Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Chord Hugo TT is announced. Last post on 7/28/15 at 10:38am in Dedicated Source Components
- Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced Last post on Today at 4:26 pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Chord Hugo big brother : Chord QBD 76 HDSD Last post on 7/8/15 at 12:55pm in High-end Audio Forum
- NEW Chord Hugo USB DAC headphone amp for PCM & DSD audio, Portable and Desktop amplifier,... Last post on 4/19/14 at 8:43am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- NEW Chord Electronics Hugo USB DAC headphone amp for PSD and DSD Audio - Portable and Desktop,... Last post on 6/16/14 at 7:04am in Moon Audio Premier Sponsor Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 6/26/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/28/15
Purchased these this week, and had them replaced with another set - which exhibited the same flaw. Two may be a curse, but they both did the same thing so I would be wary. When on standby,...
Synopsis: The RD3 is part of the next generation of earphones from Rhapsodio. Powered by a single high-end dynamic driver, it has a warm sound and a hearty bass response. The RD3’s design...
Synopsis: The Spectrum Series G10 is the next generation universal fit stage monitor from Future Sonics. Replacing the Atrio with a new driver, housing, and cables, the G10 surpasses it in detail...
Introduction: I received the Cayin N6 as a tour unit that was generously provided by CTC Audio. CTC Audio focuses on making brands that aren’t as accessible in North America, mostly from Asia,...
The Shure SE215 is the first IEM I owned and was the one that brought me in head-fi. I got mine for around $95 at the time after reading some reviews online here and there. Since then, I've learned...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Chord Hugo - Page 230
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
I think the stock cables accessories changes over time. If you look at http://samaudio.co.kr/bbs/board.php?bo_table=01hifi_news&wr_id=141
There are more cables there than what I got.
Thanks. Changing the setting to LPCM seems to have solved the problem!
Regarding the cable, I just realised that I've actually been using the optical cable supplied with the Hugo with my Oppo. The cheap cable I referred to is the one I'm using with my AK120 (sorry, my fault). Does anyone know whether the cable that comes with the Hugo is limited to 24/96? I've just tried to play a blu-ray disc from Neil Young's Archives set (which is supposed to be 24/192) and while it outputs sound, it's only showing the Orange/Yellow colour on the Hugo.
yea, mine did not came with the 3.5 to toslink I had to get the plug in for it which didnt work. I am waiting the VDH cable to arrive by end of next week.
If I understood you correctly yes all the output will have the same lineout volume. Technically they all should have the sound output level but some like to use RCA as they believe it provides them better separation.
You don't bypass anything. That setting is just volume control set to the same level as in Chord Qute output. Also there is no headphone amp section per se, it is just output* from the DAC itself (I think).
*Just higher output than usual.
Edited by SleepyOne - 5/24/14 at 10:24am
So there isn't a headphone amplifier in the Hugo? What we are hearing is straight from the DAC? Can anyone else confirm this?
Check out Rob Watts's postings, very interesting read! ( http://www.head-fi.org/forums/posts/by_user/id/394072/page/ )
Anyway here are couple of links of interest:
Edited by SleepyOne - 5/24/14 at 1:25pm
I left my Hugo on during the night, forgetting to leave it plugged in and this morning it was off. Now it will not turn on. Plugged in with the charge light on, and after one hour, it will still not turn on. Is there a way to reset the Hugo?
Well, after a little over an hour now, it has finally come to life. Must be that one of the batteries takes a while to come up to snuff, so to say.
Edited by jamato8 - 5/24/14 at 11:23am
That's not what he is saying. He is saying that the amplifier in the Hugo is not bypassed, whether you set the line level preset (holding crosfeed while powering on), letting it power on normally, or adjusting volume to any volume level (whether preset or not). The amplifier (yes, there is a headphone/all output amplifier in the Hugo) and volume control are always in the signal path. Adding an amp to that is not what you'd like to do, if at all possible. Given the amp and volume control in the signal path, the use of adapters and extenders, etc......it's a wonder the Hugo sounds decent at all, right? Well, it sounds amazing, not decent. :) And yes, it makes many of us home DAC users drool at the thought of a truly bypassed, adapter-less signal path in the upcoming (supposedly even higher resolving, more taps) QBD replacement.
While this is true, understand that even standalone DACs have a gain stage to get the signal to line level. For example, the CypherLabs -dB has three OP amps to achieve its line-level output. Then a standalone portable amp will have something like 4-8 OPs for further gain to drive your headphones.
The DAC is considered top-game as it is now. So whatever is "in the way" doesn't seem to be much of a problem. Though I do understand wanting to bypass for purity reasons - but then you would still have to have some sort of gain.
Edited by SoundFreaq - 5/24/14 at 12:46pm
- Chord Hugo
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Multi-IEM Review - 339 IEMs compared (FLC Technology FLC 8 added... 2 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 48 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 57 seconds ago
- › Best IEM under $150 for Fiio x3 2nd Gen 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD700 5 minutes ago
- › Objective 2 + Creative USB Sound Card ? 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread 10 minutes ago
- › New Meier Corda Rock 11 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 12 minutes ago
- › Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Computer Speaker System by Fademan77
- › Rhapsodio RD3 Hi-Fi Grade Dynamic In-Ear Monitor by Kunlun
- › Future Sonics Spectrum Series: G10 by Kunlun
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by Cotnijoe
- › Shure SE215 by KewStone
- › VSONIC GR07 by MRC001
- › Tube Amp LF-15 by ClieOS
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by goodyfresh
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-80 by goodyfresh
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by snellemin
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3