Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Chord Hugo TT is announced. Last post on 1/1/16 at 11:30am in High-end Audio Forum
- Chord Hugo TT High End DAC Amp Impressions Thread Last post on 5/23/16 at 10:35am in High-end Audio Forum
- Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced Last post on 5/16/16 at 9:01am in Dedicated Source Components
- Chord Hugo big brother : Chord QBD 76 HDSD Last post on 1/31/16 at 9:27pm in High-end Audio Forum
- NEW Chord Hugo USB DAC headphone amp for PCM & DSD audio, Portable and Desktop amplifier,... Last post on 4/19/14 at 8:43am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/4/15
- Chord Mojo FAQLast edited: 3/23/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)Last edited: 12/10/15
I bought this ckr9ltd from AliExpress for 47USD, less than the usual 120USD RRP. Few fellow buyer with original ckr9ltd claimed that this is a real deal. I have no problem whatsoever to believe...
Disclamer. I provided these Sony Z5 for myself just for the sheer sound of it. These were not given to me for any type of review. I am writing these impressions of these works of art due...
Background I ordered my pair of AAW A3H Pros during Black Friday weekend 2015 at a certain group-buying website, hoping to get my feet wet in the world of customs at a price that wouldn't break...
REVIEW - Fiio EM3 Fiio is not a company that needs any introduction. Known for its wide and affordable large Amp and DAC line, and well regarded since the release of the first DAP...
Design/durability: Stellar build quality is one of the highlights of the Rockets. Pretty much every feature of it seems indestructible. The L-shaped jack seems very sturdy and has enough strain...
Chord Hugo - Page 18post #256 of 133762/11/14 at 8:45pm
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #257 of 133762/11/14 at 10:40pm
There are impressions posted on this site which would lead one to arrive at such a conclusion. Also there are reviews around the web which make it abundantly clear that this is about as good as it gets.post #258 of 133762/11/14 at 11:26pmQuote:
oh, I am not aware of such impression but it was quite clear to me that Hugo performs exceptionally well when comparing with other portable dac/amp/dap and that the SQ is up to desktop grade.post #259 of 133762/11/14 at 11:36pmQuote:
have to agree... even Jude said the Hugo is the dogs (not his exact words, so you'll have to hunt through the AK240 thread)post #260 of 133762/11/14 at 11:43pmpost #261 of 133762/11/14 at 11:47pmQuote:
think you'll have to wait about another week for Industry reviews... after the Bristol Show (not many Hugo's around)
hopefully Jude will chip-in with some more thoughts.
Edited by OK-Guy - 2/11/14 at 11:50pmpost #262 of 133762/12/14 at 12:12amQuote:
Thanks, OK-Guypost #263 of 133762/12/14 at 1:23am
What usb cable did you use out of the cck?
Quote:Originally Posted by holeout
Just connected the Hugo to iPad via usb cck and using Onkyo HF Player to play DSD and hi-res flac files.
Native DSD sounded awesome, can't think of any portable device right now that can stream DSD to the Hugo except for idevices or a notebook. Probably be getting an ipod touch 64G to make this a more portable setup. I definitely prefer the SQ and battery life of this setup over AK120S>Hugo, maybe there will be Android base devices that can do this in the near future...post #264 of 133762/12/14 at 6:51am
As I was searching for more info on Hugo, I stumbled upon this website:
Chord did a event in Taipei, it was mentioned that optical can support up to 24/192 and coaxial can support up to 32/384. The claim was tested in their lab. However, it also mentioned that there isn't any transport that can do this in the market? and perhaps Chord will be looking into release one in the future?
Fingers crossed....post #265 of 133762/12/14 at 9:52ampost #266 of 133762/12/14 at 10:29amI just use the stock USB cable that came with the Hugo coming out from the CCK, Hugo only take micro USB connectors and I can't find any high end cable with USB A > micro. Just bought some diy usb connectors and will be making one up for this setup...post #267 of 133762/12/14 at 11:02amI have purchased this micro USB cable to use with my Hugo - http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/vertere-acoustics-d-fi-usb-interconnect-cable.html - as there's an option to specify USB Type A to USB Micro.post #268 of 133762/12/14 at 11:16ampost #269 of 133762/12/14 at 12:17pm
My question is this:
Anything paired with Hugo, such as Clip+, Tera , AK120 or any other DAP playing 44.1 or 24 BIT files will sound few times better?
Can anyone please explain.Thanks.post #270 of 133762/12/14 at 2:19pmI guess that I am still talking to myself here.. but some of you might want to know.. the Airport Express way was not the way to go, so I tried the AppleTV way also..
The sound was ok even though it was not bit perfect to the DacMagic 100 (16/44.1 upsampled to 16/48). The AppleTV did not drop out as often as the Airport Express but the dropouts still occured and it was annoying.. and I tried to watch Netflix, YouTube etc. on the iPad using AirPlay.. but the AppleTV wanted to show video also (and nothing on the iDevice), even though the HDMI cable wasn't plugged in, and no settings either on the iDevice or AppleTV could change that.. so the AppleTV way was not practical for me either..
The DacMagic 100 sounded ok with some music, but I got tired of listening to it.. and some music sounded awful also.. so I decided to hook up my Linn Akurate DS (ADS/1 with Dynamik power supply upgrade) to my AURALiC Taurus instead, and the ADS has AirPlay support.. now it streams bit perfect and the sound is awsome.. tested with high resolution files also (24/192) streaming from my NAS and it was soooo smooth.. I had actually forgotten about how good head-fi could be..
Now it is two weeks until my Hugo arrives, and I have no economical / practical AirPlay support for it.. so I will be depending on a USB cable and a camera kit and a Bluetooth connection while charging my iDevice.. however I am really looking forward to test Hugo's DAC hooked up to my Taurus, as I believe that Hugo's DAC will be better than the Linn Akurate DS.. and if it is better.. oh my.. oh my.. and I would be happy just getting close to this experience in a portable rig..
Two more weeks of waiting.. arghh..Quote:Originally Posted by nOtEcH
I guess that I'm talking to myself here.. but you might want to know.. the Airport Express way, is not the way to go.. at least for now.. I have optimized the network setup, and it is quite good, but dropouts still occure now and then.. I've searched on the internet, and I found this:
"I believe there are issues with the stability of the clocks in the latest AEs. If you go over to the pink side, you'll read of problems that the designer of the M-DAC had interfacing an AE to it:
" First first Gen worked without Drop outs when set to High Bandwidth... With Gen 3 they changed the Chip set and its even worst then the first for Jitter performance - with large discrete jumps in clock offsets - these jumps throw off (unlock) any dac with decent jitter attenuation (Tight Lock Bandwidths) - ironically Dac's with poor jitter attenuation cope with the Jumps, but off course they have poor jitter attenuation..."
and here's a similar comment from CambridgeAudio, quoted on an apple support forum:
"Basically, the Airport does not output a smooth SPDIF clocking. Every now and then, the Airport will sporadically adjust its output clock to track the desired sampling rate.
These adjustments are very sudden and are the cause of the noises and/or drop-outs describe".
So I guess I'll go back to the shop with the Airport Express and get my money back.. the cable should be ok but I don't need it anymore.. maybe in a few months if next generation of Airport Express is better..
I've heard that the AppleTV is better.. but dropouts are reported with those as well.. guess I'll give it a try.. but best guess now is to use USB and the camera kit with my iPad / iPhone / iPod Touch and use Bluetooth directly to Hugo while charging the iDevice..
- Chord Hugo
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Chord Mojo FAQ
- › thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea 32 seconds ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 1 minute ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers... 2 minutes ago
- › 1964 Ears Adel IEMs 3 minutes ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 3 minutes ago
- › Rate the video games you're currently playing 5 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-4 5 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 6 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG +... 8 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 9 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH CKR9 LTD by AzimAkbar
- › Sony XBA-Z5 Ultimate Hi-Res In Ear Headphone by Dsnuts
- › AAW A3H Pro Custom In-Ear Monitor by tz0531
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Zelda
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by Voyageur
- › W4S Recovery USB Reclocker by leeperry
- › Noble Audio Kaiser K10UA universal aluminum by Saraguie
- › Somic v2 by mark2410
- › Jays q-JAYS v2.0 by NeObliviscaris
- › Rockit Sounds R-50 by avocadobeats123
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...