6 predominantly and for my tastes not heard anything in their league where metal is concerned. Will have a chance to audition the top AKG stuff at an upcoming headphone meet, look forward to testing their mettle with metal.

post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by campj View Post

Ha, you beat me to it Protege. And I agree, HD600 are great with metal, I love them. For a different flavor, the K712 are just as good though. Also, I had Grado SR325is and they were overly bright, but the guitar tone on them was excellent. Obituary's The End Complete is pretty boring to me on most headphones, but the 325s made the guitars very interesting and gave the album new life. I sold those phones because of how bright they are, but I regret it now. I should have kept them for short listening sessions. I may buy some Alessandro MS2s to make up for my poor decision making :P

 

Yep, don't get me wrong,the  SR225 and all the more the SR325 are fantastic with the guitars' tone, especially on classic rock using distortion or the overdrive on the amps. Still, on more complex recordings, they seem like they're just throwing everything at me and everything is there but spatially undefined.

 

I'm struggling on the practicality of grabbing "portable" fullsized headphones when I already have the ASG-1 ever since I heard about Grain Audio's plastic ear "pads," particularly with their longevity (which for all I know might be offset by relative lack of comfort on my end). I'll probably be in San Francisco next year, so no rush buying it without trying it out (they have stockists there where the websites say I can try 'em out). IF I like it sound-wise at the very least I'll probably recommend people to look it up instead of the K550 or MDR-1R (cups are too small for my ears, which aren't large for a 5'7" guy).
 

post #13 of 17

For $150, portable, you'll want a closed back hp. I recommend.... wait for it...




ATH-M50.

post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtegeManiac View Post

Yep, don't get me wrong,the  SR225 and all the more the SR325 are fantastic with the guitars' tone, especially on classic rock using distortion or the overdrive on the amps. Still, on more complex recordings, they seem like they're just throwing everything at me and everything is there but spatially undefined.
 

Well I don't agree in the least, but we all hear and enjoy differently!

The grados aren't "portable" but if that's the case I'd go with the hd25, I don't like the amperiors and while I love my athm50 for what they are, they are flat and boring to me with rock and metal
post #15 of 17
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Power Metal Headphones