New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chord Hugo - Page 380

post #5686 of 8242
I asked the same question in a different way
I asked what format should we rip our music to for different dacs
As in what is preferred. The answers I had wre confusing as yours are.
Some wav some flac and so Now your question is even more complex by changing sampling as well.
And as I agree our brains should know I also want to know.
Weather I understand or not. I have become a fan of non standard ready made DAC chip
Like sabre is just not for me.
Al

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #5687 of 8242

Yes Ted, I did understand your long standing sweetspot point and it is a validquestion.

 

Jussi's software allows you to pick what type of O/S you want so you can tailor it to your Dac's sweetspot if you know what it is.

 

Now, my following argument is based only on limited knowledge and simple logic, not on SQ. The idea of Ted Smith is that he upconverts all to the lowest common multiple, ie the 30/28mhz, which is an interger multiple of all input rates, and all his (expensive) clocks and internal machinations are optimized for this rate...so theoretically he always his the DS sweetspot. I would imagine that Rob does something equivalent in PCM. So theoretically all the inputs are optimized. Not sure if Jussi software can convert to these ethereal/lofty sampling rates though, as these are very stratospheric sweetspots.

post #5688 of 8242
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
 

Yes Ted, I did understand your long standing sweetspot point and it is a validquestion.

 

Jussi's software allows you to pick what type of O/S you want so you can tailor it to your Dac's sweetspot if you know what it is.

 

Now, my following argument is based only on limited knowledge and simple logic, not on SQ. The idea of Ted Smith is that he upconverts all to the lowest common multiple, ie the 30/28mhz, which is an interger multiple of all input rates, and all his (expensive) clocks and internal machinations are optimized for this rate...so theoretically he always his the DS sweetspot. I would imagine that Rob does something equivalent in PCM. So theoretically all the inputs are optimized. Not sure if Jussi software can convert to these ethereal/lofty sampling rates though, as these are very stratospheric sweetspots.


Norman, so going with your argument.....what is the use of a DS owner doing any upsampling (HQ Player, etc) since the DS does it anyway??  What would be the upside vs the risk that your pc-based upsampler f'd anything up...it's not like the DS would do less processing anyway.  I can test some of this on my DS.

 

Back to the Hugo.  We ALL report that redbook alchemy is a Hugo unique strength.  Redbook is transformed.  Temporary misogyny alert: an ugly girl is transformed to a beauty.  And beautiful hirez girls remain beautiful...which one is more beautiful?  Many would say the former ugly one, just cuz it was such a transformation, such a value add!   But what if we took beautiful girls and ran them through the 1fs process....more beautiful?  Less beautiful cuz the downsampling was lossy and stressful, so their natural beauty was damaged in the process?   Dunno.    

 

Sorry for the hijack of sorts. 

post #5689 of 8242

Ted,

 

All valid questions I cant answer. I am currently on the same page as you are.

 

Would seem to be a waste to HQ Play a D-Stream and a Hugo.

post #5690 of 8242

I'm beginning to think high-res music is nothing but a fad. CD quality is good enough, it's just many people hasn't ever had a decent cd player. We played on cheap cd players (I used to but not anymore) and expected good sound. Then dac revolution began with the rise of computer/mobile based music systems. However, as most dacs below USD10K sucked, we thought we needed higher bit, higher khz, dsd and so on. Now there's dsd64, 128, 256, 512... what's next dsd1024? or another new format? CD can deliver amazing sound already. People just need the right equipment and Hugo is one of them, definitely the cheapest.

post #5691 of 8242
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted_b View Post
 


Norman, so going with your argument.....what is the use of a DS owner doing any upsampling (HQ Player, etc) since the DS does it anyway??  What would be the upside vs the risk that your pc-based upsampler f'd anything up...it's not like the DS would do less processing anyway.  I can test some of this on my DS.

 

Back to the Hugo.  We ALL report that redbook alchemy is a Hugo unique strength.  Redbook is transformed.  Temporary misogyny alert: an ugly girl is transformed to a beauty.  And beautiful hirez girls remain beautiful...which one is more beautiful?  Many would say the former ugly one, just cuz it was such a transformation, such a value add!   But what if we took beautiful girls and ran them through the 1fs process....more beautiful?  Less beautiful cuz the downsampling was lossy and stressful, so their natural beauty was damaged in the process?   Dunno.    

 

Sorry for the hijack of sorts. 

 

Tracy Chapman's high-res album sounds very good on the HD USB input whereas it doesn't sound as good on the SD side. So yes, I think downsampling on Hugo is not a good idea. I'd expect CD would sound much better on SD input.


Edited by obsidyen - 6/26/14 at 10:57am
post #5692 of 8242
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidyen View Post
 

 

Tracy Chapman's high-res album sounds very good on the HD USB input whereas it doesn't sound as good on the SD side. So yes, I think downsampling on Hugo is not a good idea. I'd expect CD would sound much better on SD input.

I'm confused by your wording.  If Chapman's album is high-res then it's not cd.  If you are playing it and it plays on SD input then it's not high res.  ?  And why would you expect the SD port (synchronous) to sound necessarily better (unless of course you used an isolator, as per Rob..which you didn't mention)?


Edited by ted_b - 6/26/14 at 11:07am
post #5693 of 8242
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted_b View Post
 

I'm confused by your wording.  If Chapman's album is high-res then it's not cd.  If you  re playing it and it plays on SD input then it's not high res.  ?  And why would you expect the SD port (synchronous) to sound necessarily better?

 

I don't expect it. I mean  (in my opinion) CD quality on SD sounds better than high-res on SD because HR on SD is somewhat worse due to downsampling/conversion whereas CD on SD is native resolution.

 

Sorry about wording, my mother tounge is not English.

post #5694 of 8242

Hi,Can some one please tell me which type of USB cable I should get to connect the Hugo to a Macbook? The Macbook is USB,

 

    is the Hugo USB mini?. Thanks

post #5695 of 8242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenacheros View Post
 

Hi,Can some one please tell me which type of USB cable I should get to connect the Hugo to a Macbook? The Macbook is USB,

 

    is the Hugo USB mini?. Thanks


 Some cables are in the box so you don't have to buy it. It's micro usb.

post #5696 of 8242

i am liking the hugo so much that I am carrying it with me everywhere

 

BUT and a big But i need to find a way to make this portable with an iPhone or iPad mini

 

so I am looking all over the places for a case that is maybe leather and hold the hugo in a nice and gives me access from the sides to all input and output and also to be able to change volume, which i think is really impossible to find

 

I really need advise in a case and the shortest possible cables to connect the hugo to iOS or sometimes also to a an android phone

 

so really if any has ideas or pictures and links to help me make the hugo as much as portable as possible thanks in advance 

 

on a side note I have an xperia phone which has aptx, and noticed that the bluetooth with hugo does not work although it connects but the sound is not sending music instead just weird noises, while my hugo works with all ios and another android phone that has no aptx which is very woeird

 

does anyone face the same problem connecting the hugo to xperiza phones with aptx


Edited by hykhleif - 6/26/14 at 11:50am
post #5697 of 8242

I have an Xperia Z1 Compact. I couldn't get it to work either. I hear some strange noises but that's it.

post #5698 of 8242
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidyen View Post
 

I have an Xperia Z1 Compact. I couldn't get it to work either. I hear some strange noises but that's it.

 

My xperia does the same; is this a fault with the hugo?


Edited by mannp - 6/26/14 at 3:19pm
post #5699 of 8242
Quote:
Originally Posted by hykhleif View Post

i am liking the hugo so much that I am carrying it with me everywhere

BUT and a big But i need to find a way to make this portable with an iPhone or iPad mini

so I am looking all over the places for a case that is maybe leather and hold the hugo in a nice and gives me access from the sides to all input and output and also to be able to change volume, which i think is really impossible to find

I really need advise in a case and the shortest possible cables to connect the hugo to iOS or sometimes also to a an android phone

so really if any has ideas or pictures and links to help me make the hugo as much as portable as possible thanks in advance 

on a side note I have an xperia phone which has aptx, and noticed that the bluetooth with hugo does not work although it connects but the sound is not sending music instead just weird noises, while my hugo works with all ios and another android phone that has no aptx which is very woeird

does anyone face the same problem connecting the hugo to xperiza phones with aptx
I believe that chord said a high quality leather cases are currently being made at this time that will hold Hugo along with most shapes of phone or players and even some smaller PDAs. The case has access holes in all the right places and has four firm elasticated straps on the back of it to hold the phones or players facing outwards so that you can use it and see their display's.
post #5700 of 8242

Thanks Obsidyen! 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum

Gear mentioned in this thread: