Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW Chord Hugo USB DAC headphone amp for PCM & DSD audio, Portable and Desktop amplifier,... Last post on 4/19/14 at 8:43am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- NEW Chord Electronics Hugo USB DAC headphone amp for PSD and DSD Audio - Portable and Desktop,... Last post on 6/16/14 at 7:04am in Moon Audio Premier Sponsor Forum
- CHORD HUGO preview report Last post on 8/5/14 at 6:48pm in Sasaki
- Chord Electronics Hugo reference-grade DAC/headphone amp - coming Jan 2014 Last post on 12/9/13 at 1:43pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Chord Hugo to go (Portable DSD DAC/Amp) Last post on 1/5/14 at 3:50am in Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 7/30/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
The HD600 is a pair of excellent sounding cans. They have a balanced, natural sound and the soundstage is remarkably large. I can hear all sorts of sounds while listening to these cans and I can...
Before I begin, I’d like to thank shotgunshane for the opportunity to review these new headphones. My first experience with Brainwavz was when I picked up their M4 a couple of years ago. I was...
I have used this amp for about a year now, and I must say it has served me well. POWER Through many different headphones, the FiiO E09K hasn't skipped a beat, and has driven everything from...
Using WASAPI, ASIO and onboard stock drivers yielded the exact same result. Same sound quality and same sound coloration. Unless you are suffering from serious EMI and static noise then these dont...
This is a review of TTPOD T1E dual dynamic driver in-ear headphones. http://penonaudio.com/TTPOD-T1E-Bass Here you go, another in-ear headphone gem for under $50! Though I was a bit skeptical...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Chord Hugo - Page 230
I think the stock cables accessories changes over time. If you look at http://samaudio.co.kr/bbs/board.php?bo_table=01hifi_news&wr_id=141
There are more cables there than what I got.
Pretty much the same as the cables below, quite a few USB plus several optical cables
Even micro USB ports looked different from the very first version of chassis without the improved RCA jacks, we've been told that new chassis would be only modified for RCA in the middle but for some reasons even something else was done for micro USB as well.
Thanks. Changing the setting to LPCM seems to have solved the problem!
Regarding the cable, I just realised that I've actually been using the optical cable supplied with the Hugo with my Oppo. The cheap cable I referred to is the one I'm using with my AK120 (sorry, my fault). Does anyone know whether the cable that comes with the Hugo is limited to 24/96? I've just tried to play a blu-ray disc from Neil Young's Archives set (which is supposed to be 24/192) and while it outputs sound, it's only showing the Orange/Yellow colour on the Hugo.
yea, mine did not came with the 3.5 to toslink I had to get the plug in for it which didnt work. I am waiting the VDH cable to arrive by end of next week.
If I understood you correctly yes all the output will have the same lineout volume. Technically they all should have the sound output level but some like to use RCA as they believe it provides them better separation.
You don't bypass anything. That setting is just volume control set to the same level as in Chord Qute output. Also there is no headphone amp section per se, it is just output* from the DAC itself (I think).
*Just higher output than usual.
Edited by SleepyOne - 5/24/14 at 10:24am
So there isn't a headphone amplifier in the Hugo? What we are hearing is straight from the DAC? Can anyone else confirm this?
Check out Rob Watts's postings, very interesting read! ( http://www.head-fi.org/forums/posts/by_user/id/394072/page/ )
Anyway here are couple of links of interest:
Edited by SleepyOne - 5/24/14 at 1:25pm
I left my Hugo on during the night, forgetting to leave it plugged in and this morning it was off. Now it will not turn on. Plugged in with the charge light on, and after one hour, it will still not turn on. Is there a way to reset the Hugo?
Well, after a little over an hour now, it has finally come to life. Must be that one of the batteries takes a while to come up to snuff, so to say.
Edited by jamato8 - 5/24/14 at 11:23am
That's not what he is saying. He is saying that the amplifier in the Hugo is not bypassed, whether you set the line level preset (holding crosfeed while powering on), letting it power on normally, or adjusting volume to any volume level (whether preset or not). The amplifier (yes, there is a headphone/all output amplifier in the Hugo) and volume control are always in the signal path. Adding an amp to that is not what you'd like to do, if at all possible. Given the amp and volume control in the signal path, the use of adapters and extenders, etc......it's a wonder the Hugo sounds decent at all, right? Well, it sounds amazing, not decent. :) And yes, it makes many of us home DAC users drool at the thought of a truly bypassed, adapter-less signal path in the upcoming (supposedly even higher resolving, more taps) QBD replacement.
While this is true, understand that even standalone DACs have a gain stage to get the signal to line level. For example, the CypherLabs -dB has three OP amps to achieve its line-level output. Then a standalone portable amp will have something like 4-8 OPs for further gain to drive your headphones.
The DAC is considered top-game as it is now. So whatever is "in the way" doesn't seem to be much of a problem. Though I do understand wanting to bypass for purity reasons - but then you would still have to have some sort of gain.
Edited by SoundFreaq - 5/24/14 at 12:46pm
- Chord Hugo
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 25 seconds ago
- › MHDT Havana DAC 38 seconds ago
- › Ok so I started making the move to better sound quality headphones... 38 seconds ago
- › MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100 47 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 minutes ago
- › Highend Headphones Showroom Launch Party (UK) September 27th! 2 minutes ago
- › 24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded! 3 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 3 minutes ago
- › Looking for headphones, not bright or fatiguing 3 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by freedom04
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by ZapX629
- › FiiO E09K by MacroPower
- › FiiO Andes (E07K) Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier -... by wigglepuff
- › TTPOD T1-E High Definition Dual Dynamic Professional In-ear Earphone by twister6
- › Havi B3 Pro 1 by bhazard
- › AKG K712 Pro by achelgeson
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Barra
- › PHILIPS-HEADPHONES SHQ1200/28 SHQ1200/28 SPORTS IN EAR HEADPHONES by dieTasse
- › Beats by Dr. Dre Tour In-Ear Headphones by juston
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)