New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Zealand meet, May 24th in Auckland - Page 16  

post #226 of 366
Hi All

I just joined headfi and just brought tickets for the nz meet.

I am more of a diy'er so would there be any interest in me bringing a fully balanced ss discrete headphone amp, of my own design, and a modified 325i.
I have a balanced dac in the works but it probably won't be ready by then.

Cheers

Tim
post #227 of 366
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by head-diy View Post

Hi All

I just joined headfi and just brought tickets for the nz meet.

I am more of a diy'er so would there be any interest in me bringing a fully balanced ss discrete headphone amp, of my own design, and a modified 325i.
I have a balanced dac in the works but it probably won't be ready by then.

Cheers

Tim

 

Awesome to have you along!

 

I would absolutely love to hear some DIY gear... I'm an HE-6 owner, so always keen to meet anyone who might (for a fee of course) be able to build me some First Watt DIY amps for the 6 :)

post #228 of 366
Actually my amp should be able to drive a HE-6. I could put together an adapter.
post #229 of 366
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by head-diy View Post

Actually my amp should be able to drive a HE-6. I could put together an adapter.

Sir, you have officially piqued my interest. What are your amps specs? What outputs does it have? I have 4-pin XLR, every kind of single-ended connection and speaker tap (banana plugs) connections for my HE-6...
post #230 of 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZtechfreak View Post

Sir, you have officially piqued my interest. What are your amps specs? What outputs does it have? I have 4-pin XLR, every kind of single-ended connection and speaker tap (banana plugs) connections for my HE-6...

I use a hi-spec but small hirose connector that I am pretty sure you won't have but I have a spare plug that I could wire up.

My amp as it stands could put about 1.5W into the 50 ohm. Though with bigger heat sinks it could do more.
It is a fully balanced JFET input MOSFET output class A design, in some way similar to one of Nelson Pass's first watt designs but balanced.

I am happy to demo my work at the meet.
post #231 of 366
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by head-diy View Post

I use a hi-spec but small hirose connector that I am pretty sure you won't have but I have a spare plug that I could wire up.

My amp as it stands could put about 1.5W into the 50 ohm. Though with bigger heat sinks it could do more.
It is a fully balanced JFET input MOSFET output class A design, in some way similar to one of Nelson Pass's first watt designs but balanced.

I am happy to demo my work at the meet.

Interesting! 1.5W sounds too little for the HE-6 generally speaking, but that said some of Nelsons lower wattage designs are still reputed to be pretty good with the 6, so judgement reserved until I've had ears-on. FWIW, the best I've heard the 6 was from a Luxman speaker amp off the speaker taps at 110W per channel into 8ohm. On that setup I preferred them to the Abyss on a much more expensive rig.
Edited by NZtechfreak - 4/18/14 at 4:38am
post #232 of 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZtechfreak View Post

Interesting! 1.5W sounds too little for the HE-6 generally speaking, but that said some of Nelsons lower wattage designs are still reputed to be pretty good with the 6, so judgement reserved until I've had ears-on. FWIW, the best I've heard the 6 was from a Luxman speaker amp off the speaker taps at 110W per channel into 8ohm. On that setup I preferred them to the Abyss on a much more expensive rig.

My headphone amp was really only designed to drive my grado's, which max out at 0.1W.

Maybe I will bring my one of my pairs of amps that I built to drive my speakers (they will be a 3way active design when I get them finished). They are also balanced class A but are designed to put 50W into 8ohm so should drive your he-6's easily.
post #233 of 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattanus View Post

Will anyone have any of the schiit range at the meet? really curious about that.

Left my Valhalla back in the States, but I will bring the Vali with me.

From what I've read in this thread, Schiit should be pretty well represented.
post #234 of 366
Thread Starter 
Anyone here had dealings with AV World in Auckland? They posted a question to the Trademe auction, without declaring who they were, attempting to undermine the event and promote themselves. So instead of embracing the event and community, they resorted to douchebaggery that doesn't speak well of their integrity. They'll never see a red cent of my money.
post #235 of 366
well, i dont think that guy is from av world. they shoudnt be that stupid.....
post #236 of 366
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by onehungano1 View Post

well, i dont think that guy is from av world. they shoudnt be that stupid.....

 

They asked me another question and said it was their shop...

post #237 of 366
now he made me hate their shop.....this guy just doesnt know how to do the marketing.....
post #238 of 366

That was uncalled for...

post #239 of 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZtechfreak View Post

Anyone here had dealings with AV World in Auckland? They posted a question to the Trademe auction, without declaring who they were, attempting to undermine the event and promote themselves. So instead of embracing the event and community, they resorted to douchebaggery that doesn't speak well of their integrity. They'll never see a red cent of my money.


hmmm that all sounds very AWKWARD (as the saying goes)... I've recently re-awakened my interest into music listening using headphones now that its more common place to have true HDmusic 24bit/96/192K .flac files. I have a Ponoplayer on its way (massive Neil Young fan)  ex the recent Kickstarter project, own a Fiio X5 (bought as an interim other option) and i am hunting for some good up-there cans (yeah i know, headphones)  and it's always interesting to watch the retailers reactions so far with those i have visited (which is only a few)...

 

I have NOTHING to do with AV World i stipulate that now. My only so-far tease has been to hear a set of AKG K812s and after i got back up off the floor from the shock of the experience which has brought me here, the upcoming NZ meet could not have come at a better time... (so i will be buying a ticket) and have already made sure i am not working that day....

 

I am a DIYer too and have been nutting out a good project for the handfull of EF91/95 and ECC81 CV00xx series tubes (valves) i have inherited along the way. Interestingly those of you who know tubes, CVs series stuff tends to be solder in only (they have no socket pins) so that would make any chance at tube rolling a little different. I spent all yesterday studying SRPP and the like or considering where to buy output matching transformers to drive my current AKG Q701s (62Ω). I am a huge valve amp fan but i build them simply because i cannot afford the cost of commercially made units...and i like the idea of putting the best possible quality source material signal through them...

 

So before i plonk down probably more than $2000 on a set of top-end headphones, being able to see them in the flesh let alone have a listen (i hope) is gonna be great so i say thanks for starting the ball rolling on organising the Meet.

 

Pete

post #240 of 366
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by morristhecat View Post
 


hmmm that all sounds very AWKWARD (as the saying goes)... I've recently re-awakened my interest into music listening using headphones now that its more common place to have true HDmusic 24bit/96/192K .flac files. I have a Ponoplayer on its way (massive Neil Young fan)  ex the recent Kickstarter project, own a Fiio X5 (bought as an interim other option) and i am hunting for some good up-there cans (yeah i know, headphones)  and it's always interesting to watch the retailers reactions so far with those i have visited (which is only a few)...

 

I have NOTHING to do with AV World i stipulate that now. My only so-far tease has been to hear a set of AKG K812s and after i got back up off the floor from the shock of the experience which has brought me here, the upcoming NZ meet could not have come at a better time... (so i will be buying a ticket) and have already made sure i am not working that day....

 

I am a DIYer too and have been nutting out a good project for the handfull of EF91/95 and ECC81 CV00xx series tubes (valves) i have inherited along the way. Interestingly those of you who know tubes, CVs series stuff tends to be solder in only (they have no socket pins) so that would make any chance at tube rolling a little different. I spent all yesterday studying SRPP and the like or considering where to buy output matching transformers to drive my current AKG Q701s (62Ω). I am a huge valve amp fan but i build them simply because i cannot afford the cost of commercially made units...and i like the idea of putting the best possible quality source material signal through them...

 

So before i plonk down probably more than $2000 on a set of top-end headphones, being able to see them in the flesh let alone have a listen (i hope) is gonna be great so i say thanks for starting the ball rolling on organising the Meet.

 

Pete

 

Welcome!

 

When is the Pono set to arrive? I'm a bit sceptical, some of Neil's Young's ravings about audio quality seem to have a tenuous relationship to fact, but I'm very interested to hear it nevertheless. Also would love to hear the X5.

 

Man, if you're just getting into this stuff the meet will blow your socks off!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
This thread is locked