I hope you aren't thinking iPhone 5s+Hugo sounds better than AK240?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW Chord Hugo USB DAC headphone amp for PCM & DSD audio, Portable and Desktop amplifier,... Last post on 4/19/14 at 8:43am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- NEW Chord Electronics Hugo USB DAC headphone amp for PSD and DSD Audio - Portable and Desktop,... Last post on 6/16/14 at 7:04am in Moon Audio Premier Sponsor Forum
- CHORD HUGO preview report Last post on 5/21/14 at 1:37pm in Sasaki
- Chord Electronics Hugo reference-grade DAC/headphone amp - coming Jan 2014 Last post on 12/9/13 at 1:43pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Chord Hugo to go (Portable DSD DAC/Amp) Last post on 1/5/14 at 3:50am in Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 7/24/14
Chord Hugo - Page 234
The nice thing about the AK240 is you can take it without the Hugo and it smokes every othe roplayer out there. In the house the Hugo does well wit it as the server. The native dsd ak240 sounds better playing the dsd file because et does not convert them to pcm, the Hugo has the Dop conversion. But love them together because the Hugo is so good but going on flights the ak240 does what you need it to do. An iphoneor ipod touch or ipad cant come close to the ak240 heads up. The 240 is the best portable player I have heard that does everything well. I will hear the ak12-0 11 in Newport Beach this weekend to see if it is close to the ak240.
Edited by Frank I - 5/26/14 at 10:40am
The nice thing about the AK240 is you can take it without the Hugo and it smokes every othe roplayer out there. In the house the Hugo does well wit it as the server. The native dad ak240 sounds better playing the dsd file because eit does not convert them to pcd, the Hugo has the Dop conversion. But love them together because the Hugo is so good but going on flights the ak240 does what you need it to do. An ipohine or ipod touch or ipad cant come close to the ak240 heads up. The 240 is the best portable player I have heard that does everything well. I will hear the ak12-0 11 in Newport Beach this weekend to see if it is close to the ak240.
The hugo doesn't have native dsd playback?
Duh no kiddin
If you read my post carefully you will see that the HUGO does Dop which means it converts to pcm. i also said the DSD filesi n the ak240 becuse of the native DSD chip in the ak240 sounds better. Post clearly stated the Hugo is not native but Dop
Most DAC uses DoP as standard this includes Auralic, Marantz, Ayre, Luxman. I believe it is via program like foobar or jriver etc that convert the file to DoP and not the dac itself.
Edited by SleepyOne - 5/26/14 at 11:10am
Jriver can play both ways. It's just a transport method the DAC s do what ever when they rec the data.
There is no compromise in either format
My MyTek is native. My direst stream is dop
Not sure it converts - I think it simply sends dsd over the PCM?
Lots of misinformation here.
DoP is NOT (I repeat NOT) a PCM conversion path. DoP is a clever way to pack native DSD into a 24/176k+ signal path (in the first 16 bits, the remaining 8 bits are used to flag, or tell, the DAC whther its; PCM or native DSD in the path). This was created so DAC mfg'ers don't have to write their own specific native ASIO drivers, etc. It has NOTHING at all to do with DSD-to-PCM. The DAC (whatever player/DAC combo is set for DoP) ultimately sees native DSD at its input.
That being said, what the Hugo does internally (and what many DACs do internally to DSD) is irrelevant to DoP. The Hugo decimates DSD (so it can process it in crossfeed, volume controll,etc) to PCM and then upsamples it in deep space. Some DACs take DSD and create PCM; some DACs take PCM and create DSD (Emm, Meitner, PSA Directstream, PD, etc are examples of one-bit architectures).
Don't mix metaphors. Don't use terms interchangeably.
Edited by ted_b - 5/26/14 at 11:47am
- Chord Hugo
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Hifiman HE-500 for Beyerdynamic T90 6 seconds ago
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX90 dual boot with Stock FW ver 2.1.0 (Latest... 54 seconds ago
- › Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04,... 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Audio-gd USB-32 Firmware, Drivers, and Feedback Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Mini-Meet in FLORIDA. North/Central area. Look here if interested! 4 minutes ago
- › Amp recommendations for Fostex TH900? 5 minutes ago
- › Narmoo's NEW S1 Dual dynamic supremus! 5 minutes ago
- › Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by H20Fidelity
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › AKG K490 NC by MP3guy
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)