- 3,027 Posts. Joined 6/2013
- Location: Hong Kong
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW Chord Hugo USB DAC headphone amp for PCM & DSD audio, Portable and Desktop amplifier,... Last post on 4/19/14 at 8:43am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- NEW Chord Electronics Hugo USB DAC headphone amp for PSD and DSD Audio - Portable and Desktop,... Last post on 6/16/14 at 7:04am in Moon Audio Premier Sponsor Forum
- CHORD HUGO preview report Last post on 8/5/14 at 6:48pm in Sasaki
- Chord Electronics Hugo reference-grade DAC/headphone amp - coming Jan 2014 Last post on 12/9/13 at 1:43pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Chord Hugo to go (Portable DSD DAC/Amp) Last post on 1/5/14 at 3:50am in Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 7/30/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
Integrated amplifiers. We all know what they are, right? The classic definition involves having a power amplifier and a preamplifier integrated into the same chassis. Hence the name. It...
Will keep this review short but these are my impressions after a week of listening to a range of FLAC and a few HD files of every main genre of music: Sources used: FiiO X5 Sony...
Take the well received Akg K545, and add 50 dollars for a mic, amp, nfc, battery and Bluetooth capability. Is it worth it? TLDR, if you don’t have an amp and/or want bluetooth, put this in your top...
This is my first review here. Previously owned Beyerdynamic DT 770 , Audio-Technica m20, Sennheiser Momentum on-ear. Stil have a pair of AKG k450. I exchanged Sennheiser Momentum on-ear for those...
Let’s get started :- BRAINWAVZ S0: Hitting the sweet spot This time round, BRAINWAVZ have a new earphone and it seems to be a subordinate of the S5. It seems like the folks over...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Chord Hugo - Page 434
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
just got my gigabyte z97 motherboard that have audiophile usb port specially for eksternal dac use
and it have option in bios to disable the 5volt or enable in that special usb port.
will test it tommorow.
My desktop PC sounds better than my Mac Mini FWIW. I tried both with my Hugo and my Meridian Director, and the big Windows box was better with both, more ease and grace.
Maybe it's because my Mini has a spinning disk, and the PC has solid state drives, so that may be the reason.
When I tried music on an external spinner disk, it sounded kind of bad, but my external SSD sounds much better, and the SSD disks (I have 2 of them) right inside the Windows box sounds better still.
All I know right now is that I am extremely pleased with my Windows 7 / Hugo system, with very high end sound (like a 5-figure-and-beyond cd player), so I feel no need to push this further at this point.
Edited by rgs9200m - 7/14/14 at 4:35pm
So I decided to experiment by unplugging my Hugo from the charger all day (but turned on) and now it seems to need a whole new charge-up.
I think I'm going back to leaving it plugged into AC power all the time as usual.
I knew it was complicated.... Do you happen to know if a PC like for example the intel Nuc could be a good solution? (regarding your Mac mini statement). Maybe there's a way I can upgrade the sound card? I've been using PC all my life and not really into adjusting to Mac at this age. The problem is I'm building my main system setup here.
I know what you mean. For some reason, even though Windows has some quirks, I can always seem to get around them, and the Apple OS seems awkward and hard to control and sometimes too cute for its own good.
The Apple tablet OS is good though.
there is no distortion, hum, hiss, crackle or anything to resemble any kind of disruption using the toslink, i recommend you guys try your mobo's toslink and see results.
Edited by belisk - 7/14/14 at 5:49pm
my usb ports on my asus sabertooth z77 mobo have always been disappointing, so i bought a PCIe USB card and it works well with most USB dacs(except tenor) i've owned in the past, including the hugo, i recently started using the toslink port on the previously mentioned mobo and have never looked back,
Finally got the Hugo. This product is indeed deserving of this huge thread. My hats off to Chord for pulling off reference class performance in a product this small at this price range. In the past couple months I auditioned portable amps in the $500+ range notably: Duet, Pure II, 627X, Kojo, Pico Power and ALO Conti V3. Audition done using the same setup: ipod Classic 160GB > CLAS DB > Amp > Shure 846.
All these amps I have to admit are good, and all bettered my trusted iqube V1, and I can see why one would pick one from the other as each had their own unique strength. But when I heard the Hugo it was game over. I have a speaker system consisting of Dynaudio Confidence speakers with Accuphase/Rowland electronics. I also have a secondary system consisting of Harbeth P3ESR and Plinius electronics. I am amazed the Hugo with a lowly ipod and 846 can produce sonic fidelity that not only compete but may even exceed my primary system. As others have said in this thread this thing is a game changer.
Now I need to find a digital coax SPDIF cable to connect the CLAS DB to the Hugo. Currently I am using a plain vanilla RCA analog cable w/c seem to work fine, but I am sure I can do better. Any recommendation for this cable will be greatly appreciated.
- Chord Hugo
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 3 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page: Downloads, info & instructions-... 3 minutes ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 6 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Official Sennheiser URBANITE Australian review tour -- REVIEWERS... 8 minutes ago
- › Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp 9 minutes ago
- › NEW! SONY NWZ-A10 Series Walkman. Micro SD Card Slot! 11 minutes ago
- › Havi B3 Pro I , new sealed box 11 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 11 minutes ago
- › Questyle CMA800i - integrated DAC, headphone amp, and preamp by project86
- › InEar StageDiver SD-3 by Krisman
- › AKG K845 Bluetooth Over-Ear Headphones by cs098
- › KEF M200 Hi-Fi In-Ear Headphones, Aluminum/Black by bodopopa
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by suman134
- › VSONIC GR07 by nikhilthecupid
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by mlthelasher
- › Takstar TS-671 by paal0
- › Geben iDA-1 Portable Amp/DAC for iDevices by JoeDoe
- › Fischer Audio Consonance V2 by fonzler
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)