- 383 Posts. Joined 2/2014
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Chord Hugo TT is announced. Last post on 4/22/15 at 4:20pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced Last post on 5/27/15 at 9:12pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Chord Hugo big brother : Chord QBD 76 HDSD Last post on 5/31/15 at 3:14am in High-end Audio Forum
- NEW Chord Hugo USB DAC headphone amp for PCM & DSD audio, Portable and Desktop amplifier,... Last post on 4/19/14 at 8:43am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- NEW Chord Electronics Hugo USB DAC headphone amp for PSD and DSD Audio - Portable and Desktop,... Last post on 6/16/14 at 7:04am in Moon Audio Premier Sponsor Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 1/22/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
Before I begin my review, I would like to Thank Meelectronics for providing me with a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. It seems that everywhere you look you see another new...
The Philps Fidelio X2 was purchased by me and I’m not in any way affiliated with Philips. Introduction: The Philips Fidelio X2 is Philips top of the line full size open headphones. I picked up...
Still burning-in, but I can already say they are by far the best sounding IEM's I've ever heard. Fantastically clear/clean through the mids and treble - tremendous detail resolution without things...
$250 (got mine 10% off from a promo code on theheadphonelist.com but it was only valid for 2014) - 2 Balanced armature Drivers - 1 Bass Driver - 1 High Frequency Driver - 1 sound bore -...
Intro There are very few headphones which have survived three decades and still remain as the main workhorse for many sound professionals around the world. The Sony MDR-7506 started out as...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Chord Hugo - Page 91
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
thanks bro will wait for it, plz also the on of switch and spdif hole
I was wondering if anyone had A/B'd the Hugo vs the Auralic Vega?
I am in the market for a new Dac for my home system but would love it to also have the portability and headphone amp as a bonus to take on the road. It's also much cheaper =)
But sound is the number one thing to me, I can audition the Vega but don't have access to a hugo.
Any help would be most welcome!
I haven't done a back to back comparison of the hugo to the vega, but I have listened to both at different times and compared both to a Lavry DA11. My memory is that the Vega has more detail but it was sliding into sounding a bit too analytical with the HD800. The Hugo sounded a bit more natural than the Vega, but think had a bit less detail. Pick your poison. Neither seemed like an across the board upgrade to my DA11 (though there were elements of each I liked better than the DA11).
To my ears, the Hugo is competitive against all of the <$1200 DACs I have heard. There are likely DACs in the >$1200 which will be better than the Hugo, but they aren't portable, or from another perspective, something like a used DA10 can be found used for $500-600 which would be in the same SQ league as the Hugo saving lots of money which could go to other things. Of course a DA10 doesn't do anything for your portable use.
To my ears, the Hugo is the best sounding portable DAC/headphone amp on the market today, but it's amplifier can't stand up against any of the higher quality desktop headphone amps, and you will likely find desktop DACs which are superior to the Hugo at it's price.
When I went out searching for a Dac/amp to power my lcd-xc from my ak240 I was looking for power, clarity, clear separation and the most neutral sound. When my local dealer suggested I test out the Hugo I told him he was mad about the price for a portable and refused to demo it. Nearly bought the ALO rx mk3-b+ which was excellent but decided to read up abit on the Hugo. All the comments on this thread made me grumpily head back for a listen. My jaw literally dropped on the first track that I thought I was familiar to death. The Hugo imparted a magical emotion to the vocals that made it come alive and imparted life to the instruments as well. 1hr later I felt the Hugo was a magic box rather than a Dac/amp and the price is a small price to pay for magic that glows in a little small portable box.
Now the Hugo and my xcs are like 2 long lost lovers that sing magically together every night when they meet.
So jayboy76, you feed the HUGO with your AK240 ?
- Is it true that then you can't anymore play native DSD from the AK240 ? (I understand that the DSD cannot be streamed-out through Optical). So, what happen if you play a DSD file AK240>HUGO>LCD XC ? Is it converted to PCM or does it just don't play ?
- Is there a real setp-up in SQ between AK240>LCD XC v/s AK240>HUGO>LCD XC ? How will you describe the difference ? is it only a matter of available power ?
thanks for your advices ...
AHHH... this new chassis availability is really not clear ! some dealers tells me that they have it now, while others just told me that it will be in available from CHORS within 4 weeks !!! how can we be sure it is the new chassis ? Does the new ones have a different part # or a different serial N° serie ?
Thanks Mark for the feedback.
I face a difficult decision =) My home system could use a boost in detail which was why I was considering the vega over the metrum hex.
But the Hugo sparked my interest also due to it being able to be used as a portable solution also.
Thanks again for the feedback
I got the HUGO. To connect the iPhone, a lightning USB micro B cable would come handy. I could not find such a cable, but it may exist.
Anybody knows where I could purchase such a cable?
Has someone tested : Samsung Note 3 + Chord HUGO ? any pics ?
Today, with Android 4.4, do we still need UAPP to stream 24/96 bits out to an external DAC ? (I understood that Android 4.4 bring some flexibility for USB Audio)
There is no change for spdif and on off switch.
- Chord Hugo
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Music Game IX 32 seconds ago
- › i have a great integrated amp, why do i need a headphone amp? 38 seconds ago
- › O2 AMP + ODAC 41 seconds ago
- › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) 51 seconds ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 1 minute ago
- › Official 2015 SF Head-Fi Meet, July 18, 2015, Doubletree San... 2 minutes ago
- › Future Sonics Spectrum Series: G10 3 minutes ago
- › European Headphone Temporary Trading Club (Wanna try cans for... 3 minutes ago
- › MEElectronics Air-Fi® Matrix2 AF62 Stereo Bluetooth®... by twister6
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by peter123
- › Sennheiser IE800 by Lan647
- › Perfect Seal SportBud Silver by DreamKing
- › Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone by RudeWolf
- › Grado Labs SR80e by Pokemonn
- › Aune B1 by money4me247
- › Hippo Biscuit by BruceBanner
- › MartinLogan Mikros 90 Reference On-Ear Headphones by remwang
- › SoundMAGIC E50 / E50S by mark2410
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2