or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chord Hugo - Page 212

post #3166 of 14305

I found this seriously well written review of the Hugo, enjoy...

 

http://theproaudiowebblog.com/chord-hugo-review.html

post #3167 of 14305
Quote:
Originally Posted by OK-Guy View Post

I found this seriously well written review of the Hugo, enjoy...

http://theproaudiowebblog.com/chord-hugo-review.html

Nothing much in that review. Only thing i got was...... Rob Watts is a genius. HAHAHA. Hugo is truly amazing. Time and time again all I see is that it is better than products costing way more.
post #3168 of 14305
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantana View Post

You are right they do sound great but I want to maximize their potential with a nice amp.  Anyone tried the Hugo->HDVA 600->HD800?  Think this combo may do something special for me.  Not keen to heft the HD800 to a dealer to demo the HDVA 600 though...

I did yesterday in Siam Paragon...the shop there used QuteHD as source, hdvd800 as amp...treble is too hot and harsh from that setup...so uncomfortable that I just gave up
post #3169 of 14305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Edwards View Post

I sometimes use the TU-05b tube amp with the Hugo. Mostly for the Grado RS-1. I love the tube sound, but tend to agree with Mr Watts, no amp is pretty darn great.

I totally agree. And it's portable too!
post #3170 of 14305
Don't need no stinkin' review. I got a Hugo. My ears review music.
post #3171 of 14305
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Scott Ireland View Post


I totally agree. And it's portable too!

Hey R Scott,

I can't really imagine going anywhere using this combo on batteries, especially because you'd also need a source! Maybe when the A2P leather case arrives I'll reconsider. 

Luggable gear like the Hugo and TU-05b are great for freelance gigs at a desk, but I'd never take them on an airplane, or to a coffee shop. That's what IEM's and DAPs are for.

post #3172 of 14305

That last review was just annoying - at least the guys who write for the mags can be entertaining and (on occasion) remove themselves from the frame. I constantly got the sense that the author was more intent on unleashing his vocabulary and some sort of pseudo-scientific method on us that the Hugo was secondary to the whole exercise. Personally, I'm a big fan of John's (project86) reviews, and he never tries to pretend that its anything other than his subjective opinion. 

 

To quote Roxette - Don't bore us, get to the chorus ! 

post #3173 of 14305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Edwards View Post

Hey R Scott,
I can't really imagine going anywhere using this combo on batteries, especially because you'd also need a source! Maybe when the A2P leather case arrives I'll reconsider. 
Luggable gear like the Hugo and TU-05b are great for freelance gigs at a desk, but I'd never take them on an airplane, or to a coffee shop. That's what IEM's and DAPs are for.

I use the Hugo portably with a DX90 source (digital coax). I have a small cordura case with shoulder strap that works very well with this combo. Why deny yourself great sound while walking the dog?
post #3174 of 14305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Edwards View Post
 

I think the HD800 sounds great straight out of the Hugo... 

 

Agreed, and all this hoopla about the LCD-X is seriously annoying when the vice has only just come off my head after an hour or so. I should pick up my Taurus today, and I'll be taking just one pair of cans with me - the HD800. Unless I can get on top of the comfort issues, I dont think either of my Audeze headphones - or their OTT travel cases - will be remaining under my roof for much longer. Watched an entire action movie - Pacific RIm Blu-Ray - with the HD800s on my head yesterday and it was fantastic from start to finish, even from the headphone out on my Marantz speaker amp. Prior to these cans, every pair of Senns I've owned have ended up elsewhere (several in the trash), but these are a keeper. Full marks to Audeze for their marketing, though - these are the Head-Fi equivalent of the 'cruel shoes' that women will wear despite the pain  ;)

post #3175 of 14305
Yes - using Max to convert aif to alac on to seagate wireless plus did the trick. Can play 192 now no prob.
post #3176 of 14305
Quote:
Originally Posted by podeschi View Post

Yes - using Max to convert aif to alac on to seagate wireless plus did the trick. Can play 192 now no prob.


That's great.  Looks like I was wrong on suspecting that the wifi was too slow.  Glad to hear you made it work.:smile:

post #3177 of 14305

Munich Hi-End Show photo's...

 

 

Program with Hugo review by Chris Martens (see Chord's website - note: not obligatory)

 

 

Hugo & iPhone

 

 

Hugo with Noble K10's & Sony ZX1

 

 

The calm before the storm at Munich

 

 

Chord's Reference System featuring PMC Speakers & Chord-Company Cables

 

 

Proud Uno-Numero's: Mr Pete Thomas (PMC's owner) and Mr John Franks (Chord's owner).


Edited by OK-Guy - 5/19/14 at 3:38am
post #3178 of 14305
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudi0504 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewbi View Post

Rudi what is your view of ZX-1 and HD USB? Is coaxial still better? I currently use my C4 with HUGO for it and like it alot. 

Coaxial is the best SQ from Hugo

 

Overkill for the win.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantana View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudi0504 View Post


Coaxial is the best SQ from Hugo

Is that universal, as in the coax from all sources will sound better than optical/usb from any other source?  Does the Hugo have better coax in than optical/usb?  Or is it a preferance thing?

 

No, it depends on the quality of the transport connected in my experience as well as, not to mention, how the DAC handles digital inputs.

post #3179 of 14305
Quote:
Originally Posted by OK-Guy View Post

Munich Hi-End Show photo's...




Program with Hugo review by Chris Martens (see Chord's website - note: not obligatory)




Hugo & iPhone




Hugo with Noble K10's & Sony ZX1




The calm before the storm at Munich




Chord's Reference System featuring PMC Speakers & Chord-Company Cables




Proud Uno-Numero's: Mr Pete Thomas (PMC's owner) and Mr John Franks (Chord's owner).
Exactly the same set up I've got in my lounge..Wow what a set up!
Edited by Hifi Nutter - 5/19/14 at 5:00am
post #3180 of 14305
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantana View Post

You are right they do sound great but I want to maximize their potential with a nice amp.  Anyone tried the Hugo->HDVA 600->HD800?  Think this combo may do something special for me.  Not keen to heft the HD800 to a dealer to demo the HDVA 600 though...
I've been testing over the past 2 days, equipment used,chord hugo, naim hdx, hd800s, hdvd800 with balance cable .by the way, using the optical cable from the hdx 2 the hugo, all equipment and cables have been run in, which is important 2 note.just using the chord hugo the hd800s sound great,and I think most people would be very happy with just the hugo and the hd800s.now I'm using the hugo in dac only mode 2 the hdvd 800 amp, and wow it's making the hd800s sing like never before.i can honestly say it's one of the best headphone setups I've ever heard.i think the best thing 2 do would be 2 home demo the amp with the balance cable.
Edited by lovethatsound - 5/19/14 at 4:56am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum