New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chord Hugo - Page 49

post #721 of 8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post

Terrible pics, but you get the idea:














I've only had limited time to mess with it, but so far so good. Fed it from the Toslink out of my Resonessence Labs Invicta Mirus which may be a bit overkill.... but it's what I had ready to go at that moment.

This far I've tried it with LCD-2, HD800, Noble 4C, and Westone ES5 - a good mix of dynamic, planar, and armature based designs. I love the inky background, no hiss with CIEMs, yet plenty of drive for the bigger cans. 

Looking forward to your review.
post #722 of 8606

Yes!!!!

 

@project86 will be doing review!

 

If possible, can you let us know any synergy using it with Questyle CMA800R,Auralic Taurus MKII ?

 

Thanks.

post #723 of 8606

Tonight (and last night) I sourced the Hugo with MBP to OR5 to Hugo to tu-05. Software Amarra latest revision.

 

Let me tell you this is a phenomenal combo. Liquid, smooth, lifelike, etc. etc.

 

The coax in to the Hugo, when properly driven,  apparently leads to great results.

 

 

 

 

post #724 of 8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcans View Post

Tonight (and last night) I sourced the Hugo with MBP to OR5 to Hugo to tu-05. Software Amarra latest revision.

Let me tell you this is a phenomenal combo. Liquid, smooth, lifelike, etc. etc.

The coax in to the Hugo, when properly driven,  apparently leads to great results.

We really need à PORTABLE Coax source for the Hugo !!!
post #725 of 8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post

We really need à PORTABLE Coax source for the Hugo !!!

That seems like too much work if you ask me.. I would rather have a device that does what it is supposed to do no matter what.. wink.gif

coax
kəʊks/
verb
1.
persuade (someone) gradually or gently to do something.
"the trainees were coaxed into doing boring work"
post #726 of 8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post


We really need à PORTABLE Coax source for the Hugo !!!

 

as I will be the 'PORTABLE' source I won't be needing any coaxing to get a Hugo... consider it a done-deal. :tongue_smile: 

post #727 of 8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post


We really need à PORTABLE Coax source for the Hugo !!!


fiio x5 has coax out

post #728 of 8606
Yes, I realize that is lot of work. Only saying that as a desktop DAC, it scales exceptionally well. As a portable source when used alone, it's still a wonderful sounding DAC/amp.
post #729 of 8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcans View Post
 

Tonight (and last night) I sourced the Hugo with MBP to OR5 to Hugo to tu-05. Software Amarra latest revision.

 

Let me tell you this is a phenomenal combo. Liquid, smooth, lifelike, etc. etc.

 

The coax in to the Hugo, when properly driven,  apparently leads to great results.

 

 

Excuses my lack of knowledge, but, what is  OR5 ?   And did you really experienced a better SQ via COAX-in than by USB-In directly from the MBP ? 

 

Anyway, it seems that I will really need to look closer to this X5 mentioned manu many times as "the" source for the HUGO.

 

 

But...  has someone being able already to compare the SQ of the HUGO  v/s the A&K 240 ?     

post #730 of 8606

SQ from coax input is very good. However, Hugo only support native DSD decoding from HD USB input, so this is the only option if you have a lot of SACD rips. This being said, I really wish Chord can put a USB-B connector instead of the micro USB. The micro usb connector is too fragile and I lost the USB handshake quite a few times when I touch on the USB cable or move the Hugo around. Wonder if anybody have the same experience?

post #731 of 8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post

 

But...  has someone being able already to compare the SQ of the HUGO  v/s the A&K 240 ?     

 

The only direct comparison was made by Jude... when asked he said Hugo sounds better. He didn't really elaborate though.

post #732 of 8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by holeout View Post
 

SQ from coax input is very good. However, Hugo only support native DSD decoding from HD USB input, so this is the only option if you have a lot of SACD rips. This being said, I really wish Chord can put a USB-B connector instead of the micro USB. The micro usb connector is too fragile and I lost the USB handshake quite a few times when I touch on the USB cable or move the Hugo around. Wonder if anybody have the same experience?


1. How does one rip SACD? I thought this was not possible except using PS3 in some complex way quite beyond a non techie who does not use or won a playstation anyway.. I usually just rip everything including SACD CDs to FLAC as most players seem these days to play FLAC format.

2. Do any of the new players play DSD which is hwy I assume SACD becomes when ripped. I don't really understand the shorthand used in most of the above posts.

 

I ask because I was interested in HUGO as a DAC but all the complexity chatter about in and outputs and the idea of coloured lights for volume control have somewhat turned me off. I prefer numbers and a knob I can turn.

post #733 of 8606

--------------------------------------


Edited by BrainFood - 3/5/14 at 3:47am
post #734 of 8606

Just join the club, let see when will the mod case batch arrived.

post #735 of 8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post
 

 

Excuses my lack of knowledge, but, what is  OR5 ?   And did you really experienced a better SQ via COAX-in than by USB-In directly from the MBP ? 

 

 

 

It's a low jitter usb to spdif converter. I think it is better, but I will need more listening time to make any firm conclusion.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum