Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ODAC upgrade ? Asgard upgrade ? What is the next step?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ODAC upgrade ? Asgard upgrade ? What is the next step?

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 

Hey guys !

 

I'm thinking of an upgrade on my setup. I'm currently listening to this: Foobar> ODAC> Asgard 1> HD 600 / Denon D5000

I will sell the Denon and wanted your help.

So, what would be best for me? Upgrade Asgard or Upgrade ODAC?
 
 
(Do not want to change my HD 600, I am very happy with it.)
 
Thanks :beyersmile:
 

 

post #2 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by glunteer View Post
 

Hey guys !

I'm thinking of an upgrade on my setup. I'm currently listening to this: Foobar> ODAC> Asgard 1> HD 600 / Denon D5000

I will sell the Denon and wanted your help.
So, what would be best for me? Upgrade Asgard or Upgrade ODAC?
(Do not want to change my HD 600, I am very happy with it.)
 
Thanks :beyersmile:

Did you have a budget for the audio upgrade?

Can't really see a good reason for replacing the ODAC.

But maybe a tube amplifier might make some nice changes in the audio.

post #3 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

Did you have a budget for the audio upgrade?

Can't really see a good reason for replacing the ODAC.

But maybe a tube amplifier might make some nice changes in the audio.

What would be a good upgrade leaving the ODAC? Maybe Bifrost?

post #4 of 22
Some might say there isn't a good upgrade from the ODAC - and that spending more won't give you more. I'm not sure about that - but I suspect the upgrade might be pretty subtle and related more to the look & feel of quality than to the sound. YMMV...

Other than having money burning a hole in your pocket, is there a specific reason you feel the need for the upgrade? What isn't the ODAC doing for you? That might help us understand what sort of upgrade might help.

OTOH, if you are just looking for something that costs more and looks nice, there are lots of choices - the Schiit products being good ones. The Bifrost is very flexible due to the modular design and the variety of inputs it can accept - as well as having high quality clock and D/A components. I have no idea if any of that correlates to being audibly significantly better. I'm too cheap to find out...
post #5 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

Some might say there isn't a good upgrade from the ODAC - and that spending more won't give you more. I'm not sure about that - but I suspect the upgrade might be pretty subtle and related more to the look & feel of quality than to the sound. YMMV...

Other than having money burning a hole in your pocket, is there a specific reason you feel the need for the upgrade? What isn't the ODAC doing for you? That might help us understand what sort of upgrade might help.

OTOH, if you are just looking for something that costs more and looks nice, there are lots of choices - the Schiit products being good ones. The Bifrost is very flexible due to the modular design and the variety of inputs it can accept - as well as having high quality clock and D/A components. I have no idea if any of that correlates to being audibly significantly better. I'm too cheap to find out...
 
 
 

I do not know how I can improve by changing the ODAC, because I never heard a DAC better understand? So I'm asking for your help to find out what would be best for me.

 

 

post #6 of 22
And what happens if you buy the Bifrost and you can't really hear a difference between it and the ODAC? That is a possibility, understand?
post #7 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

And what happens if you buy the Bifrost and you can't really hear a difference between it and the ODAC? That is a possibility, understand?

It's complicated :confused_face:

 

Not have the test before it is too bad ... because I have no way to compare. There never know what I need to improve on my setup to have a better sound.

post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by glunteer View Post
 
I do not know how I can improve by changing the ODAC, because I never heard a DAC better understand? So I'm asking for your help to find out what would be best for me.

Why not just get a Schiit tube amplifier, I think you would get more possible improve with a good tube amp.

post #9 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

Why not just get a Schiit tube amplifier, I think you would get more possible improve with a good tube amp.


Valhalla ? A Schiit Lyr would be too expensive for me

post #10 of 22

lol... a schiit tube amplifier...

post #11 of 22
Thread Starter 

I was thinking the bottlehead crack, has some amp tube that competes with it ? (in the same price range)

post #12 of 22

I would definitely go with the schiit tube.

post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by glunteer View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

Some might say there isn't a good upgrade from the ODAC - and that spending more won't give you more. I'm not sure about that - but I suspect the upgrade might be pretty subtle and related more to the look & feel of quality than to the sound. YMMV...

Other than having money burning a hole in your pocket, is there a specific reason you feel the need for the upgrade? What isn't the ODAC doing for you? That might help us understand what sort of upgrade might help.

OTOH, if you are just looking for something that costs more and looks nice, there are lots of choices - the Schiit products being good ones. The Bifrost is very flexible due to the modular design and the variety of inputs it can accept - as well as having high quality clock and D/A components. I have no idea if any of that correlates to being audibly significantly better. I'm too cheap to find out...
 
 
 

I do not know how I can improve by changing the ODAC, because I never heard a DAC better understand? So I'm asking for your help to find out what would be best for me.

 

 

Then you haven't heard many DACs, period.  The ODAC is USB-powered and if I might add, very sub-standard in its methods of compensating for typical USB power.  There are many threads of it knocking offline and others that claim significant improvement with an audiophile-quality-powered USB hub.  The only USB, high-power compensation it has is a giant ferrite bead on the USB power connection.  There are no power caps whatsoever on the PCB.  It's like connecting to a gas pump and expecting to go somewhere without having a tank.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glunteer View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

Why not just get a Schiit tube amplifier, I think you would get more possible improve with a good tube amp.


Valhalla ? A Schiit Lyr would be too expensive for me

 

An OTL (Valhalla) may do OK with a high-impedance phone such as the Senn HD600.  A true, transformer-coupled amp would be better.  Every OTL has capacitors on the output to block the DC bias inherent with outputs that are taken directly from the tubes.  In the real world, those caps end up being electrolytics for two reasons: 1) they must have relatively high uf ratings to keep the bass from being cut significantly, and 2) film caps in those uf ratings would end up being the size of beer cans - or worse.  Bottom line, the electrolytics put a "fog" over the entire music signal.  Transparency is noticeably deficient compared to a good transformer-coupled amp.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glunteer View Post
 

I was thinking the bottlehead crack, has some amp tube that competes with it ? (in the same price range)

There are many amps that compete with it - perhaps not in marketing, though.  It has a small niche - high-impedance headphones - where it excels.  There may be better alternatives, but as MOT, I can't be specific.  Let's just say their Mainline amp is vastly superior in tube circuitry and it didn't necessarily have to cost that much.

post #14 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb View Post
 

Then you haven't heard many DACs, period.  The ODAC is USB-powered and if I might add, very sub-standard in its methods of compensating for typical USB power.  There are many threads of it knocking offline and others that claim significant improvement with an audiophile-quality-powered USB hub.  The only USB, high-power compensation it has is a giant ferrite bead on the USB power connection.  There are no power caps whatsoever on the PCB.  It's like connecting to a gas pump and expecting to go somewhere without having a tank.

 

 

An OTL (Valhalla) may do OK with a high-impedance phone such as the Senn HD600.  A true, transformer-coupled amp would be better.  Every OTL has capacitors on the output to block the DC bias inherent with outputs that are taken directly from the tubes.  In the real world, those caps end up being electrolytics for two reasons: 1) they must have relatively high uf ratings to keep the bass from being cut significantly, and 2) film caps in those uf ratings would end up being the size of beer cans - or worse.  Bottom line, the electrolytics put a "fog" over the entire music signal.  Transparency is noticeably deficient compared to a good transformer-coupled amp.

 

There are many amps that compete with it - perhaps not in marketing, though.  It has a small niche - high-impedance headphones - where it excels.  There may be better alternatives, but as MOT, I can't be specific.  Let's just say their Mainline amp is vastly superior in tube circuitry and it didn't necessarily have to cost that much.


Thanks for help tomb :)

 

I can only spend up to $ 300 ~ 400 max on a tube amp, the mainline amp has passes my budget. Would have some to recommend me?


 

 

The dac I just had to today ODAC and Asus xonar DX.

About USB powered I saw your project and others like iUSB but iUSB is very expensive and your project just sells the PCB or has all the pieces to assemble?

post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by glunteer View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb View Post
 

Then you haven't heard many DACs, period.  The ODAC is USB-powered and if I might add, very sub-standard in its methods of compensating for typical USB power.  There are many threads of it knocking offline and others that claim significant improvement with an audiophile-quality-powered USB hub.  The only USB, high-power compensation it has is a giant ferrite bead on the USB power connection.  There are no power caps whatsoever on the PCB.  It's like connecting to a gas pump and expecting to go somewhere without having a tank.

 

 

An OTL (Valhalla) may do OK with a high-impedance phone such as the Senn HD600.  A true, transformer-coupled amp would be better.  Every OTL has capacitors on the output to block the DC bias inherent with outputs that are taken directly from the tubes.  In the real world, those caps end up being electrolytics for two reasons: 1) they must have relatively high uf ratings to keep the bass from being cut significantly, and 2) film caps in those uf ratings would end up being the size of beer cans - or worse.  Bottom line, the electrolytics put a "fog" over the entire music signal.  Transparency is noticeably deficient compared to a good transformer-coupled amp.

 

There are many amps that compete with it - perhaps not in marketing, though.  It has a small niche - high-impedance headphones - where it excels.  There may be better alternatives, but as MOT, I can't be specific.  Let's just say their Mainline amp is vastly superior in tube circuitry and it didn't necessarily have to cost that much.


Thanks for help tomb :)

 

I can only spend up to $ 300 ~ 400 max on a tube amp, the mainline amp has passes my budget. Would have some to recommend me?


 

 

The dac I just had to today ODAC and Asus xonar DX.

About USB powered I saw your project and others like iUSB but iUSB is very expensive and your project just sells the PCB or has all the pieces to assemble?


Well ... just wanted to state that there are alternatives out there with tubes and the ODAC by itself is not the endgame (not saying it's bad at all - just that there's always room for noticeable improvement).  I'm not familiar with iUSB, but iFi is extremely expensive for what it does, IMHO.

 

As for the rest, I can't shill as a MOT - just try to state impartial facts.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ODAC upgrade ? Asgard upgrade ? What is the next step?