- 6,832 Posts. Joined 6/2007
- Location: Santa Monica, California
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW Chord Hugo USB DAC headphone amp for PCM & DSD audio, Portable and Desktop amplifier,... Last post on 4/19/14 at 8:43am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- NEW Chord Electronics Hugo USB DAC headphone amp for PSD and DSD Audio - Portable and Desktop,... Last post on 6/16/14 at 7:04am in Moon Audio Premier Sponsor Forum
- CHORD HUGO preview report Last post on 8/5/14 at 6:48pm in Sasaki
- Chord Electronics Hugo reference-grade DAC/headphone amp - coming Jan 2014 Last post on 12/9/13 at 1:43pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Chord Hugo to go (Portable DSD DAC/Amp) Last post on 1/5/14 at 3:50am in Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 7/30/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
Let's keep this short. There are better headphones out there without any cons. The Grado RS1i can get shouty at times or give a bit of weird bass. The comfort isn't great either although I changed...
First of all, I have bought these headphones exactly one week ago. I have upgraded to these from my Superlux 668b. I will do a review now, and update it after another couple of weeks worth...
I am from China and I'd like to say Chinese people are lucky enough to have the opportunity to reach most of device in the area of audio especially some brand only provided in China.So it made me...
The Theorem 720 is magical.. Using it is like stepping into a foreign land where everything is crisp, detailed, and so very vivid that you’ll never want to leave again for the boring, veiled,...
This is my first DAP. I bought it in August with pre-installed 2.1 firmware and I have to say I am positively surprised how great this player sounds. I honestly can not compare it with other DAPs...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Chord Hugo - Page 106
No Hugo-specific guides out there yet but here's something similar for QuteHD and QBD76 HDSD
Thank you for the links!!
I'm thinking about getting the Seagate wireless plus but wanted to know how I would be able to access the music on it exp. DSD files?
Do I install the Onkyo HF player? and if I do how can I access the Seagate drive via the Onkyo App?
You will need a different player.. something like PlugPlayer, as the Onkyo player don't support network playing.
I have heard that you need to use ALAC to play bit perfect. And if you want to play native DSD, you need to embed the DSD in a ALAC file.
Hugo will then use DoP and play DSD natively.
Are you sure hugo have enough power to drive the 600 ohm T1. without any headphone amp in the middle
Yes it can drive T1 fine, no problem there. It needs a bit more effort to push T1 (in the form of slightly higher volume) compares to HD800.
seeteeyou - Got Foobar, JRiver, HQplayer all working fine with DSD thanks!
Edited by SleepyOne - 4/8/14 at 9:39am
It drove them easily. Sounds great.
Has anyone thought about using the Dell Venue Pro 8 as a source for the Hugo?
It's not a bad price. Not sure how it would run with JRiver installed on it.
I might get one just to try out.
How do you guys feel about the amp in the Hugo?
I can't expound too much here, but lets just say it's my opinion that it has a great DAC that can be used standalone in a reference system, and is neatly transportable, but is feeding an internal amp that isn't punching my buttons. I feel I achieve far greater performance by using the Hugo as a DAC feeding almost any other amp. Just to show I'm not being negative for the sake of it, I'll go ahead and say that I think the Hugo feeding even the SR-71B smokes the Hugo's amp in quality and power. Hugo works ok as an all-in-one solution, as the DAC is ace-quality, but it's quite easy to step up the performance with any external amp. Which kills one of the main reasons I wanted it in the first place.
I did comprehensive testing last night with several amps and headphones, and trying different inputs on the Hugo with different bit rate material. Thus was my conclusion. Others have said the amp is very good, for a portable amp. But I digress. Perchance my Hugo amp isn't operating correctly. Possible this first production run from Chord has had some QC issues, noting the problems seen in this thread. This is a normal thing to a certain extent. Nothing against Chord. It's a very technical product. There's no chance you can release a perfect product the first round. Not even Apple can pull that off.
No, it won't be a problem at all. The Hugo has very low output impedance (.075), and can drive anything. It would need to be greater than 1ohm for there to be potential problems. So you're very safely in the golden zone with the K3003.
Edited by SoundFreaq - 4/8/14 at 11:43am
Yeah currently using my AKG with the Hugo and it sounds fine.
- Chord Hugo
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014:... 40 seconds ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 49 seconds ago
- › ECP Audio - DSHA-1, L-2, Black Diamond 1 minute ago
- › Q701 Right Driver Rattling 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1, the first high-res DAP for the young ! 2 minutes ago
- › SF Bay Area little big MEET (it's happening!) 3 minutes ago
- › New Audeze LCD3 3 minutes ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 4 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Grado RS1i Reference Series Headphones by Textfeud
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by donniefalcone
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by lizhenghong728
- › Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC Headphone Amplifier by cripple1
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by marhol
- › ASUS Vulcan ANC Circumaural Pro Gaming Headset by robthebiggerman
- › AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones by jerryg
- › ALO Audio The Pan Am by JoeDoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Zelda
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kunlun
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)