or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Looking for suggestions on good headphones coupled with the right DAC or sound card
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for suggestions on good headphones coupled with the right DAC or sound card

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

There are the four headphones I've been looking at. I'm still very torn. I'm feeling like the Sennheiser 598's or the Philips X1's may be best for me. I've also looked at the AKG Q 701 and Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro. Comfort and good build quality are always nice. I'd rather not spend more than say $220 on headphones. After deciding on that, I'd like to look into buying a good DAC or sound card. That said, which would be better for someone who games often on PC and enjoys listening to music? The DAC or sound card...? Not really feeling like I should spend more than $200 on the card or DAC. 

 

I hope this information helps someone help me. :) If you need further information from myself, feel free to ask.

post #2 of 8

Sennheiser HD558 headphones, $110-$130.

With the Creative Sound Blaster Z sound card, $60-$90.

Good bang for the buck.

post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

Sennheiser HD558 headphones, $110-$130.

With the Creative Sound Blaster Z sound card, $60-$90.

Good bang for the buck.

 

Thank you for the response. That happened a lot more quickly than I anticipated lol

 

Just curious, is there something wrong with the headphones I listed? Is there not a huge leap in sound quality between the 598's and the 558's? Also, how are the drivers for that sound card? Do people often report a lot of issues?

post #4 of 8

People will be able to give you better headphone advice if you explain -- do you like bass? Are you sensitive to treble? What genres of music do you like?

post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 

I like bass, but I'm not very interested in having the best of the best. Not sensitive to treble. I like all types of genres. Country, rock, rap/hiphop, pop...anything that's not opera or that death metal nonsense lol

post #6 of 8

I've owned the Q701, and it's a great headphone overall, but the bass response is not impactful enough to do hiphop justice IMO. 

I'd suggest the DT-990 Pro. It's a great deal (~$150 on Amazon last time I checked). This was my first nice headphone. You get plenty of bass for hiphop and electronic, but not enough to muddy up other genres, and a large soundstage. It's a great all-arounder for the price. The main problem with it is that the treble can be on the fatiguing side for some, but it seems like that won't bother you. It's also fairly easy to drive (you don't need a monster amp, just something inexpensive). 

I have not heard the X1, but it's reputed to have good bass for an open headphone. 

post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyRhythms View Post
 

 

Thank you for the response. That happened a lot more quickly than I anticipated lol

 

Just curious, is there something wrong with the headphones I listed? Is there not a huge leap in sound quality between the 598's and the 558's? Also, how are the drivers for that sound card? Do people often report a lot of issues?

Nothing wrong with the other headphones you have listed, lots of positive feedback on them.

Just wanted to list the best value.

The HD558 and HD598 use the same driver, so getting a used HD558 and removing the black rubber tape from inside the cups helps make the HD558 sound almost like the HD598, and for the price of used HD558s.

Every (almost all?) sound cards have had drivers problems at one time or another.

I prefer Xonar sound cards, but the SB-Z is a great value and offers a lot for the price ($60-$90),

your looking at around $180 for the next step up from the SB-Z, SB-ZxR, Essence STX or Xonar DX/Schiit Magni.

post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

Nothing wrong with the other headphones you have listed, lots of positive feedback on them.

Just wanted to list the best value.

The HD558 and HD598 use the same driver, so getting a used HD558 and removing the black rubber tape from inside the cups helps make the HD558 sound almost like the HD598, and for the price of used HD558s.

Every (almost all?) sound cards have had drivers problems at one time or another.

I prefer Xonar sound cards, but the SB-Z is a great value and offers a lot for the price ($60-$90),

your looking at around $180 for the next step up from the SB-Z, SB-ZxR, Essence STX or Xonar DX/Schiit Magni.

Ok, thanks for the suggestions. Man and yourself have been helpful. I have a difficult decision to make.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Looking for suggestions on good headphones coupled with the right DAC or sound card