Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250ohm Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250ohm Impressions Thread - Page 11

post #151 of 188
Thread Starter 

Welcome! Its nice to see some new faces around here.


Edited by Matrixnobu - 6/2/14 at 7:12am
post #152 of 188

Listening to Animals As Leaders self titled album and it sounds awesome!  Probably going to listen to some Mono next.  One of the things I like about the 770's, aside for the sound of course, is how comfortable they are.  Especially over long listening periods.  I don't even notice them on my head, even after a few hours.  It's great!

post #153 of 188
Thread Starter 

I'm listening to some Jazz (Nora Jones, Harry Connick Jr., Madeleine Peyroux) for work on the DT-770's and I'm very impressed at the sound I'm getting. I mainly listen to House so it is cool to see that these cans are very versatile.

post #154 of 188

My first post here at head-fi - great forum!

 

I got the DT770 Pro 250 Ohm a year ago and am very happy with them. I use them both for music listening and for watching movies. They are super comfortable, even when wearing glasses.

 

The music I listen to ranges from progressive rock via jazz and world music to classical music, operas and oratoria.

 

The DT770 are either hooked up to an Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card for music listening or an Audiolab 8000A amplifier for watching movies in a home theatre (only stereo - I can't relate to 5.1 or 7.1). The music source is my CD collection ripped to flac, using gmusicbrowser in a bitperfect setup on a Linux PC.

 

When not using cans, I have a deVa amp driving Celestion SL600 Signature speakers. Life is good.

post #155 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman999 View Post
 

I have blasted music since I was 13.

 

I had hearing that was ridiculous as a young kid.

I could hear high frequencies nobody could, and they were so ANNOYING, like the security system inside the Thriftys by our house.

It was so loud and buzzing, but nobody could hear it besides me.

 

I am 35 and still have stupidly awesome hearing that's a boon and a curse. Add LCD monitors and 80% of so called 'silent' devices to the mix. 

 

Anyway, payday is coming up and there are a pair up on Kijiji; I am really intrigued by the DT770 Pro thanks to this thread, sounds like a pair of closed backs I would enjoy.  But wanted to purchase the Audioengine D1. Such hard choices!

 

:L3000:

post #156 of 188
Just got the DT770 pro 250 ohm. Driving them through the Fiio E18 and think they sound pretty damn good. At first treble seemed too much but after a few hours listening have realised this leads to them being ultra revealing and airy. Massive soundstage for closed cans and overall a really engaging listen, and the comfort is amazing!
post #157 of 188
I've had my 770's 250ohm headphones for about two years now.
Fantastic sound and very comfortable.

I'm driving them now with a JDS labs C5D DAC amp when out with my iPhone or iPad. It is bliss.
Highly recommended.

At home I have other set ups but this little JDS is awesome.

Happy hearing.

smily_headphones1.gif
post #158 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrecedent View Post

Just got the DT770 pro 250 ohm. Driving them through the Fiio E18 and think they sound pretty damn good. At first treble seemed too much but after a few hours listening have realised this leads to them being ultra revealing and airy. Massive soundstage for closed cans and overall a really engaging listen, and the comfort is amazing!

Nice ! 

 

I think the 770s are the most underpriced headphone of all time , I would happily pay $500 for them , fidelity is unmatched for the price

post #159 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTechAgent View Post

Nice ! 

I think the 770s are the most underpriced headphone of all time , I would happily pay $500 for them , fidelity is unmatched for the price

Well said.

I love my limited edition DT770. They and the T90 are the most comfortable headphones I own. Simply amazing.
post #160 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpep View Post

Well said.

I love my limited edition DT770. They and the T90 are the most comfortable headphones I own. Simply amazing.
They hold their own, in my opinion, against my Grado 325is and K550 and they only cost me £70. For me its the realism of the instruments which is really noticeable. I'm not a big fan of classical music but Vivaldis Flute Concerto in D came on random play from the Chesky demonstration album and I was blown away by how the instruments sounded.
post #161 of 188

Couple of words about metal music + Beyerdynamic DT770.
(Summary on impressions on metal + 37 cans is here http://www.head-fi.org/t/715478/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution)

 

Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO (250 om)

Again, despite the word "PRO" in the title, we have the device that is actually focused on music listening, not just technical analysis. Gorgeous bass punch, slightly playful (but not so much as in 840) treble. Slightly withdrawn mid-range. A small soundstage (not really small for closed cans). Headphones have well integrated, in a way liquid sound, not overwhelmed with excessive details.

 

What is good:
Doom: Perfect. One of the best Doom presentations ever. Thick, dense, viscous bass and overall coherent sound - very base matching genre interpretation.
Thrash: Rollicking, cheerful. Texture and speed of bass – direct hit for the genre.
Industrial: Very convincing. More technical and cool interpretation would be more traditional. But not so comfortable as on 770.
Black: Ohhh. Anaal Nathrakh - brain if seeping out of the ears and warm pleasant streams flow down the cheeks from the headphone cups.
Alternative: Driving, delicious, powerful. What more could you want?

What is not so good:
Symphonic: Lack of width of soundstage and lack of air are painfully present.
Sludge, Stoner: Too “coherent”, more details are wanted here. A bit of brightness would be appropriate here.
Progressive: Mediocre. Wide spacious soundstage is must have here.
Power: Too narrow and rather flat.
Death: A little something is missing to make 770 Death presentation perfect. May be a bit of brightness or may be a bit of darkness.

According to the results, Beyers 770, along with Shure 840 – my favorite entry-level cans. For a dark mood.

post #162 of 188

Got myself a nice pair of DT770 250ohm

 

They sound reasonably good un amped which really suprised me but much better with the magni modi combo

 

I currently have the velour type ear pads but was wondering if the gel pads would add more impact?

post #163 of 188
Thread Starter 

Congrats. Welcome to the Club!

post #164 of 188

First post here, found this thread after extensively researching and comparing headphones (including the different DT770 models available!).

 

Been thinking about getting a pair of DT770 250's for awhile. They have been in my Amazon wish list for a few months now, this thread may just convince me to finally pull the trigger on a pair!

 

Would mostly use them with an amp on my laptop and/or iPhone. Currently I am rocking a pair of Bose IE2 ear phones... don't get mad at me, I bought them about two years ago, before I knew of other better brands than Bose! They have been decent though, especially compared to the average skullcandy or factory iPhone headphones you get. (I am assuming most of you audiophiles hate Bose... hehe)

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by levap View Post
 

Couple of words about metal music + Beyerdynamic DT770.
(Summary on impressions on metal + 37 cans is here http://www.head-fi.org/t/715478/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution)

 

Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO (250 om)

Again, despite the word "PRO" in the title, we have the device that is actually focused on music listening, not just technical analysis. Gorgeous bass punch, slightly playful (but not so much as in 840) treble. Slightly withdrawn mid-range. A small soundstage (not really small for closed cans). Headphones have well integrated, in a way liquid sound, not overwhelmed with excessive details.

 

What is good:
Doom: Perfect. One of the best Doom presentations ever. Thick, dense, viscous bass and overall coherent sound - very base matching genre interpretation.
Thrash: Rollicking, cheerful. Texture and speed of bass – direct hit for the genre.
Industrial: Very convincing. More technical and cool interpretation would be more traditional. But not so comfortable as on 770.
Black: Ohhh. Anaal Nathrakh - brain if seeping out of the ears and warm pleasant streams flow down the cheeks from the headphone cups.
Alternative: Driving, delicious, powerful. What more could you want?

What is not so good:
Symphonic: Lack of width of soundstage and lack of air are painfully present.
Sludge, Stoner: Too “coherent”, more details are wanted here. A bit of brightness would be appropriate here.
Progressive: Mediocre. Wide spacious soundstage is must have here.
Power: Too narrow and rather flat.
Death: A little something is missing to make 770 Death presentation perfect. May be a bit of brightness or may be a bit of darkness.

According to the results, Beyers 770, along with Shure 840 – my favorite entry-level cans. For a dark mood.

I tend to prefer Progressive, too bad you don't think they sound very good. May still try out the DT770 250's anyway, since I like those other genres as well. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybourne View Post
 

Listening to Animals As Leaders self titled album and it sounds awesome!  Probably going to listen to some Mono next.  One of the things I like about the 770's, aside for the sound of course, is how comfortable they are.  Especially over long listening periods.  I don't even notice them on my head, even after a few hours.  It's great!

 

You mentioned Explosions In The Sky earlier and now Animals As Leaders? We have very similar tastes in music, my friend. :beerchug:

 

Absolutely love both bands! You need to listen to AAL's most recent, Joy of Motion. Saw them in Buffalo earlier this summer, had a blast! The pit was pretty sick and everyone was pumped even without vocals. Impressive, if you ask me. 

post #165 of 188

After a few months of considering purchasing a pair of DT770 Pro 250Ohm one came up on Kijiji for $100 and I jumped on them. I have been listening to the DT770 for about 2 weeks now and I must admit I am not only quite pleased but impressed as well; They are everything I want in terms of sound signature and make for a good compliment to my HD598s.

 

My impressions thus far when paired with the Audioengine D1 with Audirvana as the player. Lossless or 24/96Khz+ tracks.

 

Bass: What can I say, these are monsters, but not overwhelming. Bass goes down very deep with awesome sub-bass rumble. Mid-bass slams and hits with authority, yet it transitions nicely to the midrange with absolute no bloat or muddiness. The best thing I love about the DT770's bass is the fact that it is very controlled. Never does it hit hard when it shouldn't. Listening to The Eagles or Rush the bass is extremely complimentary, as it should be. Switching it up to KMFDM or Juno Reactor the sub-bass goes down so deep it forces a grin of extreme satisfaction. Overall I am not only impressed with the bass, but rank it as probably some of the best bass I have ever heard in a set of headphones in any price range.

 

Mids: Extremely smooth and neutral overall. There is a touch of warmth which adds nice body to vocals, and creates a more laid back listening experience. That said, the mids do possess great detail, yet the upper-mids have no harshness or sound too overbearing. Some listeners have stated that the mids are recessed, not so. The mids are just not forward, thats all. Vocals, both male and female sound spot on with great body and fullness with no accentuation to the sibilance or harshness with lyrics starting or ending in hard letters such as Ts, Ks, and Ss. To my ears the mids are perfect, and much like the bass, transitions well into the next frequency spectrum.

 

Treble: Perfect! Detailed with great crispness and sparkle. Great extension yet never sounds shrill, piercing, or fatiguing. More forward than the mids, yet falls below the bass. Quite pleased. Not a single complaint.

 

Soundstage/transparency/instrument separation: One word; Fantastic! For a closed set of headphones, the DT770 Pro 250Ohm offer a pretty large soundstage with a surprisingly good amount of 'air'. Instruments come across with great placement and separation. In comparison to to my Sennheiser HD598 and Momentums, the DT770 sits somewhere in the middle (leaning closer to the HD598s). Again, I am thoroughly impressed.

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by levap View Post
 

What is not so good:
Symphonic: Lack of width of soundstage and lack of air are painfully present.
Sludge, Stoner: Too “coherent”, more details are wanted here. A bit of brightness would be appropriate here.
Progressive: Mediocre. Wide spacious soundstage is must have here.
Power: Too narrow and rather flat.
Death: A little something is missing to make 770 Death presentation perfect. May be a bit of brightness or may be a bit of darkness.
 

 

I will have to respectfully (somewhat) disagree with your opinion. While listening to the DT770 Pros out of my iPods, onboard audio, or receiver I can agree to a degree on your assessment, however listening through my D1 is a whole different story. Almost all of your negatives are negated...almost. What I actually uses in combination to my D1 and Audirvana to remedy the rest is a plug-in cavilled 'Warmifier' by Voxengo. The plug-in is not gimmicky as it sit in the category of pro software. Somewhat costly but worth every penny. Just be warned, using 8x oversampling uses between 50-100% of one 64-bit i7 CPU core @3.9GHz.

 

I find using 'Vintage Brightness' with Symphonic and Progressive give them the air and soundstage one expects with the genres. Power Metal I like to use again 'Vintage Brightness' or 'Crispy Highs' to expand the soundstage. Death Metal I use 'Solidify' and Sludge (otherwise known as Californian Surfer Metal) I use 'Pleasant Grittyness'.

 

Just my 2 cents.

 

:beerchug:

 

Sources: Nightwish, Epica, Blind Guardian, Dream Theatre, Queensryche, Sonata Arctica, Amorphis, Dimmu Bogir, Children of Bodom, Rush, Savatage, Dio, Type-O Negative, Leaves Eyes, Delain, After Forever, ReVamp, Hammerfall, Entombed, Opeth, Fu Manchu, Kyuss, DragonForce, Loudness, X Japan, and Dethklok.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250ohm Impressions Thread