or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chord Hugo - Page 305

post #4561 of 14334
I am not done comparring as yet
But looks and use wow this ak240 is fantastic
It is an amazing device so far.
But in the end it's about sound and it will be my decision
In keeping it.
I should have some more to night.
Al
post #4562 of 14334

Al, I never said you were crazy - I said you switch gear in and out with incredible frequency. I'll give your 'female vocal' test a shot later - really need some shuteye now. 

post #4563 of 14334
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

Ok so I will,explain what most here hear but do not understand me or there own ears.
I do not care what , iem , headphone or speaker you use for this test. It shows the same anyway it's done.
Find a dsd or com with a female vocal. And play it on the Hugo , now play the same song on any dac you own
The voice will,sound deeper as the Hugo makes the girl sound higher in pitch . It also effect where she is singing from . As this brings her closer to the front row. Now once you get to understand this it becomes obvious the rest of the instruments and vocals are all effected by the tonL change. Why no one says this is beyond my understanding but if we do it as I am saying you must hear it too. It's not a bad thing in fact it's one of the reasons the Hugo sounds so good. By doing what I hear it increases the staging and clarity. It does make the Hugo sound a little thinner than the direct stream as well
I won a hugo it is my every day commute device with my iems, and iPhone. I am not crazy and I do not care how many people here say I am wrong do the test as I say and post .
Al

I guess that the word 'bright' scares people, and it means different to different people.

As I for sure can't stand 'bright' audio equipment. And I love the Hugo.

 

And I guess that subtle variations between different top of the line equipment can be described with words like 'warmer', 'brighter' etc. and if you don't like the word 'bright' it will scare some.. I would have been scared.. as I said.. I don't like 'bright' stuff piercing my ear drums and giving me listening fatigue. Not enjoyable at all.

 

But as you say.. the Hugo is enjoyable, and I guess that people don't understand the context of what you are saying.

post #4564 of 14334
Ok and I am fine with hiw I am perceived we are all passionate about this hobby .
Al
post #4565 of 14334
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

Ok and I am fine with hiw I am perceived we are all passionate about this hobby .
Al

+1

post #4566 of 14334
Quote:
Originally Posted by nOtEcH View Post

I guess that the word 'bright' scares people, and it means different to different people.
As I for sure can't stand 'bright' audio equipment. And I love the Hugo.

And I guess that subtle variations between different top of the line equipment can be described with words like 'warmer', 'brighter' etc. and if you don't like the word 'bright' it will scare some.. I would have been scared.. as I said.. I don't like 'bright' stuff piercing my ear drums and giving me listening fatigue. Not enjoyable at all.

But as you say.. the Hugo is enjoyable, and I guess that people don't understand the context of what you are saying.

Hahahaha you just summed up my posting . Yes it's not bright into do not like that. Is north of neutral. Maybe. Either way the hugo is very good and the best portable option I have heard so far.
Maybe I am too critical in my listening .
Al
post #4567 of 14334
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post


Hahahaha you just summed up my posting . Yes it's not bright into do not like that. Is north of neutral. Maybe. Either way the hugo is very good and the best portable option I have heard so far.
Maybe I am too critical in my listening .
Al

Hehe.. I like that you describe what you hear. Others may think you are over the top.. and to be honest.. most of us are.. :D 


Edited by nOtEcH - 6/12/14 at 4:27am
post #4568 of 14334
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearchOfSub View Post

Hmm.. AL saying its a little bright got me worried a bit..was so close to pulling the trigger too.

I guess it's all relative and also dependent on what cans you are using and source material.

You never know for sure until you try them yourself.

post #4569 of 14334
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by flymetothemoon View Post
 

Hi Notech,

 

What I mean "cannot agree with you" means that in this high speed technology advancement world that time will obsolete electronics, in particular digital related equipments (like DAC)...and that's why I can't agree with you that the Hugo can last a "long long time".  

 

Probably I was lucky when I bought my Meitner MA1 two years ago @US$4,400 in a shop in Guangzhou (to which where I live and work), China.  Comparing to the Linn CD12 that I purchased while in Shanghai in 2003 (the 24 bit version of CD12), I paid US$17,500.  Comparatively, MA1 is a super bargain in consideration to the price I paid (even to the Hugo probably, to which I have not heard).  

 

On similar performance (fellow headfier please bear with me a bit off topic), as my current system is only 1/4 of the price vs. the old one that Linn CD12 was feeding to and that gives the context of similar performance.  Current system can be seen on my signature.  Past system : Linn CD12; Jadis JPS2S Pre; Jadis JA100 (Monoblock); Venture La Precision; PS Audio Powerplant : 2x PS600, 1xPS300. 

 

I bet Hugo would be very capable as the devise is newer than the MA1 and I'm in cross road on whether getting it or not.

 

Cheers

You guys do realize that Metiner is the guy who practically invented DSD right?? 

post #4570 of 14334
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonix View Post
 

You guys do realize that Metiner is the guy who practically invented DSD right?? 

No. I did not.

post #4571 of 14334
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicHolyGhost View Post
 


hey Al

 

Hows the AK240 in comparison (SQ)?


I would trust the Hugo's rendering of female voices:Hugo has proven to me that it is the most honest and transparent piece of audio equipment I've ever owned! Hugo should be used as a reference standard in both equipment(especially headphones):gs1000smile:and musical recording evaluation.

post #4572 of 14334
Quote:
Originally Posted by nOtEcH View Post
 

Hehe.. your making jokes today? :bigsmile_face:


I'm giving it a go, tough crowd today... it's hard trying to be a back-up act to Hugo in truth.

post #4573 of 14334

this might not get you ROFL but it might bring a big :bigsmile_face: to your face...

 

I've heard a rumour that Custom-Cable has a well cool special offer on 'original' Hugo's: http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/

 

Hey let's be careful out there,.. think wallet, think savings... :tongue_smile:

post #4574 of 14334
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgs9200m View Post
 

For those using the Hugo on the desktop (non-portable), are you using a separate amp, or using the Hugo amp?

How does using the Hugo's amp directly vs. a separate amp sound?

(I'm thinking of using it with Oppo PM1s, Fostex TH900s, HD800s, LCD3s.)

 

Also, do you use the Hugo's volume control or use your computer for this? Is the Hugo's volume control easy to use?

Thank you again

The Hugo drives the TH900 with every bit of weight and authority that I could want. When I demoed the Hugo with the LCD-X at the Chicago show, it seemed to benefit from a Taurus II in the chain; which makes sense, as the Fostex TH900 are very, very efficient. 

 

When I first tried the combo of TH900/Hugo I wasn't impressed...but now that the 900's are breaking in, it's a whole new ball game. The only reason I can see to add an external amp now is to change the sound signature (might want to try a more tubey sound, AKA the new Eddie Current 6 watt...but can only justify that amp's cost if it is used to drive speakers too). For portable, try a broken-in pair of Fostex TH900 and you are at end-game portable setup (The 900's, though not really portable, do fold-up, look great, weigh nothing compared to LCD's and are so easy to drive...and are closed back too...that checks all the right boxes for me...which would matter diddly-squat if the sound wasn't what it is). I would like to try the new Oppos or the HiFi Man 560's to see how they compare as a possible portable solution.

 

To sum, the Hugo's amp section is up there with the very best headphone amps; though endgame amps such as Eddie Current, HD800, Bakoon, Taurus II, etc. may well add something you like..you .best bet is to attend a Headfi meet or big show and try 'em all!

 

Hugo's volume control is very easy to use, though, with sensitive phones you need to be careful not to over-shoot the desired volume. Computer volume control: not my area of expertise...best to check out the appropriate software forum. - Lorne 

post #4575 of 14334
Quote:
Originally Posted by nOtEcH View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by flymetothemoon View Post
 

Hi Notech,

 

What I mean "cannot agree with you" means that in this high speed technology advancement world that time will obsolete electronics, in particular digital related equipments (like DAC)...and that's why I can't agree with you that the Hugo can last a "long long time".  

 

Probably I was lucky when I bought my Meitner MA1 two years ago @US$4,400 in a shop in Guangzhou (to which where I live and work), China.  Comparing to the Linn CD12 that I purchased while in Shanghai in 2003 (the 24 bit version of CD12), I paid US$17,500.  Comparatively, MA1 is a super bargain in consideration to the price I paid (even to the Hugo probably, to which I have not heard).  

 

On similar performance (fellow headfier please bear with me a bit off topic), as my current system is only 1/4 of the price vs. the old one that Linn CD12 was feeding to and that gives the context of similar performance.  Current system can be seen on my signature.  Past system : Linn CD12; Jadis JPS2S Pre; Jadis JA100 (Monoblock); Venture La Precision; PS Audio Powerplant : 2x PS600, 1xPS300. 

 

I bet Hugo would be very capable as the devise is newer than the MA1 and I'm in cross road on whether getting it or not.

 

Cheers

I thought that it might be something like that.. but I would consider 17 years of similar performance / enjoyment quite a long time in the world of audio.

 

I have noticed the same.. you can get a lot better result with less money today than a few years ago. Yet.. even though the very best stuff you can get on the market is remarkably good, things at the very top in my opinion doesn't improve revolutionary from year to year.

 

 

I am seeing this curve (simplified of course.. with time on the x-axis and performance for "audio devices" on the y-axis):

 

y

|                                                                                  -

|                                                  -

|                               -

|                  -

|           -

|       -

|    -

|  -

|-

 


> x

 

 

 

And since I don't miss much from my more expensive stuff while using the Hugo, my conclusion stands.. I guess that I can enjoy the Hugo for quite a long time. I'm not saying that the AURALiC Taurus or the Linn Akurate DS is bad.. I have actually enjoyed the combo for quite some time.. it is just that I do enjoy the Hugo more.

 

(Some have claimed that the Taurus make the Hugo experience even better, but I haven't tried it yet.. as I said.. I don't miss anything while listening to the Hugo alone, even though I may afterwards if I tried the Taurus - Hugo combo)

 

 

I can understand where you are coming from, as I have always wanted "the very best" myself.

 

The thing is.. that the Hugo is so good that most people could settle with it, and that is a remarkable achievement for a portable device. And I consider that a revolutionary step in the portable market, as it can be compared to desktop rigs even though there may be better stand alone desktop DAC and amp rigs out there.

 

 

I can't say that the Hugo is better than the Meitner MA1 as I have never heard it, but from what you are saying the Hugo is a great bargain even if you would consider the Meitner MA1 to be better.

 

Having said that.. you will get a great product if you decide to go for the Hugo. And if you have portability in mind (in the house or out and about), I wouldn't hesitate to try the Hugo at all. As you surely will enjoy it for a long time! <img src=

Edit: I might eat some of my words when Rob puts together a new top of the line desktop DAC and show it to the world, but even though it should be an revolutionary improvement I could still enjoy the quality of Hugo as it is, as it has reached a "certain level" and is enjoyable no matter what.

..well said. The key is to evaluate Hugo against what ever else you are considering and forget about the value of the Hugo for a while (not easy to do). Value is a great yardstick; until something better comes along...and I see more than a few Hugos being traded in when Rob finishes the successor to the QB76 DSD...might just be a while, as the Hugo is a tough little act to follow.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum