HUGO + Roxane anyone ?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Chord Hugo TT is announced. Last post on 1/1/16 at 11:30am in High-end Audio Forum
- 👍DAP-off: Astell&Kern AK240, AK380, HiFiMAN HM-901, Sony ZX-1, ZX-2, FiiO X5, X5II, Chord... Last post on 12/5/16 at 1:51am in Portable Source Gear
- Chord Hugo TT High End DAC Amp Impressions Thread Last post on Yesterday at 8:58 am in High-end Audio Forum
- Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced Last post on Yesterday at 8:35 am in Dedicated Source Components
- Chord Hugo big brother : Chord QBD 76 HDSD Last post on 1/31/16 at 9:27pm in High-end Audio Forum
Chord Mojo FAQ
Last edited: 10/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)Last edited: 11/28/16
INTRODUCTION: I would like to thank @Jack Vang of Empire Ears, for the discount on my purchase of the Zeus-XIV-ADEL Custom IEM and for giving me the opportunity to review the IEM. I would also...
This is by far the closest I have come to writing a 5 star review. Of course to get that, I would have to find the holy grail of headphones for me. I had tried the HD558, HD598, HD650, and...
Used Schiit Modi & Magni with car sim racing game with Sennheiser HD 598 headphones. Unfortunately, Modi died after 2+ years. Thought warranty was 5 years but found out the hard way it's only 2...
These are *fantastic* for the price. Compared side by side to some old Sennheiser MX500s, that cost at least 4x as much, the Monk+ absolutely wipes the floor - they are hugely superior. Warm...
Acknowledgment Thanks, @Andykong at Cayin, and @Takeanidea for organizing the UK wing of the worldwide extravaganza of i5 tour. It is always an honour to work with great companies and dear...
Chord Hugo - Page 95post #1411 of 145604/1/14 at 2:31pm
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #1412 of 145604/1/14 at 2:49pmpost #1413 of 145604/1/14 at 2:59pmpost #1414 of 145604/1/14 at 3:09pmQuote:Originally Posted by verber
I haven't done a back to back comparison of the hugo to the vega, but I have listened to both at different times and compared both to a Lavry DA11. My memory is that the Vega has more detail but it was sliding into sounding a bit too analytical with the HD800. The Hugo sounded a bit more natural than the Vega, but think had a bit less detail. Pick your poison. Neither seemed like an across the board upgrade to my DA11 (though there were elements of each I liked better than the DA11).
To my ears, the Hugo is competitive against all of the <$1200 DACs I have heard. There are likely DACs in the >$1200 which will be better than the Hugo, but they aren't portable, or from another perspective, something like a used DA10 can be found used for $500-600 which would be in the same SQ league as the Hugo saving lots of money which could go to other things. Of course a DA10 doesn't do anything for your portable use.
To my ears, the Hugo is the best sounding portable DAC/headphone amp on the market today, but it's amplifier can't stand up against any of the higher quality desktop headphone amps, and you will likely find desktop DACs which are superior to the Hugo at it's price.
I think most people already knew that the Hugo's amp, while excellent, was not quite at the level of higher quality desktop headamps. Interesting though that you also find its DAC section no better than a Lavry DA10. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.post #1415 of 145604/1/14 at 3:16pmQuote:Originally Posted by Kazenagi
Well my initial thouhts of the Hugo. The volume control wheel and on/off switch should definitely be redesigned in the future in my opinion.. the wheel is tight to turn but loosens at the ends of the volume level, that can be seen as a good or a bad thing but the positioning of it is in a bad location if you plan to stack it or lots of portable use, not bad if it's at a desk though.
Lots of electrical interference with ZX1 bluetooth > Hugo
3.5mm jacks are deeply recessed so no right angle jack will fit, had to use a 3.5mm to 6.5 adapter with my K10s.
Initial impressions so far through toslink and my computer:
Soundstage is very spacious and airy, it makes the voacls sound so smooth and amazing. The detail and separation is good. Bass has great control and impact, mids are sweat and detailed. The decay is really smooth, has a solid prescence but it isn't too slow or fast and just puts a smile on your face. I just can't get over how emotional the vocals are.
Really hard to decide whether it is worth it or not, keeps pulling me back.
The K10's won't fit the Hugo?!
My Hugo arrives next week, and I am about to order the K10's.. is the right angle plug standard, or have you asked Noble for it?
But the sound is good I understand from what you write? Worth it.. that always depends.. but do know anything better?post #1416 of 145604/1/14 at 3:34pmQuote:
I am not sure I would call the amplifier excellent... I would call it pretty good for a portable amplifier. I didn't do an A/B, nor could I have done a true A/B test, but I think the amplifier in the Headamp Pico Power drove the HD800 better than the amplifier integrated into the Hugo.
As to the DAC, I should maybe clarify myself. Both the DA11 and the Hugo have a good DAC. I would put them in the same league. If you put ten people in a room and asked them to pick their favorite, I am not sure what the ratio would be. It would not surprise me if more than 50% preferred the Hugo, but I won't bet on it. I didn't spend enough time with the Hugo to state definitively which I would prefer. I lean toward the DA11, but that is what I have been listen to (or earlier the DA10) for 5+ years so it's like an old friend but if I spent multiple days with the Hugo I could imagine preferring it. Given it's cost (and reviews) I had hoped the Hugo would significantly better sounding that the DA11. I didn't find this, hough there are los of great features which could easily justify the purchase if I really needed those features.
--Markpost #1417 of 145604/1/14 at 3:36pmQuote:Bit of a sweeping statement there....post #1418 of 145604/1/14 at 3:38pmpost #1419 of 145604/1/14 at 4:12pmQuote:
Yuppost #1420 of 145604/1/14 at 7:09pmpost #1423 of 145604/2/14 at 3:43ampost #1424 of 145604/2/14 at 6:55am
Noble will again be partnering with Chord at the forthcoming Axpona Hi-Fi show in Chicago (25th-27th April)... we will have the sensational Hugo on demonstration... more updates nearer the event.
I will also be heralding news of future events at Munich (Germany) & Newport Beach (USA) soon.
Edited by OK-Guy - 4/2/14 at 7:12ampost #1425 of 145604/2/14 at 7:42am
- Chord Hugo
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › High End Bluetooth Headphones 48 seconds ago
- › Why the Beats Hate? 1 minute ago
- › Caffeine addicts anonymous 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 2 minutes ago
- › [Review] Nuforce HA-200 - affordable class-A monoblocks 3 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 5 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 5 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 6 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) 8 minutes ago
- › Empire Ears Zeus by EagleWings
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by snapacap
- › Schiit Modi by Tim Updegrove
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by spronkey
- › Cayin i5 by glassmonkey
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by 00lunar
- › 64 Audio U12 Universal In-Ear Monitor by cleg
- › qdc Balanced armature type (BA type) 3SH （QDC-4024） by prismstorm
- › Sangdo Headset Mic for Sony MH EX300AP L36H L36I C6603 LT26II LT28H... by Griffith
- › Denon AH-D600 by theminstrel
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear