Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › noob needs new headphones!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

noob needs new headphones!

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
hey I'm new to this forum and in desperate need of some over ear headphones.excuse me if I seem slightly inexperienced with my headphone speak.. As I am.
my jvc ha-s600 have had it. They' were my first headphones and to my inexperienced ears, sounded fine. but after reading the reviews and comparing them to other cans, perhaps they're not so great after all. I tried my friends Sony MDR XB500s the other day and oh my they are brilliant! I'm so jealous, they're everything I'm looking for in a pair of headphones -
  • clear, but deep and big bass
  • balanced, clear, intricate sound
  • comfort (however this isn't essential, as long as they're not super uncomfortable)
  • over ear headphones with good space between ear and speaker
so those are the things I'm looking for in my new headphones - anyone's who used a pair of XB500s will know the sound I'm looking for. over ear is essential as I really dislike on ears (cuz otherwise I'd probably have bought some sony xb300s, but they're not for me) And im using a pair of Sony IEMs atm, which just make me sad as they are ruining my experience of listening to music!
But here's the twist - I preferably need a pair that tick those boxes, but under £70!! And I've gotta be quite stingy atm so even £50 is a stretch for me! Sorry if I seem pretentious, unrealistic or too demanding, but I'm in desperate need of a new pair of good headphones!
Your help is very much invited and appreciated! smily_headphones1.gif
post #2 of 16

Hi,

 

You should strongly consider Takstar HD5500. Probably your best bet! (based on your requirements)

 

Best Luck!

post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 

Wow, Takstar HD5500s seem really good from the research I've done so far. Cheers for the suggestion. Just wondering if you have a pair though and can tell me what the ear cups are like - I've got normal sized ear, not too big or small, so would the cups cover my ears, as i think i would find it really annoying if they didn't? :confused_face(1):

 Thanks :gs1000smile:

post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by IJUSTWANNACHILL View Post

hI tried my friends Sony MDR XB500s the other day and oh my they are brilliant! I'm so jealous, they're everything I'm looking for in a pair of headphones -
  • clear, but deep and big bass
  • balanced, clear, intricate sound
  • comfort (however this isn't essential, as long as they're not super uncomfortable)
  • over ear headphones with good space between ear and speaker

Hmm somethings not right here :)

i tried the XB 500, and i can tell you.. Those cans are the heaviest bassmonsters out there, along with a few others.

The Sound is VERY dull and dark. The extreme bass is overlaping the mids/treble.

They are definetly NOT "clear" since alot of details just arent there in that extreme bass.

 

Theres alot of other phones, who might not have "that much" bass, but are 10 times more clear and balanced than the XB 500. (XB = Xtreme Bass, which is never "balanced").

 

For example, if you live in Europe: http://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_hd_681_evo_bk.htm?sid=b57a87871f36cf353eb06dbe448257bd

Pretty balanced, but more of a dark fun sounding. Better soundstage / Details / more clear than the xb 500.

That Superlux is really worth a try, since they are REALLY awesome for that Price. Sometimes even better than more expensive headphones.

 

But: They are not closed cans, so they are great for listening at home, but nothing for mobile usage.


Edited by Darkseth - 2/1/14 at 7:25am
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseth View Post
 

 

i tried the XB 500, 

 did you try the XB 900/920

i want to know how they sound

post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by IJUSTWANNACHILL View Post

 I tried my friends Sony MDR XB500s the other day and oh my they are brilliant! I'm so jealous, they're everything I'm looking for in a pair of headphones
 anyone's who used a pair of XB500s will know the sound I'm looking for. over ear is essential as I really dislike on ear

how can XB 500 be everything you want if they're ON EAR and you don't want on ear?

If you like'em that much buy'em.They're good.

post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseth View Post

 

Hmm somethings not right here :)

i tried the XB 500, and i can tell you.. Those cans are the heaviest bassmonsters out there, along with a few others.

The Sound is VERY dull and dark. The extreme bass is overlaping the mids/treble.

They are definetly NOT "clear" since alot of details just arent there in that extreme bass.

 

Theres alot of other phones, who might not have "that much" bass, but are 10 times more clear and balanced than the XB 500. (XB = Xtreme Bass, which is never "balanced").

Well as I said I'm a major novice with headphones as I've only ever had 3 pairs in my 16 years of life, so perhaps the XB500s aren't all they seemed at my one time of listening to them, but to me they sounded great! They were much more detailed than my JVC HA S600s, and seemed to have much clearer highs and mids and not at all muddy bass... but I do feel like the HA S600s I had for probably 2 years, and the fact that they were my first headphones, have caused me to become acquired to big bass that packs a punch. This is because I mostly listen to hip hop and electronic music, so I really like bass to fill the headphones and the drums to bump! That being said, I also listen to a lot of rock, pop, jazz and bossa nova so I have matured to desire some more detailed balanced headphones. But don't get me wrong though , the bass that the XB500s had is the amount I want, but a warmer detailed sound is also on my wishlist! :) again i hope i'm not being unrealistic :/

post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicFAIL View Post
 

how can XB 500 be everything you want if they're ON EAR and you don't want on ear?

If you like'em that much buy'em.They're good.

 What? Nah man, from what I remember I read MDR XB500 on the headphones and all my search results come up with over ear headphones...

post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseth View Post

 

For example, if you live in Europe: http://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_hd_681_evo_bk.htm?sid=b57a87871f36cf353eb06dbe448257bd

Pretty balanced, but more of a dark fun sounding. Better soundstage / Details / more clear than the xb 500.

That Superlux is really worth a try, since they are REALLY awesome for that Price. Sometimes even better than more expensive headphones.

 

But: They are not closed cans, so they are great for listening at home, but nothing for mobile usage.

Also those HD 681s look great! Does the bass pack a punch though? What do you mean by closed cans though? does that mean they're made to leak sound or something? :confused_face(1): 

post #10 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseth View Post

 

For example, if you live in Europe: http://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_hd_681_evo_bk.htm?sid=b57a87871f36cf353eb06dbe448257bd

Pretty balanced, but more of a dark fun sounding. Better soundstage / Details / more clear than the xb 500.

That Superlux is really worth a try, since they are REALLY awesome for that Price. Sometimes even better than more expensive headphones.

 

But: They are not closed cans, so they are great for listening at home, but nothing for mobile usage.

Those Superlux HD 681s look great, and so cheap! The bass punch i'm looking for is one that would make the kick drum in Massive Attack's Teardrop really thump and hit hard, or the singing and piano in Just a Friend by Biz Markie come through clear and sharp and still have the drums come through big and bumping. Would you say those superluxs are capable?

post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by IJUSTWANNACHILL View Post
 

Well as I said I'm a major novice with headphones as I've only ever had 3 pairs in my 16 years of life, so perhaps the XB500s aren't all they seemed at my one time of listening to them, but to me they sounded great! They were much more detailed than my JVC HA S600s, and seemed to have much clearer highs and mids and not at all muddy bass... but I do feel like the HA S600s I had for probably 2 years, and the fact that they were my first headphones, have caused me to become acquired to big bass that packs a punch. This is because I mostly listen to hip hop and electronic music, so I really like bass to fill the headphones and the drums to bump! That being said, I also listen to a lot of rock, pop, jazz and bossa nova so I have matured to desire some more detailed balanced headphones. But don't get me wrong though , the bass that the XB500s had is the amount I want, but a warmer detailed sound is also on my wishlist! :) again i hope i'm not being unrealistic :/

Depends.. THIS amount of bass is very rare. Because it swallows just SO much details on the whole rest. If you hear the 4-times amount of bass, its no wonder, that the treble is getting drowned.

i would recommend... Listen to more than just the XB 500, for example those Superlux i posted. Try them for at least a Week, and THEN try the XB 500 again, and you will see hear clearly, what the XB 500 is missing.

Once you hear those details, you cannot hear with the XB 500, you will miss them for sure. Also, if you start hearing phones with a good bass Quality, you dont want to miss that any longer. And you might start liking less bass for a better soundquality, and wont be that happy with this XB 500 bass anymore, once you heared whats all possible (happened to a friend. He was a brutal basshead. Used heavy bass phones with max Bass Equalizer setting to be happy. Now he cannot even listen with bass heavy phones without any EQ. He rather uses some more natural sounding ones)

The XB 500 have MUCH bass, but thats not very good. Its kinda muddy, and not very detailed/precise. Theres ALOT above them.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJUSTWANNACHILL View Post
 

 What? Nah man, from what I remember I read MDR XB500 on the headphones and all my search results come up with over ear headphones...


They are onears. The Earpads are just SO big and soft, that they are still pretty comfortable.

post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseth View Post
 

Depends.. THIS amount of bass is very rare. Because it swallows just SO much details on the whole rest. If you hear the 4-times amount of bass, its no wonder, that the treble is getting drowned.

i would recommend... Listen to more than just the XB 500, for example those Superlux i posted. Try them for at least a Week, and THEN try the XB 500 again, and you will see hear clearly, what the XB 500 is missing.

Once you hear those details, you cannot hear with the XB 500, you will miss them for sure. Also, if you start hearing phones with a good bass Quality, you dont want to miss that any longer. And you might start liking less bass for a better soundquality, and wont be that happy with this XB 500 bass anymore, once you heared whats all possible (happened to a friend. He was a brutal basshead. Used heavy bass phones with max Bass Equalizer setting to be happy. Now he cannot even listen with bass heavy phones without any EQ. He rather uses some more natural sounding ones)

The XB 500 have MUCH bass, but thats not very good. Its kinda muddy, and not very detailed/precise. Theres ALOT above them.

 

Thanks so much for your help man! You're really enlightening me (that's not a pisstake, for real) :P Those Superluxs that you linked look great and are so cheap! and the reviews are so tempting but I've also seen their size which is pretty huge and I am looking for something to go in public with, without looking too stupid :/ Not wishing to sound too demanding, but do you know any headphones of the same caliber and similar price but smaller? 

post #13 of 16

Takstar HD5500 ear cups are not really big and it is not correct to say they are Over-ear headphones. That said, the earcups are pretty large comparing with most On-ear headphones and most people tend to agree that this headphones provide good comfort. The On-ear closed back design helps to provide an impactful and intimate bass presentation. (Punchy sound)

post #14 of 16

Oh year, those Superlux are nothing for public/mobile, because they arent closed, and so they leak alot of sound.

Need some closed ones, like those Takstars.

 

Also thise one is also pretty nice (according to most, similar good as the Superlux, just closed): http://www.amazon.co.uk/Monoprice-Premium-Hi-Fi-Style-Headphone/dp/B007SP2CO2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1391280745&sr=8-2&keywords=monoprice

 

How they compare to Takstar... idk.^^;

 

I think, both wouldnt be a bad choice.

post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseth View Post

 

 those Superlux are nothing for public/mobile, 

and they're um..ugly

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › noob needs new headphones!