Quick one guys - can a Euro version Hugo be used in Malaysia, specifically the PSU? Was thinking since both the EU and Malaysia use 230V output, it should be fine, no?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Chord Hugo TT is announced. Last post on 3/15/15 at 5:48am in Dedicated Source Components
- Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced Last post on Today at 8:10 am in Dedicated Source Components
- Chord Hugo big brother : Chord QBD 76 HDSD Last post on 2/21/15 at 5:50am in High-end Audio Forum
- NEW Chord Hugo USB DAC headphone amp for PCM & DSD audio, Portable and Desktop amplifier,... Last post on 4/19/14 at 8:43am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- NEW Chord Electronics Hugo USB DAC headphone amp for PSD and DSD Audio - Portable and Desktop,... Last post on 6/16/14 at 7:04am in Moon Audio Premier Sponsor Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 1/22/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Sennheiser US for providing me with a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. While waiting to receive my review unit of recently...
What's In The Box? The cardboard box itself is a cute little deal, with the Noble logo and the Wizard's signature. On the top left, the model and serial number are handwritten (apparently I'm the...
SUPERLUX HD 669 Review & comparison with HD 681-EVO. Take what I say with a grain of salt, I have not experienced many headphones and I've only had the 669 for a fairly brief amount of time....
Have been listening to my new iCAN Micro for couple weeks now. Before that I use the headphone output directly out of my iDSD Micro. First of all i just want to say that iDSD Micro is great....
A little background before I start. I'm 16 years old and I slowly began to become addicted to fine, audiophile-quality headphones. I remember the first time I heard beats at an apple store. I...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Chord Hugo - Page 387
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
It should be fine.
In case someone's looking for a coaxial cable that fits the Hugo, the Black Dragon cable that I received today from Moon Audio is perfect. Not only fits through the case opening but makes a solid connection with the RCA jack.
edit: I should point out that I have the revised case.
Edited by frankrondaniel - 6/28/14 at 10:24am
At least, neither produce a Wow factor so they are not a worthy addition (which is good: less expenses).
On the other hand, the olimex USB-ISO bring life back to the music! I decidedly need to work on my USB source. I just bought the USB-3 fiber cable that has been mentioned few pages back. Let's see how that goes...
Al, I recall, you prefer R10 than the Hugo for CIEMs. Can you tell me which CIEMs and IEMs you have tried the Hugo with? Also, what did you feel was lacking with Hugo with (C)IEMs in general? Was it the brightness? In terms of resolution how does it stand to the R10?
For that, you'll have to wade through the posts by Rob Watts in this thread - as the designer he has some very firm views on this. In his extensively detailed answer a few (hundred ..) pages back I believe he attributed a lower noise floor to the Toslink optical connection than either coax or USB connections. Many here disagree and claim the coax connection sounds better to them - I like all three, but I'm currently listening via Toslink to the Hugo using my Oppo BDP-105D purely as a source and I'm hard pressed to make any pronouncements re Toslink vs The Others *or* the old hard-drive vs CD debate.
The Oppo simply doesnt have anything like the magical 200-hours on it that the magazines claim is a must to hear the best from it, but I'm forced to revert to my LCD-2s with this combination, Those who enjoy sharper transients and a more upfront presentation via Hugo would definitely enjoy this combination - for the rest of us, it might not be the best choice for long listening sessions, As a Blu-Ray player though, I've never experienced anything quite like the 105D - I'll update further when I get enough hours to make a more definitive comment. Oddly, I think I actually prefer the LCD2s straight from the headphone out on the Oppo - same album as I listened to with the Hugo - than the Hugo hooked up to the Oppo via optical but its not night-and-day : just seems a little more aggressive through the Hugo - the exact opposite of what I would have expected. The Oppo's headphone stage is fed by a dedicated SABRE DAC - a DAC which has attracted more than a few brickbats in this thread. A lot more experimentation and burn-in needed with each of the links in this chain.
For now I'll just post random quotes from reviews of the 105 the Darbee edition is based on to give you a frame of reference:
Acoustic instruments and vocals all sounded natural and smooth. There was a realism and transparency I heard in the music that was more reminiscent of a $5,000 dedicated CD transport than a universal disc player that is supposed to handle any spinning disc or digital file under the sun.
Using the BDP-105 as a fully-functioning preamp by disconnecting my reference Parasound Halo JC2BP from the chain, I still got the same level of detail and precision as I repeated my battery of tests. In fact, there was an even greater sense of transparency and openness to the sound.
The voicing of the BDP-105 is generally neutral, with taut, deep, and well-controlled bass, transparent mids, and revealing, extended highs (highs that can, however, expose mediocre recordings for what they are). Pleasing though the Oppo can be, some might find it a bit lean-sounding compared to the deliberately warmer-sounding offerings on the market. If you prefer components that give a voluptuous musical presentation then the Oppo might not be your cup of tea, but if sonic honesty and neutrality are your things you should get on very well with it.
Let me expand on my voicing comments by pointing out that the BDP-105 needs a lot of run-in time to sound its best (some say as much as 200 hours or more). As playing time accumulates, traces of leanness and austerity gradually melt away, thus enabling the player to reveal a smoother, more full-bodied, and more forgiving sonic persona.
I cant believe you prefer oppos dac over the Hugo dac. The oppo has zero rythem to music and is dry sterile mechanical and harsh. Typical sabre sound.
For anyone interested in hearing the Chord Hugo the DC CanMania Noble will be showing the Hugo with AK 240 and their IEM. Come on down and hang with us. The show is exploding in DC July 25-27. Moon Audio will also have the Hugo on display with some terrific full size headphones plus the will a the one day meet at the CanMania also. Hope to see everyone come down.
asking for a friend whom needs to use his audiophile coaxial cable with the Hugo but it wont fit, hence he is looking for a RCA female to RCA male adapter that would fit Hugo...
any suggestions are highly appreciated...
- Chord Hugo
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › etymotic er-4 aftermarket low-microphonics cable? 3 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 5 seconds ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions 9 seconds ago
- › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage 12 seconds ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 20 seconds ago
- › X7, the Flagship DAP from FiiO ( updated on 15/12/2014) 24 seconds ago
- › EarSonics Velvet universal custom in ear monitor with three sound... 31 seconds ago
- › RHA T10i Tour & Impressions Thread 45 seconds ago
- › HiFiMAN HE-500 = Waste of Money (and general discussion) 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones in Black M2AEBT by twister6
- › Noble 4 by Kuroneko Guy
- › Superlux HD669 by Philliphobia
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by blankdisc
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by JohnPham
- › Chord&Major Major6'13 "Ballad" by kalbee
- › Audio Technica ATH-M2X Mid-size open-back headphones by ahnvx
- › xDuoo X2 by getclikinagas
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by De1taE1even
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM by De1taE1even
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2