New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chord Hugo - Page 101

post #1501 of 8659
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post

For my HUGO, I found another source "less exotic" than the Panasonic 7" tablet: SURFACE PRO 2  + JRiver  (w. 512 Gb internal memory ! )  

see here a thread about using a Surface PRO as music server 

what do you think ? 

I also think surface pro 2 maybe a good option and it should have enough memory for jriver + dsd
post #1502 of 8659
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post
 

For my HUGO, I found another source "less exotic" than the Panasonic 7" tablet: SURFACE PRO 2  + JRiver  (w. 512 Gb internal memory ! )  

 

see here a thread about using a Surface PRO as music server 

 

what do you think ? 

I thought about that option as well, but I went for the iPad Mini Retina 128GB instead, and a Seagate Wireless Plus (1TB).

I found the Surface Pro 2 a bit bulky (and heavy), and the iPad Mini a bit more sleek. So I traded off storage for "portability".

 

Will be using this bag for portability with the iPad Mini, Hugo, and Noble CIEMs:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-male-kangaroo-bag-cow-leather-mens-briefcase-/291115261910

(should be enough space for chargers and cables too.. but I haven't got the Hugo or CIEMs yet..)

 

Hugo will be arriving next week! I am so looking forward to it! :D

post #1503 of 8659
Quote:
Originally Posted by holeout View Post

Anxiously waiting here as well, hope it will be a game changer for reference dacs as the Hugo is for portables with aesthetics and ergonomics to match:)

Hi
Normally music server player doesn't have very good DAC
Thank you for sharing about your Hugo in your set up
post #1504 of 8659
Quote:
Originally Posted by nOtEcH View Post

I thought about that option as well, but I went for the iPad Mini Retina 128GB instead, and a Seagate Wireless Plus (1TB).
I found the Surface Pro 2 a bit bulky (and heavy), and the iPad Mini a bit more sleek. So I traded off storage for "portability".

Will be using this bag for portability with the iPad Mini, Hugo, and Noble CIEMs:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-male-kangaroo-bag-cow-leather-mens-briefcase-/291115261910
(should be enough space for chargers and cables too.. but I haven't got the Hugo or CIEMs yet..)

Hugo will be arriving next week! I am so looking forward to it! biggrin.gif

I believe that the IPad is Indeed à very good Solution if you mostly use Redbook 16bits files. Is it your case ?

With 24/96, 24/192 & ...DSD files, thing start to be complicated ! No ?
post #1505 of 8659

Got it! Here are pics of the revised chassis RCA holes size:

 

 

 

My Xhadow RCA plug fits no problem at all :)


Edited by SleepyOne - 4/4/14 at 5:36am
post #1506 of 8659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hifi Nutter View Post



I've got the vertere cable from custom cable,70 quid for 0.2 metre but I've still got to use the Apple lightning cable as well which is the weak link

 



Was that the silver-plated copper one (D-Fi V2)? Think I fancy that too, but it's £100 on their website. Am I missing something?
Thanks!

By the way, I may have missed someone else posting this elsewhere, but I noticed from Custom Cable's website that Audioquest are bringing out a Carbon Lightning to USB A cable soon. No short options by the look of it though....
post #1507 of 8659
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyl59 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hifi Nutter View Post



I've got the vertere cable from custom cable,70 quid for 0.2 metre but I've still got to use the Apple lightning cable as well which is the weak link

 



Was that the silver-plated copper one (D-Fi V2)? Think I fancy that too, but it's £100 on their website. Am I missing something?
Thanks!

By the way, I may have missed someone else posting this elsewhere, but I noticed from Custom Cable's website that Audioquest are bringing out a Carbon Lightning to USB A cable soon. No short options by the look of it though....

 

There was a price increase like everything in this world unfortunately. :'-(

 

The Vertere doesn't just contain silver plated copper conductors but these cables work very well with the Hugo as they arrive in short lengths with micro USB. We are awaiting news on the Lightning to USB A from Audioquest, apparently it is a month or so away yet.


Edited by PhilW - 4/4/14 at 5:53am
post #1508 of 8659
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyl59 View Post
 
Am I missing something?

 

you might need some RCA End-Caps for when your on your travels... a very well known Cable company advised me to get my end-caps made by using oxygen free vinyl as it would improve the sound of a home hi-fi system... after much research and development in my lab (kitchen actually) , I am happy to announce a potentially game changing & environmentally friendly end-cap to be made in strict limited quantities the 'air-free, carbon friendly end-cap' uniquely coloured in emerald-green, I'm naming it the 'Go-Green'

 

Go-Green end-caps - the ultimate carbon friendly upgrade for your Hugo.


Edited by OK-Guy - 4/4/14 at 6:05am
post #1509 of 8659
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilW View Post

 

There was a price increase like everything in this world unfortunately. :'-(

 

The Vertere doesn't just contain silver plated copper conductors but these cables work very well with the Hugo as they arrive in short lengths with micro USB. We are awaiting news on the Lightning to USB A from Audioquest, apparently it is a month or so away yet.

 


Thanks Phil,
Oh well, it was worth a question :-). Think I'll go for one of these. Will put in my order this afternoon!
Now if they were going to do a short Lightning to Micro USB... There must be quite a few who would be interested in that.
post #1510 of 8659
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyl59 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilW View Post
 

 

There was a price increase like everything in this world unfortunately. :'-(

 

The Vertere doesn't just contain silver plated copper conductors but these cables work very well with the Hugo as they arrive in short lengths with micro USB. We are awaiting news on the Lightning to USB A from Audioquest, apparently it is a month or so away yet.

 


Thanks Phil,
Oh well, it was worth a question :-). Think I'll go for one of these. Will put in my order this afternoon!
Now if they were going to do a short Lightning to Micro USB... There must be quite a few who would be interested in that.

 

" short Lightning to Micro USB" :  YESSSSSSS

 

but... in the mean time, can we use this + a very SHORT  "Micro USB to Micro USB" ?  will it work ? 

 


Edited by bmichels - 4/4/14 at 6:37am
post #1511 of 8659
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post


I believe that the IPad is Indeed à very good Solution if you mostly use Redbook 16bits files. Is it your case ?

With 24/96, 24/192 & ...DSD files, thing start to be complicated ! No ?

You are correct. Most will be 16/44.1 on the iPad Mini, and a lot of them. And I have some high resoulution files that I will upload too, or I can use on the portable NAS.

 

It is not complicated with higher resoultion files. And it is not that complicated with DSD on the iPad either.. I guess I will try DoP.. DSD embedded in ALAC files.. but space could be a problem further on if just using the iPad.. but if I have space (on the go) for the Seagate I can add "quite a bit" more.

post #1512 of 8659
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post
 

 

" short Lightning to Micro USB" :  YESSSSSSS

 

but... in the mean time, can we use this + a very SHORT  "Micro USB to Micro USB" ?  will it work ? 

 

 

Yes this is what many people are doing 0.25m Micro to Micro.

post #1513 of 8659
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilW View Post
 

 

Yes this is what many people are doing 0.25m Micro to Micro.

 

I guess we could cut a "high quality audiophile" micro USB cable to the desired length, and weld the wires directly inside the adapter on the Micro-USB contacts ?  we could even have the cable exiting at 90° down from the adaptor !  

 

painfull but doable...

 


Edited by bmichels - 4/4/14 at 7:05am
post #1514 of 8659
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post
 

BOUGHT IT (finaly).  :D   After many hesitations, I decided NOT to wait for the Calyx-M first reviews and to jump on the HUGO.

 

Now I need to decide for the source :  A Windows 8.1 Tablet + J-River ?  iPAD + Wifi-HD ?  Android?????      (in the mean time I will use my 'old' AK100).

 

I should get it (WITH the NEW casing) in 10 days...

 

Why not all of the above?  One of the compelling things about the Hugo is the combination of portability and it's ability to take input from almost anything.  I generally wouldn't using BlueTooth simply because of the lower SQ, but otherwise use whatever is easiest for you in the situation and enjoy the music.  Once you have gotten used to it it would make sense to do some A/B testing to see if there if there is variance between input modes, but for now, just enjoy.

 

--mark

post #1515 of 8659

Well, Lightning to USB A should mean that's only good for MFi-certified hardware and aren't they simply no good for Hugo? The only way to go should be CCK for Hugo and I don't see how CCK could be part of the following pictures

 

533ec9fd0d4dd.jpg

 

533eca3e24ec0.png 

Basically they're only useful for iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch > coaxial output of CLAS > coaxial input of Hugo (i.e. triple stack) right?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum