Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Need help with Beyerdynamic MMX300 please!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need help with Beyerdynamic MMX300 please!

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

Hey Guys,

 

I was watching some videos earlier today and I noticed that my volume was very low and it would sometimes go up and then down. Also, notifications such as Skype also seemed very low. I ended up restarting my PC hoping to easily rectify the problem but it persisted. I then thought it was maybe the headphones themselves so I moved the cable around that is attached to the headphones and as I moved it around it would go from low to static to high and all around. To be frank, I have dropped these headphones numerous times over the few years I have had them and think that maybe something finally happened? I have also had them tangled around me and then when I got up tugged the cable out of my Astro Gaming Mixamp. Could it be that the cable finally came loose or something? If so, is this fixable?

 

Any help or advice you guys could offer, I would be VERY appreciative.

 

Thanks

post #2 of 8
Sometimes when one side of the headphones have gone out, you can mistake that for a drop in volume - your brain sort of tries to compensate. Take one side and then the other side off your ear and see if you can figure out if one side has actually gone dead. Usually, it's an all or nothing kind of deal - the side either works or it is dead, there isn't really a "drop in volume" unless the issue is actually in the amp (usually the volume control).

If you do have a bad cable, yes, they can be repaired - do you know how to solder? If not, you can either try to learn, or find someone that does know how to do it. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the MMX300 has a removable cable, so you would need to do some iron work.
post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

Sometimes when one side of the headphones have gone out, you can mistake that for a drop in volume - your brain sort of tries to compensate. Take one side and then the other side off your ear and see if you can figure out if one side has actually gone dead. Usually, it's an all or nothing kind of deal - the side either works or it is dead, there isn't really a "drop in volume" unless the issue is actually in the amp (usually the volume control).

If you do have a bad cable, yes, they can be repaired - do you know how to solder? If not, you can either try to learn, or find someone that does know how to do it. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the MMX300 has a removable cable, so you would need to do some iron work.

 

Double checked and both headphones are definitely working. Another thing I have noticed though is that if I plug the cable into my mixamp all the way it goes super low but if I only plug it in half way, it's much louder/normal volume. Does that make sense at all?

 

Also, sometimes when I listen to things like music, I can hear the track but not the vocals or if I am playing Call of Duty, I can hear the sound but I can't hear when I pick through options (little clicking noise), if I watch a stream of a video game, I can hear everything except the people talking. Any idea what this could be?


Edited by ElevenLives - 1/29/14 at 4:49pm
post #4 of 8
No - I don't - you have me completely baffled! redface.gif
post #5 of 8

Actually, that's what can happen if you have a bad plug.

 

Like the mid range pretty much dissappearing, usually followed with very bad sound quality.

 

I have a mini-jack to jack adapter that does something like that - it sounds awful.

post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post
 

Actually, that's what can happen if you have a bad plug.

 

Like the mid range pretty much dissappearing, usually followed with very bad sound quality.

 

I have a mini-jack to jack adapter that does something like that - it sounds awful.

I feel like this is exactly what it is! Like my headset has 1 cable coming from the headphones and then the end splits into the mic and headphones, i then use a split cable that plugs into my mixamp. Any idea what can be causing this problem? Is it possible the cable has gone bad or just loose or...?

 

Thanks for the help!

post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElevenLives View Post
 

 

Double checked and both headphones are definitely working. Another thing I have noticed though is that if I plug the cable into my mixamp all the way it goes super low but if I only plug it in half way, it's much louder/normal volume. Does that make sense at all?

 

Also, sometimes when I listen to things like music, I can hear the track but not the vocals or if I am playing Call of Duty, I can hear the sound but I can't hear when I pick through options (little clicking noise), if I watch a stream of a video game, I can hear everything except the people talking. Any idea what this could be?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post
 

Actually, that's what can happen if you have a bad plug.

 

Like the mid range pretty much dissappearing, usually followed with very bad sound quality.

 

I have a mini-jack to jack adapter that does something like that - it sounds awful.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElevenLives View Post
 

I feel like this is exactly what it is! Like my headset has 1 cable coming from the headphones and then the end splits into the mic and headphones, i then use a split cable that plugs into my mixamp. Any idea what can be causing this problem? Is it possible the cable has gone bad or just loose or...?

 

Thanks for the help!

Yea it's the termination of the plug, I had this happen with a headphone of mine recently

 

if you got your MX 300 new contact Beyerdynamic and get them to send you either a new headphone or repair it, at no cost to you, OR you can shell out about $50 [maybe less] and get the cable reterminated

 

Brian at BTG Audio is a friendly guy, as is Martin at MartinCustomAudio

 

or you could try your hand at soddering... which might cost the same now but would be of use as you attain more headphones 

post #8 of 8

Try from another source.. like a phone or something..

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Need help with Beyerdynamic MMX300 please!