New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chord Hugo - Page 14

post #196 of 8263


for those thinking of pairing the Hugo with the Sony ZX1... Chord supply the required USB lead with the Hugo that works in conjunction with the Sony USB-Adapter... :bigsmile_face:

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #197 of 8263
Quote:
Originally Posted by OK-Guy View Post
 


for those thinking of pairing the Hugo with the Sony ZX1... Chord supply the required USB lead with the Hugo that works in conjunction with the Sony USB-Adapter... :bigsmile_face:

Is that cable something other than a standard USB cable?

post #198 of 8263
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbes View Post
 

Large-margin better.  I've heard M8/Apex Glacier/Vorzuge Pure - all very, very good - and the Hugo's in a different league.


so you did hugo to headphone vs hugo line out to amp to headphone? Because if you used those other amps with sources other than the hugo, then the comparison is invalid.

post #199 of 8263

no... the Sony has a special USB adapter and I was asked if it needed a special USB lead (it doesn't)... it should be ok to use with other Walkman's via the WM-Port/USB adapter which could be a absolute boon... how's the Hugo sound with Red-book files? (I kinda know the answer but it's good to talk)

post #200 of 8263
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbes View Post
 

This would never fit in a pocket (not mine, anyway).  This is in your briefcase/bag transportable territory.

 

I don't think even a lower-profile option, like Hugo/Touch, would work in an ordinary pocket - cargo pants, maybe, but not business wear.

 

Thought so.... looks wide, is it heavy?

post #201 of 8263

it would also be interesting to find out which digital input on the hugo sounds the best, usb, optical, or coax. I have a feeling it would be coax

post #202 of 8263
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachchen1996 View Post

it would also be interesting to find out which digital input on the hugo sounds the best, usb, optical, or coax. I have a feeling it would be coax

I am agree with you
In home and portable : coax has the best sound quality
post #203 of 8263

I have a feeling this will all filter out with time. The best digital input, best combination and it is all looking good. 

post #204 of 8263
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachchen1996 View Post
 


so you did hugo to headphone vs hugo line out to amp to headphone? Because if you used those other amps with sources other than the hugo, then the comparison is invalid.

No, you're right, I misread the question.  Can't comment on amp alone or DAC alone.  The pairing is phenomenal.

post #205 of 8263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldlion973 View Post
 

 

Thought so.... looks wide, is it heavy?

Not at all, just a bit bulky for being genuinely portable (vs. transportable)/pocket-friendly.  I don't consider the M8 "portable" either - this is about the same.  They're both fine to slip in a bag or briefcase, that kind of thing.

post #206 of 8263
I'm posting this here, it may be an issue with the DAP, but I'll try everything.
I've had my AK100 for a while, but only tried to play 24/176 & 24/192 tracks through the optical output into my Hugo today. And nothing. Lower rate files play fine through the optical-Hugo chain. Everything sounds fine through the headphone output so the AK100 is accessing & playing the files.
Am I missing something basic?
post #207 of 8263
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcyst View Post

I'm posting this here, it may be an issue with the DAP, but I'll try everything.
I've had my AK100 for a while, but only tried to play 24/176 & 24/192 tracks through the optical output into my Hugo today. And nothing. Lower rate files play fine through the optical-Hugo chain. Everything sounds fine through the headphone output so the AK100 is accessing & playing the files.
Am I missing something basic?

 

there are some bugs in the way  AK100 handle somes resolution through the optical out.  I have experienced the following with my RWAK100 + RWA Bellina DAC:

 

If I play a  24/192 file, it play correctly  (which is different from your problem), but then it is unable to play a 16 bits file as the "next file".  I need to play a 24/96 file to get the AK100 down from 24/192.  It is crazy, but it is like it could not "Jump" directly from 24/192 down to 16 bits without an intermediate step at 24/96.   I reported the bug to Vinnie who confirmed it.

 

This is not exactly your situation, but may ring you some bels

post #208 of 8263
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post
 

 

Thank you very much for doing this test for me.  I understand what you mean about "slam & details", but... did't you miss a little the "warm tube" sound of the TU-05 ?

 

-  Does this mean that you will not use the TU-05 anymore ? Or are there still some situation where you will use the TU-05 instead of the HUGO ?

 

- And what is your feeling about the built in "Crossfeed filter" or DSP.... whatever they call it ?

 

You are welcome.  I enjoy playing with all these gears.    As long as pairing with TH900, I think i will stick to Hugo for sure.   The synergy is amazing with TH900.    The cross feed filter does make some difference, but not significant in my opinion.   Very much like the filters on Audiolab MDAC.    

post #209 of 8263
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolutionx View Post

 

You are welcome.  I enjoy playing with all these gears.    As long as pairing with TH900, I think i will stick to Hugo for sure.   The synergy is amazing with TH900.    The cross feed filter does make some difference, but not significant in my opinion.   Very much like the filters on Audiolab MDAC.    

 

The greater the stereo separation, the more exaggerated the left-right panning, the more pronounced the effect of crossfeed will be.

 

Try some old stereo Beatles with all-the-way-left and all-the-way-right images in the mix, and the effect of switching crossfeed on is dramatic. A good example track that I usually use crossfeed with (if I have crossfeed available) is "Change" by Blind Melon--play it with headphones on, and you'll immediately know why. (By the way, without crossfeed on, it's fun to shift balance all the way left and listen to Shannon Hoon a capella for the better part of the first minute of the song.)

 

 

post #210 of 8263
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolutionx View Post
 

 

You are welcome.  I enjoy playing with all these gears.    As long as pairing with TH900, I think i will stick to Hugo for sure.   The synergy is amazing with TH900.    The cross feed filter does make some difference, but not significant in my opinion.   Very much like the filters on Audiolab MDAC.    

Thanks...  So I may go for the HOGO and...save some $ by avoiding the AK240 :-)

 

But then I need a decent source for the HUGO, and I am feed-up with the shrinked AK100's screen and poor UI & Playlists....   --> Android + USBAP  ? iPAD ? ...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum

Gear mentioned in this thread: