Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Audio interface for studio monitors.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio interface for studio monitors.

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

Ive narrowed my studio monitor search between mackie mr5mk3 and jbl lsr305s. But id rather have some type of interfece to control them. Rather than plugging them into my cheapo soundcard. ive heard that would cause alot of interference. one that i saw thats affordable is presonus audio box. they go used under $100 and are $150 new. thoughts? i know nothing about these sort of things. i dont wanna spend more than $100-$150 in addition to the $300 for the monitors.

post #2 of 17

Do you need the audio inputs? Or just the audio out?

post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 

probably just the outs. i do the like mic/instrument ones though. i do play guitar.

post #4 of 17

The Presonus or Focusrite (2i2) interfaces should be fine, the quality is good.  More expensive interfaces really only give you more I/O, better quality preamps for input, and reduced latency.

post #5 of 17

If you need the inputs, then my vote is for Focusrite. If you don't then get a DAC.

post #6 of 17
Thread Starter 

dont really know much about dacs either? any recommendations?

post #7 of 17

Schiit tend to be popular, JDS has a popular one. Go look at the DAC section.

post #8 of 17
post #9 of 17

One thing to consider, most audio interfaces have a nice volume control for studio monitors.  If you just use a DAC, you will need a preamp or a monitor control.  They don't have to be terribly expensive, but it is something to keep in mind.

post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iostream View Post
 

One thing to consider, most audio interfaces have a nice volume control for studio monitors.  If you just use a DAC, you will need a preamp or a monitor control.  They don't have to be terribly expensive, but it is something to keep in mind.

Most monitors have a volume control built in, however they are usually on the back.

post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by adupree View Post
 

Most monitors have a volume control built in, however they are usually on the back.

And per channel, so to adjust the volume you have to reach behind 2 speakers and make sure they stay matched.

post #12 of 17

I have been very happy with my Focusrite Saffire Pro FW interface for the past few years. I don't hear the DAC which I think is a good think. All the I/O you will ever need for a home audio studio. You want a audio interface to control powered monitors, big headache getting a dac, volume control, preamp etc.

 

Focusrite also have the Scarlett USB line that that the same preamps (for instruments) that the higher end units have. Solid buy. If you own planars (Hifiman etc) then you will also need a headphone amp. Not enough juice in most audio interfaces. The nice thing about the Scarlett 8/6 is that it also has line outs in addition to monitor outs so you can plug that directly into the headphone amp.


Edited by Mojo777 - 1/30/14 at 9:23am
post #13 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo777 View Post
 

I have been very happy with my Focusrite Saffire Pro FW interface for the past few years. I don't hear the DAC which I think is a good think. All the I/O you will ever need for a home audio studio. You want a audio interface to control powered monitors, big headache getting a dac, volume control, preamp etc.

 

Focusrite also have the Scarlett USB line that that the same preamps (for instruments) that the higher end units have. Solid buy. If you own planars (Hifiman etc) then you will also need a headphone amp. Not enough juice in most audio interfaces. The nice thing about the Scarlett 8/6 is that it also has line outs in addition to monitor outs so you can plug that directly into the headphone amp.

thats WAY above my budget though.

post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iostream View Post
 

And per channel, so to adjust the volume you have to reach behind 2 speakers and make sure they stay matched.

Correct. But I have seen people do it.

post #15 of 17
Quote:
thats WAY above my budget though.

 

Not really. Anyway the 2i4 is very close to your previously expressed budget and does what you want.

 

It's getting time for you to **** or get off the pot mate.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Audio interface for studio monitors.