Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Project Ember Tube Rolling
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Project Ember Tube Rolling - Page 3

post #31 of 233

I am talking about 6DJ8s in general. The one I have is a GE smoked glass--love it! It seems the "holy grail" is an Amperex by reviews I have read.

 

My buying spree was with 5751s--four total.

 

3 Sylvanias--two triple MICA black plate (one used (gift that got me hooked), one brand new, and a gold edition)

 

1 Heinz-Kaufman? The HK caught my eye on the Internet--there actually WAS a company by that name and it sounds good so far.

 

1 GE black plate

 

gamefreak054--This thread is doing well--I hope it stays alive. I like the idea of a kind of "review board" and maybe a FOR SALE OR TRADE section or separate thread?

 

Cheers!

post #32 of 233

Love this thread. I have a sunrise II, is the ember much diff sound wise. I've read everything on G1217s site but wondered if owners had a take on it. I think I'm gonna get one just for the auto bias :) 

I love my 6dj8s. Fave is a tfk 6922, followed soo closely by siemens 6922. I read somewhere in an article that the 6dj8/6922 is the best tube for audio YMMV. Based on your recommendations in the sunrise thread rmouser I have bought several 5751s and I have to say you are dead on. The sylvania is hard to beat!

 

Edit: If you do start buying 6dj8s know that there are no american made ones. Except for the amperex white label made in NY. All RCAs are rebrands. I have a siemens and mullard labeled rca. Sylvania might have made one...not sure


Edited by stupidmop - 2/3/14 at 8:02am
post #33 of 233
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmouser View Post
 

I am talking about 6DJ8s in general. The one I have is a GE smoked glass--love it! It seems the "holy grail" is an Amperex by reviews I have read.

 

My buying spree was with 5751s--four total.

 

3 Sylvanias--two triple MICA black plate (one used (gift that got me hooked), one brand new, and a gold edition)

 

1 Heinz-Kaufman? The HK caught my eye on the Internet--there actually WAS a company by that name and it sounds good so far.

 

1 GE black plate

 

gamefreak054--This thread is doing well--I hope it stays alive. I like the idea of a kind of "review board" and maybe a FOR SALE OR TRADE section or separate thread?

 

Cheers!

The BST thread sounds like a cool idea, but I am pretty sure on this forum and a lot of other forums that all business should be conducted in the marketplace. I wouldn't mind people mentioning their market place threads in here as long as it relates to the ember, it does not break the forum rules, and people keep it reasonable (like only mentioning a thread once, and only posting 1 thread a week).

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidmop View Post
 

Love this thread. I have a sunrise II, is the ember much diff sound wise. I've read everything on G1217s site but wondered if owners had a take on it. I think I'm gonna get one just for the auto bias :) 

I love my 6dj8s. Fave is a tfk 6922, followed soo closely by siemens 6922. I read somewhere in an article that the 6dj8/6922 is the best tube for audio YMMV. Based on your recommendations in the sunrise thread rmouser I have bought several 5751s and I have to say you are dead on. The sylvania is hard to beat!

 

Edit: If you do start buying 6dj8s know that there are no american made ones. Except for the amperex white label made in NY. All RCAs are rebrands. I have a siemens and mullard labeled rca. Sylvania might have made one...not sure

Glad you like the thread. As far as Ember vs PS2 goes, you are going to have to get other members opinions that own both. I know I needed the extra power that the ember puts out for my headphones, so I did not look at the other amps as much.


Edited by gamefreak054 - 2/3/14 at 8:37am
post #34 of 233

Thanks, I've had my sunrise for over a year. The Ember was just an idea then :( or I'd def bought this beast!

post #35 of 233

gamefreak054--roger your comment on a BST.

 

I have an Ember and PS2  side by side. Below is a quick comparison:

 

Ember

 

Auto Bias: Super easy tube rolling with one weakness. Tubes are limited to 500 ma heater current. A mod is coming out that will raise that and Ember II will have that mod built in.

Output Resistance: Three adjustments

Output Power: Higher than PS2 and suitable to drive 32-600 ohm phones. This makes my 600 ohm DT880s blast. 48 volt output section with very little heat.

Adjustable Gain.

 

PS2

 

Class A output section: A smoother sound I think. 24 volt outputs have heat sinks that DO get hot.

Output resistance: Two adjustments.

Manual Adjustable Bias: Super easy--can handle heater currents up to 900 ma (rating is 1000ma but I like a safety margin)

About $100 less than Ember.

Suitable for 32-300 ohm phones.

 

If you are only going to have one amp: Spend more and get the Ember--it can drive practically dynamic phone.

post #36 of 233
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmouser View Post
 

gamefreak054--roger your comment on a BST.

 

I have an Ember and PS2  side by side. Below is a quick comparison:

 

Ember

 

Auto Bias: Super easy tube rolling with one weakness. Tubes are limited to 500 ma heater current. A mod is coming out that will raise that and Ember It will have that mod built in.

Output Resistance: Three adjustments

Output Power: Higher than PS2 and suitable to drive 32-600 ohm phones. This makes my 600 ohm DT880s blast. 48 volt output section with very little heat.

Adjustable Gain.

 

PS2

 

Class A output section: A smoother sound I think. 24 volt outputs have heat sinks that DO get hot.

Output resistance: Two adjustments.

Manual Adjustable Bias: Super easy--can handle heater currents up to 900 ma (rating is 1000ma but I like a safety margin)

About $100 less than Ember.

Suitable for 32-300 ohm phones.

 

If you are only going to have one amp: Spend more and get the Ember--it can drive practically dynamic phone.

Do you have information on that mod? I cant seem to find anything anywhere pertaining to it.

 

 

EDIT: NVM found it. Decently interested in that mod.


Edited by gamefreak054 - 2/4/14 at 8:12am
post #37 of 233
I will be buying my first tube as I want to replace the stock tube on my ember. While I like the stock tube a lot, i feel like i can improve it more with a better tube.

The only problem is there is so many options lol. People seems to talk about the Sylvania 5751 and 6DJ8 a lot around here.

What are your favorites? Without breaking the bank. Because I am so clueless where to start. I just want to maybe get two tubes and thats it, don't want to spend too much on tubes that it costs the same as the amp.
post #38 of 233

Hai guys. I'm planning to buy this as my first dedicated headphone amp and can't wait. I'm still deciding on what tube I should use but right now I am eyeballing the GE Smoked Glass 6DJ8 because of a review by Asr. It seems really promising so far. Mainly trying to find a tube that is a good all-rounder and a little emphasis on bass and mids. This one seems to fit the bill quite well.

 

GE Smoked Glass 6DJ8 (Description from review) (Click to show)

This tube was an excellent all-rounder that paired up very well with every headphone, improving on the 6N1P specifically at driving the K712, making it sound a bit more lively and with more mid-range presence. The only notable detraction with this tube was its amount of hiss, which was quite noticeable on the AD2K/X and HD598, but nothing that was too distracting once music was playing. The 6DJ8 had a very noticeable mid-range & mid-bass presence that really made everything sound filled-out, weighted, heavy, & powerful, but not ponderous or inert, while maintaining a clear 3D soundstage that had as much depth as width. Granted, it didn't have a "huge" soundstage, but it was large enough that it was a clear improvement over the Gilmore Lite, which had a very 2D-flat, compressed soundstage (with nearly zero 3D depth).

 

If this tube was indicative of 6DJ8-type tubes in general, then I'd highly recommend one for every Project Ember owner or buyer. It was a fantastic tube that worked particularly well with vocals (male & female), plus the instruments that generally make up pop, rock, metal, & electronic music—i.e., bass guitars, overdriven guitars, and synthesized & acoustic bass.

post #39 of 233
Thread Starter 

Which headphones are you guys using? Different tubes have different gains, and if you have an inefficient headphone some of the low gain tubes can sound dull. I prefer the high gain tubes like the 12AT7 and 12AX7 (though 2ax7 break the bank). 

 

I personally prefer the sound of an amperex holland tube or the telefunken. The telefunkens can be expensive however the amperexs you can find for cheap as they are relabeled a lot of time as philips (amperex never really made tubes). I found both to be decently flat, the bugle boy having a slight emphasis in mids and an overall warm, airy sound. The telefunkens were flat and crisp sound, but both excelled in details over all the other tubes. I am receiving my French Philips tomorrow which are supposed to be the same construction as the holland ones, and can give impressions then.Otherwise the GE 6DJ8 I had was pretty good, but I am unsure if it was a smoked glass one. It did have a similar sound sig as described by ASR. I personally found the sylvanias pretty decent as well for the most part.

 

If your looking for a tube that excels in mids though, the Mullards are generally the tube to seek out.

post #40 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefreak054 View Post
 

Which headphones are you guys using?

 

I'm gonna get the Mrspeakers Alpha Dogs in a week or two and will use them with Project Ember. My current headphones atm are SoundMAGIC HP100s.

post #41 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefreak054 View Post

 

I personally prefer the sound of an amperex holland tube or the telefunken. The telefunkens can be expensive however the amperexs you can find for cheap as they are relabeled a lot of time as philips (amperex never really made tubes).

 

You are quite correct in saying that [many] tubes sold by Amperex were not made by Amperex themselves. They did, however, make some tubes. In fact, Amperex made tubes long before they were bought by Philips. They just were rather more interested in transmitting tubes than receiving tubes.

 

After the acquisition by Philips, new production facilities were setup in Hicksville, Long Island for tubes such as the 6922. This was done largely to gain patronage from the US government.

 

Amperex manufactured only a limited number of types in Hicksville. Many tubes made by Philips in the Netherlands, and related companies in other countries, were relabelled Amperex for the US market. Amperex also purchased from other US manufacturers. Rebranding was very common in the tube business.

post #42 of 233

Here is a link to an article called JOES TUBE LORE that covers a LOT of tubes pertinent to Ember. It's dated but the info is still relevant.

 

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/faq/joes-tubes.html

 

Good reading

post #43 of 233
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainHeaven View Post
 

 

I'm gonna get the Mrspeakers Alpha Dogs in a week or two and will use them with Project Ember. My current headphones atm are SoundMAGIC HP100s.

I do not reccomend the 6 volt tubes. It could be just the tubes I tried, but to my ears they do not seem as lively as either the 12AT7 and 12AX7 for the alphas. I would look at the 12AT7s as they tend to be a bit cheaper.

 

@Oskari- Thanks for the info.

post #44 of 233

I have the Senn hd650's with the Ember and trying different tubes, have found that with the gain set to low and the resistance set to 1 ohm the Sylvania JAN 6DJ8/ECC88 O-getter is one of the best sounding of the ones I have tried, which are 

stock tube--6H1-BN-warm, not to detailed

 

Tungsram E80CC NOS-Good range,stage is a bit narrow

 

Westinghouse 12au7/ECC82 black carbonized plates tube raised []-getter- best so far, good sound, stage

 

Sylvania JAN 6DJ8/ECC88 O-getter USED

 

Took a while for it to warm up, sound is similar to 12au7  have these coming in this week and will let you know what I think, the Sylvania 6dj8 was a used tube, with no box , but at $9 I had to give it a try.  The guy   I bought it from on ebay, tubemaze is very reliable and thought I would see if the 6dj8 was worth pursue ing  i am loving it.

 

RCA 6GU7 NOS


Westinhouse 12AV7 NOS


Amperex "Bugle Boy" 6DJ8 ECC88 

post #45 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefreak054 View Post
 

I do not reccomend the 6 volt tubes. It could be just the tubes I tried, but to my ears they do not seem as lively as either the 12AT7 and 12AX7 for the alphas. I would look at the 12AT7s as they tend to be a bit cheaper.

 

@Oskari- Thanks for the info.

 

Okay, thanks for info. Will now start looking at different tubes :3

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Project Ember Tube Rolling