Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Chord Hugo TT is announced. Last post on 1/1/16 at 11:30am in High-end Audio Forum
- 👍DAP-off: Astell&Kern AK240, AK380, HiFiMAN HM-901, Sony ZX-1, ZX-2, FiiO X5, X5II, Chord... Last post on 2/15/17 at 4:34am in Portable Source Gear
- Chord Hugo TT High End DAC Amp Impressions Thread Last post on 2/16/17 at 11:02am in High-end Audio Forum
- Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced Last post on 2/24/17 at 12:37pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Chord Hugo big brother : Chord QBD 76 HDSD Last post on 1/31/16 at 9:27pm in High-end Audio Forum
Chord Mojo FAQ
Last edited: 10/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)Last edited: 11/28/16
Aesthetics: The box with its engineering drawings, beautiful graphics, and presentation of the product leaves a great first impression. Included are ample sizes of silicon earpieces to choose...
This is a pretty long review. For the benefit of those with short attention spans, let’s cut right to the chase. The “entry level” Holo Spring DAC is good – very good! It is transparent,...
I just got my X1 II but I'm really busy so I will first pen a few quick thoughts and edit this next time/respond to any comments or PMs you send me :) Info and Specs...
Empire Ears & Effect Audio Collaboration “ARTHUR” Intro Specifications Arthur frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz Sensitivity: 21ohm @ 1mw 14 Balanced Armature drivers...
I love Ibasso, really respect there products, especially the DX90 wich I still use everyday after 3 years and have lot of pleasure to listen to, i'm still amaze by the clear, neutral and analytical...
Chord Hugo - Page 18post #256 of 147392/11/14 at 8:45pm
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #257 of 147392/11/14 at 10:40pm
There are impressions posted on this site which would lead one to arrive at such a conclusion. Also there are reviews around the web which make it abundantly clear that this is about as good as it gets.post #258 of 147392/11/14 at 11:26pmQuote:
oh, I am not aware of such impression but it was quite clear to me that Hugo performs exceptionally well when comparing with other portable dac/amp/dap and that the SQ is up to desktop grade.post #259 of 147392/11/14 at 11:36pmQuote:
have to agree... even Jude said the Hugo is the dogs (not his exact words, so you'll have to hunt through the AK240 thread)post #260 of 147392/11/14 at 11:43pmpost #261 of 147392/11/14 at 11:47pmQuote:
think you'll have to wait about another week for Industry reviews... after the Bristol Show (not many Hugo's around)
hopefully Jude will chip-in with some more thoughts.
Edited by OK-Guy - 2/11/14 at 11:50pmpost #262 of 147392/12/14 at 12:12amQuote:
Thanks, OK-Guypost #263 of 147392/12/14 at 1:23am
What usb cable did you use out of the cck?
Quote:Originally Posted by holeout
Just connected the Hugo to iPad via usb cck and using Onkyo HF Player to play DSD and hi-res flac files.
Native DSD sounded awesome, can't think of any portable device right now that can stream DSD to the Hugo except for idevices or a notebook. Probably be getting an ipod touch 64G to make this a more portable setup. I definitely prefer the SQ and battery life of this setup over AK120S>Hugo, maybe there will be Android base devices that can do this in the near future...post #264 of 147392/12/14 at 6:51am
As I was searching for more info on Hugo, I stumbled upon this website:
Chord did a event in Taipei, it was mentioned that optical can support up to 24/192 and coaxial can support up to 32/384. The claim was tested in their lab. However, it also mentioned that there isn't any transport that can do this in the market? and perhaps Chord will be looking into release one in the future?
Fingers crossed....post #265 of 147392/12/14 at 9:52ampost #266 of 147392/12/14 at 10:29amI just use the stock USB cable that came with the Hugo coming out from the CCK, Hugo only take micro USB connectors and I can't find any high end cable with USB A > micro. Just bought some diy usb connectors and will be making one up for this setup...post #267 of 147392/12/14 at 11:02amI have purchased this micro USB cable to use with my Hugo - http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/vertere-acoustics-d-fi-usb-interconnect-cable.html - as there's an option to specify USB Type A to USB Micro.post #268 of 147392/12/14 at 11:16ampost #269 of 147392/12/14 at 12:17pm
My question is this:
Anything paired with Hugo, such as Clip+, Tera , AK120 or any other DAP playing 44.1 or 24 BIT files will sound few times better?
Can anyone please explain.Thanks.post #270 of 147392/12/14 at 2:19pmI guess that I am still talking to myself here.. but some of you might want to know.. the Airport Express way was not the way to go, so I tried the AppleTV way also..
The sound was ok even though it was not bit perfect to the DacMagic 100 (16/44.1 upsampled to 16/48). The AppleTV did not drop out as often as the Airport Express but the dropouts still occured and it was annoying.. and I tried to watch Netflix, YouTube etc. on the iPad using AirPlay.. but the AppleTV wanted to show video also (and nothing on the iDevice), even though the HDMI cable wasn't plugged in, and no settings either on the iDevice or AppleTV could change that.. so the AppleTV way was not practical for me either..
The DacMagic 100 sounded ok with some music, but I got tired of listening to it.. and some music sounded awful also.. so I decided to hook up my Linn Akurate DS (ADS/1 with Dynamik power supply upgrade) to my AURALiC Taurus instead, and the ADS has AirPlay support.. now it streams bit perfect and the sound is awsome.. tested with high resolution files also (24/192) streaming from my NAS and it was soooo smooth.. I had actually forgotten about how good head-fi could be..
Now it is two weeks until my Hugo arrives, and I have no economical / practical AirPlay support for it.. so I will be depending on a USB cable and a camera kit and a Bluetooth connection while charging my iDevice.. however I am really looking forward to test Hugo's DAC hooked up to my Taurus, as I believe that Hugo's DAC will be better than the Linn Akurate DS.. and if it is better.. oh my.. oh my.. and I would be happy just getting close to this experience in a portable rig..
Two more weeks of waiting.. arghh..Quote:Originally Posted by nOtEcH
I guess that I'm talking to myself here.. but you might want to know.. the Airport Express way, is not the way to go.. at least for now.. I have optimized the network setup, and it is quite good, but dropouts still occure now and then.. I've searched on the internet, and I found this:
"I believe there are issues with the stability of the clocks in the latest AEs. If you go over to the pink side, you'll read of problems that the designer of the M-DAC had interfacing an AE to it:
" First first Gen worked without Drop outs when set to High Bandwidth... With Gen 3 they changed the Chip set and its even worst then the first for Jitter performance - with large discrete jumps in clock offsets - these jumps throw off (unlock) any dac with decent jitter attenuation (Tight Lock Bandwidths) - ironically Dac's with poor jitter attenuation cope with the Jumps, but off course they have poor jitter attenuation..."
and here's a similar comment from CambridgeAudio, quoted on an apple support forum:
"Basically, the Airport does not output a smooth SPDIF clocking. Every now and then, the Airport will sporadically adjust its output clock to track the desired sampling rate.
These adjustments are very sudden and are the cause of the noises and/or drop-outs describe".
So I guess I'll go back to the shop with the Airport Express and get my money back.. the cable should be ok but I don't need it anymore.. maybe in a few months if next generation of Airport Express is better..
I've heard that the AppleTV is better.. but dropouts are reported with those as well.. guess I'll give it a try.. but best guess now is to use USB and the camera kit with my iPad / iPhone / iPod Touch and use Bluetooth directly to Hugo while charging the iDevice..
- Chord Hugo
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. With WiFi and... 33 seconds ago
- › Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read... 1 minute ago
- › Best Computer Audio Player Software? 2 minutes ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 2 minutes ago
- › Damping Mechanical Energy Distortion of STAX and other phones with... 2 minutes ago
- › The New Thinksound Woodies. ON2, Rain3 and MS02 2 minutes ago
- › Any opinions / reviews on Gemtune APPJ PA1502A 3 minutes ago
- › The Fiio A5 thread: an upgrade of E12A, MUSES02+LME49600, 800mW,... 3 minutes ago
- › ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF 3 minutes ago
- › Jaybird X3 vs Bose Soundsport Wireless 3 minutes ago
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by wdetterman
- › Holo Audio Spring DAC - Level 1 "Base Model" by T Bone
- › FiiO X1-II High Resolution Lossless Music Player (2nd Generation)... by gemmoglock
- › Effect Audio X Empire Ears : "Arthur" by justrest
- › iBasso Audio DX80 High Resolution Audio Player by Nymphonomaniac
- › DUNU DN-2000J by EZE99
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by snapacap
- › AKG K 550 by Simurgh
- › Brainwavz BLU-Delta Bluetooth Earbud Wireless Noise Isolating... by chompchomps
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear