or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chord Hugo - Page 349

post #5221 of 14258
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted_b View Post
 

Rob,

The iFi purifier is a filter (not really an isolator) but works pretty well.  It is 480meg Class 2.

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-ipurifier/

 

Gang,

I have found that using the iFI USB power (I reviewed this for HP's now defunct HPSoundings ezine) does nothing for the Hugo; but that makes sense because the Hugo does not use the computer's 5V power...it uses it's own from the battery, and simply detects 5V from the computer to wake up the USB receiver (saving battery life by having the USB receiver off until 5V is seen...but not used).


too bad that iPurifer is for USB B... I dont like the audioquest USB B to micro USB adapter as it puts too much stress on the micro usb port....

thanks for the advice, ted_b. I think I will look into iPurifier or USB isolator route....

post #5222 of 14258
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicHolyGhost View Post


sorry dont have highres on the phone.... as i seldom listen to it... and need to go out now.... test later

Thanks, I'll be very interested to learn what you discover. I found that, with my iPhone, the Hugo recognizes the signal connected to either of the micro USB drives. But I have yet to find an Android where the same is true.
post #5223 of 14258
Just ordered a pair of Chord Sarum Tuned Aray RCA interconnects to use with Hugo. Am going to try Hugo straight into my Constellation Centaur amp driving my Magicos.
post #5224 of 14258
Quote:
Originally Posted by podeschi View Post

Just ordered a pair of Chord Sarum Tuned Aray RCA interconnects to use with Hugo. Am going to try Hugo straight into my Constellation Centaur amp driving my Magicos.

I don't think the Sarum will fit the Hugo unless the Chord Company gives it a modification with the plugs.

I have a pair of Tuned Aray Indigo. I have to remove part of the outer plastic ring around the plugs (it's quite soft though) to have them fit. My Hugo is the enlarged RCA port version already.
post #5225 of 14258
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieberstanley View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by podeschi View Post

Just ordered a pair of Chord Sarum Tuned Aray RCA interconnects to use with Hugo. Am going to try Hugo straight into my Constellation Centaur amp driving my Magicos.

I don't think the Sarum will fit the Hugo unless the Chord Company gives it a modification with the plugs.

I have a pair of Tuned Aray Indigo. I have to remove part of the outer plastic ring around the plugs (it's quite soft though) to have them fit. My Hugo is the enlarged RCA port version already.

I have the new Hugo with big jack openings.
post #5226 of 14258
Quote:
Originally Posted by podeschi View Post

I have the new Hugo with big jack openings.

I thought there was only one version for the enlarged RCA holes, though people have been saying several versions.

Look around the RCA holes, not much space left for widening.

The Chord Company got the third batch of the Hugo before they brought up the modified Anthem Tuned Aray. I emailed and called them, the reply was that no, even the new batch would not accommodate the Indigo or Sarum's plugs. They have to modify the Anthem to make it fit.

Or indeed you get hold a even larger RCA holes of the Hugo? I will measure the diameter of the RCA holes and come back later. : )

Edited at 0538 UTC:

Below was the reply from the Chord Company:

"Dear Stanley,

Many thanks for your email.

Outside measurement is 12.5mm (Indigo Tuned Aray)

Inside measurement is 9mm.

I don't believe this will fit the Chord Hugo.

Kindest regards,

Mike"
Edited by lieberstanley - 6/21/14 at 7:34am
post #5227 of 14258
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindri1980 View Post

Hi all,

I have a Hugo working dac only paired with an Auralic Taurus amp.
When the amp is on, volume at zero, I can hear the music playing...
It doesn't really bother me or anything, just wondering why is that happening.
Has anyone experienced the same?

Cheers,
R.

The Taurus has a low level of music playing at zero volume with other DACs also, so it's definitely the amp. Nothing to worry about, it's such a nice amp!

Still waiting for someone in New Zealand to import the Hugo...cool.gif
post #5228 of 14258
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgree View Post
 

Quote

"Timing is an incredibly important cue for the brain, and we know that the ear/brain can resolve down to 4 micro seconds"

[ http://www.head-fi.org/t/702787/chord-hugo/3015#post_10551640 ]

 

Rob in the phys.org paper linked to in your post it states "The score with the top timing acuity (3 milliseconds)" - so I am wondering about the 4 micro seconds and what is the basis for such a claim. There is a lot of discussion on the Naim forum about the Hugo and the issue of the 4 micro seconds timing came up so would appreciate clarification on this.

We are talking about different types of timing. My understanding is that phys.org paper is referring to the ear/brain being able to resolve pitch with a burst of sound. In this case of 3 milliseconds it was one cycle of a sine wave, and the particular guy could accurately determine the pitch. So it's 3 milliseconds as you need one complete sine wave cycle. Now the timing I am talking about is the inter-aural delay. This is a cascaded set of neurons with data from the left and right ears with lots of different delays - its actually a tapped delay line (the same as taps on a FIR filter!). When a particular neuron gets transient data from both ears at the same time, it fires. So what we have is a method of measuring the timing differences between the ears and measurements of human subjects indicate that the resolving power of this is of the order of 4uS (goes down to 4uS is the term I have seen).

 

Experiments on cats in the 1950s proved this - they opened up a cat's skull, and managed to probe these individual neurons, and saw different neurons firing with different delays. For human subjects, you can't do this, so you find the delay by adjusting the delay from left to right, and with a delay change you can hear a shift in localisation with a particular test signal. From this one can infer what the inter-aural delay actually is.

 

Now the inter-aural delay is only used for left right localisation of sounds, and it is an illustration of the importance of timing. When I use long tap length WTA filters (where I am trying to reconstruct the timing of the bandwidth limited signal perfectly) you do indeed get improvements in left right location of images, but you get a lot of other improvements as well, which are not related to the inter-aural delay. Timing is used in other brain processes too, and we have no understanding about that. Also, even if timing of transients was accurate to 4uS, that does not mean that you can't hear better sound quality with better timing accuracy of 4uS. After all, if I produced a DAC with 4uS of jitter (jitter is timing uncertainty) people would say you would hear that...

 

What I am trying to get across (and have been doing this since late 1990's with the DAC 64) is that sample rates are important not because of better HF, but because of better timing of transients, and that the interpolation filter is key to reconstructing the timing of the original bandwidth limited signal. With a decent enough interpolation filter then timing is restored, then you no longer need high sample rate recordings - good old CD is good enough.         

post #5229 of 14258
Quote:
Originally Posted by hykhleif View Post
 

so is this the consensus that using the coaxial from fiio x3 is better than using the iPad as a transport as i have an offer to sell the x3 

any more comments for the above  because if using the fiio x3 with hugo then i won't sell it 

post #5230 of 14258
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted_b View Post

 

Rob,

The iFi purifier is a filter (not really an isolator) but works pretty well.  It is 480meg Class 2.

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-ipurifier/


 

Gang,

I have found that using the iFI USB power (I reviewed this for HP's now defunct HPSoundings ezine) does nothing for the Hugo; but that makes sense because the Hugo does not use the computer's 5V power...it uses it's own from the battery, and simply detects 5V from the computer to wake up the USB receiver (saving battery life by having the USB receiver off until 5V is seen...but not used).


HI TED . so ifi usb power not worth to buy in your test. but somehwere i saw earlier the new revision case hugo now need 5volt from usb. which hugo revision you using now is it the first revision or the better casing revision.

 

last did you ever hear about ppa usb card version 2. can you test it also will it better the result?

post #5231 of 14258

Rob - thank you for the comprehensive reply, you are very generous with your time. Fascinating stuff.

post #5232 of 14258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Watts View Post
 

What I am trying to get across (and have been doing this since late 1990's with the DAC 64) is that sample rates are important not because of better HF, but because of better timing of transients, and that the interpolation filter is key to reconstructing the timing of the original bandwidth limited signal. With a decent enough interpolation filter then timing is restored, then you no longer need high sample rate recordings - good old CD is good enough.         

 

man I love this guy, he's saving me a fortune... :beerchug: 

post #5233 of 14258
Quote:
Originally Posted by podeschi View Post

Just ordered a pair of Chord Sarum Tuned Aray RCA interconnects to use with Hugo. Am going to try Hugo straight into my Constellation Centaur amp driving my Magicos.


The highest quality RCA that we have found fitting the Hugo with ease at Sarum level is the Vertere Pulse range. The plugs now used on the Sarum will not fit the Hugo unless using adapters

post #5234 of 14258

Hi Rob Watts! - another small question -  I propose using my Hugo straight into my active monitors, which have balanced inputs, using an RCA - XLR lead with pins 1 + 3 of the XLR wired to RCA screen, and pin  2 of the XLR wired to the RCA pin. Leads would be about 4 or 5 metres. Do you imagine I would have any problems with noise or hum like this? Would you recommend a pre-amp rather than going direct? The input impedance of my monitors is quoted at 10k Ohms per leg.

 

Thanks for all your input to this forum. 

post #5235 of 14258
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewOld View Post
 

Hi Rob Watts! - another small question -  I propose using my Hugo straight into my active monitors, which have balanced inputs, using an RCA - XLR lead with pins 1 + 3 of the XLR wired to RCA screen, and pin  2 of the XLR wired to the RCA pin. Leads would be about 4 or 5 metres. Do you imagine I would have any problems with noise or hum like this? Would you recommend a pre-amp rather than going direct? The input impedance of my monitors is quoted at 10k Ohms per leg.

 

Thanks for all your input to this forum. 

No problem for Hugo at all, and your wiring seems fine. Don't use a pre-amp, unless you want it to sound worse!

 

Rob 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum