- 383 Posts. Joined 2/2014
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Chord Hugo TT is announced. Last post on 6/20/15 at 3:25am in Dedicated Source Components
- Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced Last post on Today at 12:02 pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Chord Hugo big brother : Chord QBD 76 HDSD Last post on 5/31/15 at 3:14am in High-end Audio Forum
- NEW Chord Hugo USB DAC headphone amp for PCM & DSD audio, Portable and Desktop amplifier,... Last post on 4/19/14 at 8:43am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- NEW Chord Electronics Hugo USB DAC headphone amp for PSD and DSD Audio - Portable and Desktop,... Last post on 6/16/14 at 7:04am in Moon Audio Premier Sponsor Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 6/26/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 6/29/15
This will be more of my impressions/comparisons and less of a review. I will be comparing them to the HD800 & K712 Pro ran over USB to the Cayin Spark C5 DAC/Amp (HD800 - Low Gain, K12 - Low Gain,...
This review is based in my experience of almost 6 months with them, running 24/96 Flacs > Foobar2K > Wasapi > Asus Realtek ALC1150 + 4580 Op-amp > HD668B I decided to reboot my interest in audio...
It is surprising that no one else has posted a review, maybe all are enjoying it too much to bother. I've been holding back from writing a review because it is important to live with a mobile...
*A Sample of the HD7 was provided by PreSounus for my unbiased review* https://www.presonus.com/products/HD7 Cloning. Not a sheep, but headphones. The PreSounus HD7 is a...
I bought these in Chicago O'Hare before I got into the Head-Fi hobby. I was looking more for a bluetooth headset solution but liked the way these sounded. After listening to Grados, Senns, and...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Chord Hugo - Page 110
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
What hifi gave chord hugo four stars, lost a star because of the rca gap being to small which has been sorted and they slated the on/off switch being difficult to get at, they also said if you totally discharge the batteries then connect the mains lead you have to wait 2 hours before you can use it again,I don't recall that happening to me when the batteries were flat, still a raving review for the sound quality.
mate when was the last time you took a review from What Hi-Fi seriously when it comes to portable-fi?... I could probably tell you which brands get 5-star rating before a new model even hits the market... I haven't read the piece so can't comment but I bet no mention of modifications was mentioned.
Am I right in thinking Hugo's volume bypass is just volume setting to the same output level as Chord Qute? Does that mean one could use higher volume level without negative effect?
Edited by SleepyOne - 4/10/14 at 11:47am
Your so right mate I think they well biased, wouldn't surprise me if the hifi brands pay them for good review's, they did mention about the mods in the review, to be honest they were impressed with the sound but they seem to get over excited with the naim gear more even though they did say the chord was better than the naim at similar price which got five stars, what a joke!
no surprises there then, I've never been a lover of Naim gear though acquaintances have said it has to be set-up properly to make it sing (wtf). I said to one mate that his system sounded like that 'industrial' bright sound of Cyrus, the look I got back was priceless, he quickly added things would improve when he got one of those hi-cap thingies (he now owns a Exposure system).
I doubt it. Bakoon HPA-21 > Liquid Fire.
BTW, look what this top end DAC (arguably one of, if not, the best DAC) out there charges for the clock upgrades:
140 femtosecond clock for 4995
70 femtosecond clock for 9995
Ouch! BTW, femtosecond is one quadrillionth of a second.
Msb Analog Dac has the 140 fs clock by default. I listened to it and yes it is extremely good :)
Have a similar dilemma as I am building out my head if setup. Have oppo bdp-95 that I was planning on selling but lazy. Could use oppo to play discs as well as get to synology and network music (btw decent media app on beta for android). Or I can invest in network player or usb convertor. Decisions decisions.
You know, I understand that some of the new generation CD transports (e.g. Rockna Wavedream NET) are actually network servers as well, so that you have inputs for internet, USB (e.g. flash drive), WiFi (?) etc. for loading in your digital audio files, as well as the capability to play CDs (+SACD?), and then your signal outputs are the standard S/PDIF (RCA, BNC, Toslink), AES/EBU, I2S, etc. Et voila! No USB output requirement. Sorta like having your cake and eating it, too.
Edited by jacal01 - 4/10/14 at 3:26pm
I have a few questions to calibrate my own context/discussions/knowledge.
- Have you listened to either amp?
- Did you do an A/B comparison?
- What tubes did you use in the Liquid Fire? That's pretty important.
- To frame your opinion, have you discussed with other people that have heard both amps, how the two amps compare?
- Have you discussed with other owners of just one of the amps how they feel about a given headphone's synergy?
- Do you own one or both amps in question?
- If any of the above is applicable, I'm truly interested in what headphones you used to conduct your testing? That would be monumentally important. Driver type: Dynamic? Planar? Balanced Armature? I'd like to know the resistance, power handling capacity, frequency response, impedance/spikes across the FR, and other non-trivial details about the headphones you used to do your comparison. This is vital information for me.
- We could get in to interconnects, power supplies, and sources quite easily, but I'll just leave it to the basics here for now!
Thank you sir.
Dam you! You are going to cost me more money.
Would a Burson Conductor feeding the HPA-21 be much better than just Burson Conductor in your opinion? (Not SL conductor but either PCM or Sabre versions)
Just curious, not a lot of comparisons to the HPA. No problem if you are unsure.
I'm thinking this as my purchase strategy.
1. Next Purchase = HPA8 (DAC/AMP) for desktop for now.
2. Possibly next one after HPA8 = Chord Hugo for portable AIO (I am really beginning to question if the Chord Hugo is really all that.......)
3. This after I audition it = Upgrade from HPA8 to Conductor (Signature Series)
4. Big IF on this one = Then maybe HPA-21 to add to the mix
Currently using -
Denon X1000 receiver on desktop
iPod Classic on the go.
Currently on order -
Fiio X5 (Perfect to connect to Chord Hugo, was considering Calyx M but it won't connect)
Edited by Shenook - 4/10/14 at 6:52pm
The HPA is a pretty specialized amp. It has the potential to sound good with a few headphones, but it is eschewed by many for not being a good "all-rounder." But it does quite a fancy job with a few pair of headphones.
So the most important factor here is, what headphone do you want to drive? That would be largest consideration here. That's also why I'm curious about jacal01's experiences with these amps.
Edit: I see you added in some equipment info. Awesome. Let me marinate on this a little bit, and give you my opinion. Keep in mind it's only my opinion, and there are many factors that come in to play with opinion : )
Edited by SoundFreaq - 4/10/14 at 6:41pm
- Chord Hugo
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Hello and HELP! 24 seconds ago
- › REVIEW : PONO Player (and comparison to Fiio X5) 49 seconds ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 1 minute ago
- › AIAIAI TMA-1 1 minute ago
- › NuForce Udac-2 + Usb isolator, will it work? 2 minutes ago
- › Looking For Some New Headphones $300-$500 3 minutes ago
- › Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 3 minutes ago
- › For 6AS7G tube rollers here ..... 4 minutes ago
- › cables are placebo 6 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by maikuirock
- › Superlux HD-668 B by ingenero
- › Sony PHA-3 Headphone Amp by cloud_c
- › PreSonus HD7 Professional Monitoring Headphones by BloodyPenguin
- › Phiaton PS 210 BTNC Bluetooth 3.0 Active Noise Cancelling Stereo... by audionut44
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by RedTwilight
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by AvidlyEclectic
- › Schiit Asgard 2 by GustavoL1
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by vaibhavp
- › LG Electronics TONE INFINIM Bluetooth Stereo Headset - Retail... by lwbanerjee
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)