- 3,099 Posts. Joined 6/2013
- Location: Hong Kong
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Chord Hugo TT is announced. Last post on Today at 10:38 am in Dedicated Source Components
- Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced Last post on Yesterday at 11:33 pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Chord Hugo big brother : Chord QBD 76 HDSD Last post on 7/8/15 at 12:55pm in High-end Audio Forum
- NEW Chord Hugo USB DAC headphone amp for PCM & DSD audio, Portable and Desktop amplifier,... Last post on 4/19/14 at 8:43am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- NEW Chord Electronics Hugo USB DAC headphone amp for PSD and DSD Audio - Portable and Desktop,... Last post on 6/16/14 at 7:04am in Moon Audio Premier Sponsor Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 6/26/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 6/29/15
Eddie Current's Zana Deux reviewed... Pre-amble - the Zana Deux original vs the new Zana Deux Super... - There are two versions of this tube amplifier. Both are output transformerless (OTL)...
This review will cover the X5ii, comparing it to the Pono player and the original X5. I have a Pono in my possession now. I unfortunately sold my original X5 prior to receiving the review sample,...
Alright, so I am not an audiophile by any means, my entire experience of headphelia is just using cheap IEMs but after trying some expensive beats, I knew I needed something more. And if your like...
This is a review of Audeze EL-8C closed back planar magnetic full size headphones: https://www.audeze.com/products/el-8-collection/el-8-closed-back, with a bonus review of Audeze Deckard desktop...
Preface: Nothing too technical here; just wanted to give my impression as someone that had to "downgrade" from the HE-400's recently and has tried dozens of full-sized cans. I have had these things...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Chord Hugo - Page 434
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
just got my gigabyte z97 motherboard that have audiophile usb port specially for eksternal dac use
and it have option in bios to disable the 5volt or enable in that special usb port.
will test it tommorow.
My desktop PC sounds better than my Mac Mini FWIW. I tried both with my Hugo and my Meridian Director, and the big Windows box was better with both, more ease and grace.
Maybe it's because my Mini has a spinning disk, and the PC has solid state drives, so that may be the reason.
When I tried music on an external spinner disk, it sounded kind of bad, but my external SSD sounds much better, and the SSD disks (I have 2 of them) right inside the Windows box sounds better still.
All I know right now is that I am extremely pleased with my Windows 7 / Hugo system, with very high end sound (like a 5-figure-and-beyond cd player), so I feel no need to push this further at this point.
Edited by rgs9200m - 7/14/14 at 4:35pm
So I decided to experiment by unplugging my Hugo from the charger all day (but turned on) and now it seems to need a whole new charge-up.
I think I'm going back to leaving it plugged into AC power all the time as usual.
I knew it was complicated.... Do you happen to know if a PC like for example the intel Nuc could be a good solution? (regarding your Mac mini statement). Maybe there's a way I can upgrade the sound card? I've been using PC all my life and not really into adjusting to Mac at this age. The problem is I'm building my main system setup here.
I know what you mean. For some reason, even though Windows has some quirks, I can always seem to get around them, and the Apple OS seems awkward and hard to control and sometimes too cute for its own good.
The Apple tablet OS is good though.
there is no distortion, hum, hiss, crackle or anything to resemble any kind of disruption using the toslink, i recommend you guys try your mobo's toslink and see results.
Edited by belisk - 7/14/14 at 5:49pm
my usb ports on my asus sabertooth z77 mobo have always been disappointing, so i bought a PCIe USB card and it works well with most USB dacs(except tenor) i've owned in the past, including the hugo, i recently started using the toslink port on the previously mentioned mobo and have never looked back,
Finally got the Hugo. This product is indeed deserving of this huge thread. My hats off to Chord for pulling off reference class performance in a product this small at this price range. In the past couple months I auditioned portable amps in the $500+ range notably: Duet, Pure II, 627X, Kojo, Pico Power and ALO Conti V3. Audition done using the same setup: ipod Classic 160GB > CLAS DB > Amp > Shure 846.
All these amps I have to admit are good, and all bettered my trusted iqube V1, and I can see why one would pick one from the other as each had their own unique strength. But when I heard the Hugo it was game over. I have a speaker system consisting of Dynaudio Confidence speakers with Accuphase/Rowland electronics. I also have a secondary system consisting of Harbeth P3ESR and Plinius electronics. I am amazed the Hugo with a lowly ipod and 846 can produce sonic fidelity that not only compete but may even exceed my primary system. As others have said in this thread this thing is a game changer.
Now I need to find a digital coax SPDIF cable to connect the CLAS DB to the Hugo. Currently I am using a plain vanilla RCA analog cable w/c seem to work fine, but I am sure I can do better. Any recommendation for this cable will be greatly appreciated.
- Chord Hugo
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 50 seconds ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 1 minute ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 1 minute ago
- › VE - A New and Impressive Earbuds Brand 1 minute ago
- › Lehmann Black Cube Linear USB 2 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Bette hybrid review by jekostas. PG 1972. 2 minutes ago
- › Project Ember Tube Rolling 4 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 6 minutes ago
- › SubPac for Sub Referencing 6 minutes ago
- › Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Eddie Current Zana Deux SE by mikoss
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by fleasbaby
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by LandonO
- › Audeze EL-8 Closed-Back by twister6
- › Yamaha HPH-MT220BL by RushNerd
- › Klipsch Image X10 Noise-Isolating Earphone by achelgeson
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by krishtrinity1
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by nauhid
- › SoundMAGIC E50 / E50S by RedJohn456
- › Alpha & Delta AD01 by nmatheis
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3