Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › E11 --> E17 Is it really worth it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

E11 --> E17 Is it really worth it?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

Hi friends,

 

so at the moment, I'm looking to upgrade from the E11 to the E17, but I'm not really sure if it's worth it so I wanted to get the opinions of those who own either or both the devices.

 

So my current set up that I like using is a Sandisk Sansa Clip Zip with AKG Q701s. Just wondering if it is worth upgrading if I am looking for the most accurate sound reproduction?

 

I will also use the E17 with my notebook computer with the Q701.

 

Worth upgrading?? Thanks

 

 

 

post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by syNRG View Post
 

Hi friends,

 

so at the moment, I'm looking to upgrade from the E11 to the E17, but I'm not really sure if it's worth it so I wanted to get the opinions of those who own either or both the devices.

So my current set up that I like using is a Sandisk Sansa Clip Zip with AKG Q701s. Just wondering if it is worth upgrading if I am looking for the most accurate sound reproduction?

I will also use the E17 with my notebook computer with the Q701.

Worth upgrading?? Thanks

The E11 comes with a more powerful headphone amplifier, then the E17.

Also you can not use the E17's DAC feature with the Clip Zip (just the E17 amplifier).

The E17's DAC feature (and Amp) can be used with the notebook, that's a plus.

post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

The E11 comes with a more powerful headphone amplifier, then the E17.

Also you can not use the E17's DAC feature with the Clip Zip (just the E17 amplifier).

The E17's DAC feature (and Amp) can be used with the notebook, that's a plus.

Is it worth using the E17 with my computer? I'm looking for something that will produce natural and accurate audio. The DAC seems like it would be a lot better than the onboard sound card on my computer. 

The E11 amp is more powerful, but I won't be powering something that has a lot of resistance, all headphones under 100 ohms. So is it worth?

post #4 of 9

I just got my E17 and using it with a Cowon I9+ at volume 10 Dac amp at 41 with Westone UM3's. I'm playing wma lossless. Totally changes the sound. I can hear crisp clean details I could not hear before. Sounds a little warm but punchy base and mids are nice. Treble is crisp and clear. Well balanced sound overall. Amazing detail! Plenty of volume, I don't know how high it goes but in the 40s seems to be the sweet spot for me. Only been listening to it for a few hours, I read it has a burn in period so I'm expecting the sound to change after a week or so.

Probably use it about 5 hours a day. I think the battery life is 10 - 15 hours. For me it was a good investment for my budget. I'll update you after the burn in. For now the difference is night and day as far as the sound quality. No hiss at all.


Edited by GateKPR4 - 2/7/14 at 1:39am
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GateKPR4 View Post
 

I just got my E17 and using it with a Cowon I9+ at volume 10 Dac amp at 41 with Westone UM3's. I'm playing wma lossless. Totally changes the sound. I can hear crisp clean details I could not hear before. Sounds a little warm but punchy base and mids are nice. Treble is crisp and clear. Well balanced sound overall. Amazing detail! Plenty of volume, I don't know how high it goes but in the 40s seems to be the sweet spot for me. Only been listening to it for a few hours, I read it has a burn in period so I'm expecting the sound to change after a week or so.

Probably use it about 5 hours a day. I think the battery life is 10 - 15 hours. For me it was a good investment for my budget. I'll update you after the burn in. For now the difference is night and day as far as the sound quality. No hiss at all.

I know that that is the case, but you're using a portable player. have you tried with the desktop? I want to know if it makes a difference there. I mean if it doesn't, I'm not sure if I would be willing to purchase one since the E11 features a better amp. 

post #6 of 9

Haven't tried it with my desktop though it would be interesting to hear the results. This is my first DAC AMP and got it for portability.

I'm still new here and there is a lot I do not know about amps.

post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by syNRG View Post
 

Is it worth using the E17 with my computer? I'm looking for something that will produce natural and accurate audio. The DAC seems like it would be a lot better than the on-board sound card on my computer. 

The E11 amp is more powerful, but I won't be powering something that has a lot of resistance, all headphones under 100 ohms. So is it worth?

The E17's WM8740 DAC chip should be a fair bit better then the bargain priced DAC that you would find in a laptop.

The E17's headphone amplifier should have enough power to drive most headphones, I would assume there are those that use 250-Ohm headphones with their E17.

post #8 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GateKPR4 View Post

Haven't tried it with my desktop though it would be interesting to hear the results. This is my first DAC AMP and got it for portability.
I'm still new here and there is a lot I do not know about amps.
Think you will give ita shot. I really want to find something that is natural and accurate, and i know that the ones found in laptops are not too crash hot
post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

The E17's headphone amplifier should have enough power to drive most headphones, I would assume there are those that use 250-Ohm headphones with their E17.
Think it is possible to power planar magnetic headphones? At the moment I may buy a set of Alpha Dogs, but I am worried abou the amping with my Sansa Clip
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › E11 --> E17 Is it really worth it?