Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › Doodlebug - USB Isolator
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Doodlebug - USB Isolator - Page 2

post #16 of 197

 

The boards look good.

 

I should be able to get one together next Friday

or when I get a board...whichever comes later.

post #17 of 197

okay, I see why you did not like my little discovery. I am just guessing yours is better :D could you say what wallwart you are using  please. or if it is custom post a pic? thanks. I was just interested in what it looked like.

post #18 of 197

I'm very interested in grabbing a few of these when the production boards/kits/whatever are released.

 

Any reason not to use smd rectifiers also? Should make a quicker and cleaner build.

post #19 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoSmuggler View Post
 

Any reason not to use smd rectifiers also? Should make a quicker and cleaner build.

 

I can easily change to SMD rectifiers.

I had no compelling reason to use one over

the other and 1N400x are cheap and plentiful.

post #20 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_man View Post
 

 could you say what wallwart you are using  please

The isolator is designed to use pretty much any AC or DC adapter

working at 6 VAC up to 9 VAC @ 1 A. It has a bridge rectifier and

regulator on board.

Here is an example

post #21 of 197
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avro_Arrow View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoSmuggler View Post
 

Any reason not to use smd rectifiers also? Should make a quicker and cleaner build.

 

I can easily change to SMD rectifiers.

I had no compelling reason to use one over

the other and 1N400x are cheap and plentiful.


Yes, I have no issue with the rectifiers either way.  When we get to kitting it, I will probably use the same rectifiers that I have for MiniMAX kits and other designs.  It's sort of like the PupDAC in that there will probably always be a mix of SMD and through-hole, because of the capacitors and LEDs, I think.  The through-hole diodes are awfully cheap and plentiful everywhere, though.  Avro's response also indicates the flexibility - 1N400X.  So, pretty much any voltage rating will work.

 

I hope to have the web page and BOM up sometime tomorrow - been working on it!

post #22 of 197
Thread Starter 
post #23 of 197

 

Looks good

I like the "Doodlebug" logo.

Now we just need a cute bug graphic...

 

After I hear back from the prototypers,

I'll have a version 2.5 for production (I already

made a sight change based on what saw

on the 2.4 board).

 

Good luck to the prototype builders!

post #24 of 197
Thread Starter 

Thanks, Avro!

 

Another day delay in shipping - I spent all day getting the BOM and the webpage setup that I don't have time to go to the Post Office.  I do have the envelopes prepared, though.  They'll go out tomorrow. :o

post #25 of 197
Thread Starter 

fordgtlover pointed out that the C1 cap is out of stock at Mouser already.:mad:

 

I'm ordering this one tonight:

75-MKT1817210404

It's a Vishay-Roederstein, which I've always considered equal to Wima's and it's almost the very same size.  This is for power decoupling at the USB input jack, too - so no great need for super-high-quality, I would think.

post #26 of 197
Yea, as long as it's an appropriate value and voltage and fits the footprint...
There are only a couple components on the whole boards that are in
any way critical.
post #27 of 197

parts ordered :) 

post #28 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avro_Arrow View Post
 

The isolator is designed to use pretty much any AC or DC adapter

working at 6 VAC up to 9 VAC @ 1 A. It has a bridge rectifier and

regulator on board.

Here is an example


Sorry, just to clarify, the power can also be 6-9 VDC? Or is it limited to 6-9 VAC?

post #29 of 197

it has to be AC as there is onboard rectification

post #30 of 197

Eventually, will the Doodlebug be available built to purchase? As there are those of us that really are technically inept. :(

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › Doodlebug - USB Isolator