New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chord Hugo - Page 25

post #361 of 8399

I have a friend who's mother was sleeping with the step brother of a guy who used to work for a former supplier of a subsidiary of Chord, and apparently, my friend heard that if you use SPC cables on iems and plug them into the Chord, a little cat will die in Japan. True story.

 

Guys, let us all stay calm. Several headfiers say it sounds great with all formats, and then one guy with 12 POSTS comes, says an UNNAMED professionnal reviewers says it sucks with low res files, and we are all in a panic. Let us all take a step back from this kind of post. I am not saying the guy is lying or anything...but I would need more substantiated information to form an opinion.

post #362 of 8399

I am gonna be so angry if this Hugo cannot play my 128kbps MP3 like studio master.

post #363 of 8399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post
 

I have a friend who's mother was sleeping with the step brother of a guy who used to work for a former supplier of a subsidiary of Chord, and apparently, my friend heard that if you use SPC cables on iems and plug them into the Chord, a little cat will die in Japan. True story.

 

Guys, let us all stay calm. Several headfiers say it sounds great with all formats, and then one guy with 12 POSTS comes, says an UNNAMED professionnal reviewers says it sucks with low res files, and we are all in a panic. Let us all take a step back from this kind of post. I am not saying the guy is lying or anything...but I would need more substantiated information to form an opinion.


Mimouille,

 

I hope you are staying away from personal attacks.  My Hugo is coming in on Wednesday so I'll know for myself soon enough.  No need to get defensive as I doubt you even have one yet to be defensive of.

 

I go to my first headphone meetup with a Hugo on order.  Several people, when I say I have the Hugo on order and ask for opinions, say you need to talk to XXX who did an audition for the Hugo at CES and he is the reviewer for XYZ.  I go talk to him and he says what I posted earlier.  I don't feel comfortable labeling who he is as he isn't here to defend himself.

 

How should I handle the situation?  I post on head-fi asking if those with Hugo have seen anything similar knowing that this guy is supposed to be very critical.  Was there something I did wrong?  Should I not have brought it up?  I'll be glad to see that this guy was just being too picky as I am a Hugo owner already without my Hugo.  I'll make up my own opinion soon enough, but I would say your attitude is a turn off for those of us new to this forum and looking for real opinions.

post #364 of 8399

So following my little issue with top of the bit rate indicator coming loose I've been advised to use my current Hugo until new stock comes into Custom Cable in the UK. Then I'll return it & get a new replacement one. Seems like a fair solution to me though don't know whether current demand will mean I will have to use my existing one for a fair while yet! I'll keep you posted. 

post #365 of 8399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashem View Post


Mimouille,

I hope you are staying away from personal attacks.  My Hugo is coming in on Wednesday so I'll know for myself soon enough.  No need to get defensive as I doubt you even have one yet to be defensive of.

I go to my first headphone meetup with a Hugo on order.  Several people, when I say I have the Hugo on order and ask for opinions, say you need to talk to XXX who did an audition for the Hugo at CES and he is the reviewer for XYZ.  I go talk to him and he says what I posted earlier.  I don't feel comfortable labeling who he is as he isn't here to defend himself.

How should I handle the situation?  I post on head-fi asking if those with Hugo have seen anything similar knowing that this guy is supposed to be very critical.  Was there something I did wrong?  Should I not have brought it up?  I'll be glad to see that this guy was just being too picky as I am a Hugo owner already without my Hugo.  I'll make up my own opinion soon enough, but I would say your attitude is a turn off for those of us new to this forum and looking for real opinions.
I was obviously kidding and never said you are not entitled to repeat a possibly valid opinion. I was more telling people to not get over excited over 1 second hand opinion.
post #366 of 8399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post

I was obviously kidding and never said you are not entitled to repeat a possibly valid opinion. I was more telling people to not get over excited over 1 second hand opinion.

Gotcha and I agree with you on that statement. Back on topic, I had auditioned the hugo briefly when I was buying my lcd-x. Hugo sounded great but didn't listen too carefully and only to hi Rez files as I was really there to buy headphones.

On the negative side, I almost surely got one of the Hugo's with the case issues. Hopefully my MIT cables fit. Has anyone heard what chord is going to do for current owners as opposed to fixing it going forward?

FedEx delivering my hugo on Wednesday. So if you have specific questions, I'll by happy to test it to find out the answers then.
post #367 of 8399
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

Lol yes this is true. I am thinking of the Hugo. But if I do for potibilry it's a three stack combo. Transport , Hugo , amp. Now I use the hibino and a iBasso pb2 amp. With CIEM,s.
It is really good.
Al

Al

Just IMHO, i think it could be a bit overkill to amp the Hugo....


.........

Well, not until Cavalli releases the portable amp this Fall... LoL
post #368 of 8399
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjw241142 View Post
 

So following my little issue with top of the bit rate indicator coming loose I've been advised to use my current Hugo until new stock comes into Custom Cable in the UK. Then I'll return it & get a new replacement one. Seems like a fair solution to me though don't know whether current demand will mean I will have to use my existing one for a fair while yet! I'll keep you posted. 

 

I daresay if Custom-Cables had a replacement it would be on it's way to you... Phil is big on customer-service.

post #369 of 8399

I have been in contact with Phil & Custom Cables customer service is excellent. So I'll just have to be patient…...

post #370 of 8399
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicHolyGhost View Post
 

I am gonna be so angry if this Hugo cannot play my 128kbps MP3 like studio master.

 

gotta lurve high standards... :wink_face: 

 

ps... intermission time... enjoy

 


Edited by OK-Guy - 2/18/14 at 3:31am
post #371 of 8399
Very good. Europe has the best commercials. Here in the states the advertisers feed us dribble always worried about special interest groups getting upset.

Funny video
Al
post #372 of 8399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormfriend View Post
 I'm not getting close to 12-14 hours battery life however as the sound cuts out after about 7-8 hours.  It sounds just about as good plugged in (god knows how), but I'm still disappointed in it.  It continued to operate after the sound stopped, and once I plugged the power cable in it started outputting sound again after a few seconds, but it's not what I was hoping for.

 

I did leave it playing without the power cable attached overnight at one point and it was switched off in the morning.  It took about a minute for it to turn back on again when power was reconnected, so maybe that affected it, but I'd expect a £1200 device to look after its battery better than that if that's the cause of the short run times now.  My ipad 1 battery is a masterpiece of longevity and run time, so it can be done.  Alternatively it may just be the run time is shorter driving HD800s (or a mix of HD800s and line level outputs as I did tonight).  I'll do a proper time check later this week. 

 

How are other people managing on run times?

 

According to Chord's Matt Bartlett, the Hugo always runs on battery power to isolate it from the mains. It has a managed circuit, so can be left plugged in and charging permanently.  Whilst on constant charge (plugged in at home), you are only trickle charging the battery to keep it topped up.  The battery isn't 'user replaceable' as such because the connections need to be soldered, but any technician could do the job.  Even if the battery is subjected to many cycles (ie charged from flat), it will last many years.


Edited by BrainFood - 2/18/14 at 6:44am
post #373 of 8399
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainFood View Post
 

 

According to Chord, the Hugo always runs on battery power to isolate it from the mains. It has a managed circuit, so can be left plugged in and charging permantely.  Whilst on constant charge (plugged in at home), you are only trickle charging the battery to keep it topped up.  The battery isn't 'user replaceable' as such because the connections need to be soldered, but any technician could do the job.

 

I wondered if that was the case, simply because nothing else I've tried including the NAD M51 and Mytek DAC were this consistent, nor sounded this good on the AG1500.  That's superb news, thanks.  Another factor I didn't consider before is that because the Hugo has been running almost continuously since it arrived, if it does just trickle charge it may not have got back to full charge in between eight hour listening sessions as the battery is still discharging all the time.  It's not as though I've turned it off and given it a chance... :-)

 

I'm a happy bunny now.  The SoTM battery is on its way too apparently, and that uses two batteries which flip back and forwards with one running and the other charging, so that gives me a mostly maintenance free battery powered system.  Its just the core PC to deal with then, which I suspect will get an RWA Black Lightning, but I need to swap out the old 130W TDP i7 920 with something a little less hungry before doing that.

 

 

post #374 of 8399
Hello here is some advice. If you have the USB card And it is on battery power you are now isolated. I know you will of the CPU being dirty and it is. But you have taken care of it.

You can do it but there should be nothing to gain. And the card you purchased does work very well. Good choice. As for a better USB cable now that should yield better results.

Al
post #375 of 8399
Price of Hugo in UK before taxes (VAT) = 1000 £
which is equivalent to USD 1675 at today's exchange rate

Price of Hugo in US before taxes = USD 2395

Why such a huge difference?

Got no answer from Chord or the US distributor to my question.
Edited by hicham - 2/18/14 at 7:40am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum