Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Grado SR60/80 - great for rock/blues but open. Need sth like that but closed.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado SR60/80 - great for rock/blues but open. Need sth like that but closed.

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 

Howdy,

 

As far as I know, Grado SR60/80 are great headphones for blues and classic rock. The problem is that they are open cans... Could you recommend something that would sound great for that kind of music and be closed at the same time?

 

I'm leaning towards Audio-Technica M50.

 

Thanks

post #2 of 19
I don't really listen to that kind of music, and I'm not sure that there's a consensus about sound signature for them. However, from my understanding, the Sennheiser HD25-1 II are the closed Grados you're looking for. They are supra aural though.
post #3 of 19
I think I would look at the Sennheiser HD449, Audio-Technica A700X and Shure SRH840. If you want a bit more bass, then also look at the Creative Aurvana Live and the Logitech UE6000.
post #4 of 19
Oh! I forgot about the HD25 and the Amperiors. Here's a deal:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106684&Tpk=N82E16826106684
post #5 of 19
HD25-1 and its variants are the most Grado-like I've heard and they play rock well. I don't enjoy them because they sound a little shrill. They press very hard against the ears, which is why they're so isolating.

I don't recommend M50 for those genres because its treble is thin and metallic. That's why I returned it. String instruments need better treble (such as Grados wink.gif).

My favorite closed models aren't Grado-like, but they're good all-rounders. I especially enjoy SRH840, though the headband needs some modding. It's somewhat warm whilst still being clear. I have less experience with DT770-250 ohms, but I liked what I heard--pretty smooth and integrated--and it's comfortable. Both of those were very pleasant surprises to me. Maybe they demonstrate that although open beats closed, closed has its own virtues.
post #6 of 19
Thread Starter 

Thank you for your answers! I definitely DON'T want a lot of bass... I listen to blues, acoustic blues and classic rock but I don't want to have bass covering everything else...

 

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I use Ipod Classic so anything over 60 or 80ohms is unlikely to work fine (I guess)

 

EDIT2: I'd go for Shure 840 but I'm afraid my Ipod won't be able to drive them. M50s wouldn't be a problem but I heard they're a bit bassy.

 

EDIT3: How about SRH440?

 

EDIT4: I've just read this review and it looks like M50s are simply better than SRH840s... Of course I'm taking this review with a pinch of salt because I've read so many different opinions about M50s that I'm left utterly confused...

 

http://www.headfonia.com/closed-cans-shootout-m-50-esw-9-t50p-hd25-1-beats-studio-srh-840-srh-750dj-k181dj-and-dj1pro/3/


Edited by mesmerized - 2/2/14 at 4:21am
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesmerized View Post
 

 

As far as I know, Grado SR60/80 are great headphones for blues and classic rock. The problem is that they are open cans... Could you recommend something that would sound great for that kind of music and be closed at the same time?

 

A closed-back Grado?

 

It doesn't seem to isolate in terms of leakage very well though, but sound coming in it's probably better than the usual Grados.


Edited by ProtegeManiac - 2/2/14 at 7:59am
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesmerized View Post
 

 

EDIT4: I've just read this review and it looks like M50s are simply better than SRH840s... Of course I'm taking this review with a pinch of salt because I've read so many different opinions about M50s that I'm left utterly confused...

 

http://www.headfonia.com/closed-cans-shootout-m-50-esw-9-t50p-hd25-1-beats-studio-srh-840-srh-750dj-k181dj-and-dj1pro/3/

When it comes to M50's, the story is somewhat similar to the one of Beats: take everything you read about them with a pinch of salt (especially on head-fi). Fanboys will overrate its capabilities, haters will underrate said capabilities, and you're in the middle wondering who you should listen to. The biggest fanboys and haters, yeah, you'll find them here on head-fi. Personally I found the M50's to be a jack of all trades, master of none. They are solid and well-rounded, and renders most music styles pretty good, but you won't get the "EDM of Ultrasones", "Rock of Grados" or "Classical music of Fleur d'Anus".


Edited by Coq de Combat - 2/2/14 at 9:09am
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesmerized View Post
 

Thank you for your answers! I definitely DON'T want a lot of bass... I listen to blues, acoustic blues and classic rock but I don't want to have bass covering everything else...

 

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I use Ipod Classic so anything over 60 or 80ohms is unlikely to work fine (I guess)

 

EDIT2: I'd go for Shure 840 but I'm afraid my Ipod won't be able to drive them. M50s wouldn't be a problem but I heard they're a bit bassy.

 

EDIT3: How about SRH440?

 

EDIT4: I've just read this review and it looks like M50s are simply better than SRH840s... Of course I'm taking this review with a pinch of salt because I've read so many different opinions about M50s that I'm left utterly confused...

 

http://www.headfonia.com/closed-cans-shootout-m-50-esw-9-t50p-hd25-1-beats-studio-srh-840-srh-750dj-k181dj-and-dj1pro/3/

 

I prefer a bass-light sound, but I didn't find the bass overwhelming on SRH840. My iPod 5.5 drove it fine; it probably produced less bass unamped. I actually spoke to an engineer at Shure HQ (it's here in Chicago) who confirmed that SRH840 was designed to play well without an amp. I'm curious about SRH440 too. Reviews emphasize: bass roll off resulting in either neutrality or some brightness; similar comfort issues requiring the headband mod.

 

Before I joined Head-Fi, I read a lot of Headfonia reviews, so be aware that Mike prefers dark treble and considerable bass, which explains his preference for ATH-M50. Besides that, remember that he is trying to sell gear so expect some false positives ;). Same thing with the Head-Fi seasonal guides. Our "journey" is their business.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtegeManiac View Post
 

A closed-back Grado? It doesn't seem to isolate in terms of leakage very well though, but sound coming in it's probably better than the usual Grados.

 

I've done some reading on the subject myself: http://www.head-fi.org/t/689357/closed-grados-a-compilation-of-30-threads-poll. Based on charts, I'm curious about K271-II.

post #10 of 19
Thread Starter 

Thanks so much for all your insights folks! 

 

I guess it all comes down to SRH440 vs SRH840... What do you think? 

 

EDIT: I also listen to a lot of Pink Floydish stuff. Hope SRHs will do fine with that kind of music.


Edited by mesmerized - 2/2/14 at 1:34pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesmerized View Post

Thanks so much for all your insights folks! 

I guess it all comes down to SRH440 vs SRH840... What do you think? 

EDIT: I also listen to a lot of Pink Floydish stuff. Hope SRHs will do fine with that kind of music.

I haven't heard SRH440 yet, so I hope someone who's heard both can tells us about it. Many replace the pads with 840 pads, but there's a minor disagreement about what it does for the sound.
Edited by Claritas - 3/30/14 at 5:46pm
post #12 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post


I haven't heard SRH440 yet, so I hope someone who's heard both can tells us about it. I do know that you'll want to replace the stock 440 pleathers with 840 memory foam pads.

Is it necessary to replace them? I assume you're suggesting that because of comfort reasons? Does it have anything to do with sound quality? 

 

EDIT: I think I'm gonna go for SRH440s... I hope they will do fine with Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyed and heaps of blues ;)


Edited by mesmerized - 2/2/14 at 2:01pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesmerized View Post

Is it necessary to replace them? I assume you're suggesting that because of comfort reasons? Does it have anything to do with sound quality?

Comfort, so far as I know. I should think the difference in sound would be minimal, though the memory foam will be more isolating.

Edit: Some 440 fans contend that it was tuned for use with stock pads (or vice versa).
Edited by Claritas - 3/30/14 at 8:38am
post #14 of 19
If you want to experiment with an amp, you can always pick-up a Fiio E6 for $30 or a PA2V2 or CMoy off eBay.

This is how it starts, and it's a slippery slope from here... tongue.gif
post #15 of 19
Thread Starter 

Thanks a million guys! One more question, does anyone know  a wonderful piece of music called "Jingo" from Santana's first album? I wanna get a nice powerful sound of the drums in music like that. Do you think SRHs will do fine with such kind of music? I listen to lots of world music as well.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Grado SR60/80 - great for rock/blues but open. Need sth like that but closed.