Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Chord Hugo TT is announced. Last post on 1/1/16 at 11:30am in High-end Audio Forum
- Chord Hugo TT High End DAC Amp Impressions Thread Last post on Today at 1:11 am in High-end Audio Forum
- Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced Last post on 4/24/16 at 9:06pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Chord Hugo big brother : Chord QBD 76 HDSD Last post on 1/31/16 at 9:27pm in High-end Audio Forum
- NEW Chord Hugo USB DAC headphone amp for PCM & DSD audio, Portable and Desktop amplifier,... Last post on 4/19/14 at 8:43am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/4/15
- Chord Mojo FAQLast edited: 3/23/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)Last edited: 12/10/15
There is just so much craptastic dreck in the
This is my first review and it's going to be brief...Never in my life have I been so damn impressed with an audio product (I have a bunch) than I am with my Custom K10's!!! There is not 1 thing...
INTRODUCTION Hello again guys, I am Areek Nibras, a junior Head-fier and a recently graduated physician from Bangladesh, currently doing post-graduation training in Internal medicine. Today I will...
I picked up these for my wife. I thought that since she is more of an average listener (not too concerned with audio), the V-shaped sound might be acceptable or even preferred. I gave them a listen...
I got to listen to these for a couple weeks as part of the USA tour, with the requirement that I write a review and pay to ship them to the next participant. I am not affiliated with, and was not...
Chord Hugo - Page 110post #1636 of 133204/10/14 at 10:04am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #1637 of 133204/10/14 at 11:43amQuote:Originally Posted by Hifi Nutter
What hifi gave chord hugo four stars, lost a star because of the rca gap being to small which has been sorted and they slated the on/off switch being difficult to get at, they also said if you totally discharge the batteries then connect the mains lead you have to wait 2 hours before you can use it again,I don't recall that happening to me when the batteries were flat, still a raving review for the sound quality.
mate when was the last time you took a review from What Hi-Fi seriously when it comes to portable-fi?... I could probably tell you which brands get 5-star rating before a new model even hits the market... I haven't read the piece so can't comment but I bet no mention of modifications was mentioned.post #1638 of 133204/10/14 at 11:45am
Am I right in thinking Hugo's volume bypass is just volume setting to the same output level as Chord Qute? Does that mean one could use higher volume level without negative effect?
Edited by SleepyOne - 4/10/14 at 11:47ampost #1640 of 133204/10/14 at 2:31pmQuote:Originally Posted by Hifi Nutter
Your so right mate I think they well biased, wouldn't surprise me if the hifi brands pay them for good review's, they did mention about the mods in the review, to be honest they were impressed with the sound but they seem to get over excited with the naim gear more even though they did say the chord was better than the naim at similar price which got five stars, what a joke!
no surprises there then, I've never been a lover of Naim gear though acquaintances have said it has to be set-up properly to make it sing (wtf). I said to one mate that his system sounded like that 'industrial' bright sound of Cyrus, the look I got back was priceless, he quickly added things would improve when he got one of those hi-cap thingies (he now owns a Exposure system).post #1641 of 133204/10/14 at 2:59pmQuote:
I doubt it. Bakoon HPA-21 > Liquid Fire.post #1642 of 133204/10/14 at 3:18pmQuote:Originally Posted by Crashem
BTW, look what this top end DAC (arguably one of, if not, the best DAC) out there charges for the clock upgrades:
140 femtosecond clock for 4995
70 femtosecond clock for 9995
Ouch! BTW, femtosecond is one quadrillionth of a second.
Msb Analog Dac has the 140 fs clock by default. I listened to it and yes it is extremely good :)post #1643 of 133204/10/14 at 3:21pmQuote:Originally Posted by Crashem
Have a similar dilemma as I am building out my head if setup. Have oppo bdp-95 that I was planning on selling but lazy. Could use oppo to play discs as well as get to synology and network music (btw decent media app on beta for android). Or I can invest in network player or usb convertor. Decisions decisions.
You know, I understand that some of the new generation CD transports (e.g. Rockna Wavedream NET) are actually network servers as well, so that you have inputs for internet, USB (e.g. flash drive), WiFi (?) etc. for loading in your digital audio files, as well as the capability to play CDs (+SACD?), and then your signal outputs are the standard S/PDIF (RCA, BNC, Toslink), AES/EBU, I2S, etc. Et voila! No USB output requirement. Sorta like having your cake and eating it, too.
Edited by jacal01 - 4/10/14 at 3:26pmpost #1644 of 133204/10/14 at 5:59pmpost #1645 of 133204/10/14 at 6:11pmpost #1646 of 133204/10/14 at 6:15pm
I have a few questions to calibrate my own context/discussions/knowledge.
- Have you listened to either amp?
- Did you do an A/B comparison?
- What tubes did you use in the Liquid Fire? That's pretty important.
- To frame your opinion, have you discussed with other people that have heard both amps, how the two amps compare?
- Have you discussed with other owners of just one of the amps how they feel about a given headphone's synergy?
- Do you own one or both amps in question?
- If any of the above is applicable, I'm truly interested in what headphones you used to conduct your testing? That would be monumentally important. Driver type: Dynamic? Planar? Balanced Armature? I'd like to know the resistance, power handling capacity, frequency response, impedance/spikes across the FR, and other non-trivial details about the headphones you used to do your comparison. This is vital information for me.
- We could get in to interconnects, power supplies, and sources quite easily, but I'll just leave it to the basics here for now!
Thank you sir.post #1647 of 133204/10/14 at 6:19pm
Yes, absolutely.post #1648 of 133204/10/14 at 6:26pm
Dam you! You are going to cost me more money.
Would a Burson Conductor feeding the HPA-21 be much better than just Burson Conductor in your opinion? (Not SL conductor but either PCM or Sabre versions)
Just curious, not a lot of comparisons to the HPA. No problem if you are unsure.
I'm thinking this as my purchase strategy.
1. Next Purchase = HPA8 (DAC/AMP) for desktop for now.
2. Possibly next one after HPA8 = Chord Hugo for portable AIO (I am really beginning to question if the Chord Hugo is really all that.......)
3. This after I audition it = Upgrade from HPA8 to Conductor (Signature Series)
4. Big IF on this one = Then maybe HPA-21 to add to the mix
Currently using -
Denon X1000 receiver on desktop
iPod Classic on the go.
Currently on order -
Fiio X5 (Perfect to connect to Chord Hugo, was considering Calyx M but it won't connect)
Edited by Shenook - 4/10/14 at 6:52pmpost #1649 of 133204/10/14 at 6:35pm
The HPA is a pretty specialized amp. It has the potential to sound good with a few headphones, but it is eschewed by many for not being a good "all-rounder." But it does quite a fancy job with a few pair of headphones.
So the most important factor here is, what headphone do you want to drive? That would be largest consideration here. That's also why I'm curious about jacal01's experiences with these amps.
Edit: I see you added in some equipment info. Awesome. Let me marinate on this a little bit, and give you my opinion. Keep in mind it's only my opinion, and there are many factors that come in to play with opinion : )
Edited by SoundFreaq - 4/10/14 at 6:41pmpost #1650 of 133204/10/14 at 6:47pm
Absolutely, this whole site is opinions but part of this hobby is these interactions. I used to be an AVS stereo junkie. This hobby is much cheaper but still expensive.
I figured I'd look for an open set of headphones after these above purchases so was considering Audeze LCD-3 or whatever line is open type. But for now I'll assume this year I'm going to just stick with TH-900 and look at attaining some of the above devices after I do extensive research. Currently need a DAC/AMP so that's why the HPA8 is my best bet cause I can get a new one for $800 until I can step up to conductor or signature conductor I sent you in PM.
No rush for any answers. Appreciate the thoughts and inputs.
Oh also I was considering the Bakoon HPA-21 (which is Korean I think) and Bakoon 5210 MK3 (which is the HPA-21 Japanese model I believe) only reason I keep going to Japan made ones is I can get them cheaper since I have a relative that lives there. I know the HPA-21 is battery operated (uses 2) and the 5210MK3 is using regular power or something.
Would anyone here consider Chord Hugo > Stock Burson Conductor?
Edited by Shenook - 4/10/14 at 6:53pm
- Chord Hugo
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk & Monk Plus: a $5 earbud that taking... 8 seconds ago
- › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread 28 seconds ago
- › Light Harmonic Geek Wave 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Shozy Zero: $50 IEMs with real rosewood, taking on the $500 big boys! 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 8 minutes ago
- › How connect amp with pc: Toslink or USB DAC? 8 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 8 minutes ago
- › LAMPIZATOR THREAD COMMENTS REVIEWS TUNING 9 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 12 minutes ago
- › 1MORE EO323 Dual Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone... by leesure
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by Bighappy
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by areek
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM In-Ear by Yubacore
- › Meze 99 Classics by Defiant00
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by silvrr
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by Hisoundfi
- › Audeze EL-8 Open-Back by droido256
- › OPPO PM-3 by Sophonax
- › Sennheiser HD 558 by starbux61
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse