or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › Philips Golden Ears challenge
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Philips Golden Ears challenge - Page 22

post #316 of 331
Fun and educational. I was surprised how little difference bit rate makes and I'm pretty convinced that anything above 320 is going to be insignificant for me, even with really challenging music.

Equipment was Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 through a Teac HA-50P (yes, you can do it with moderately priced gear)


Edited by will f - 12/29/15 at 5:42pm
post #317 of 331

Got my "golden ears" awhile ago. Was fun except the final frequency cut/boost test which was rather annoying and more about memorization really.

post #318 of 331

I just found this challenge last night and completed golden ears with my ath-im50 & a tablet :D it was pretty fun

post #319 of 331

So I know this is an old thread, but it appears that golden ears has just been shut down by Philips. I spoke with Philips support chat person and confirmed, although they did not know a reason for shutting it down:

 

ME: did you guys kill golden ears?


Salvador: Let me look into that Oleg, okay?


ME: thanks!


Salvador: It is not available anymore Oleg.


ME: that's a shame


Salvador: I do not have any information on why was that decision made


ME: is there anyone to contact whom I can discuss what a shame this is? :)


Salvador: At the bottom you will see a phone number which will provide you the right department.


ME: at the bottom of what, sorry?


Salvador: Sorry Oleg, forgot to press enter to provide you the link


Salvador: http://www.usa.philips.com/c-w/support-home/support-contact-page.html

post #320 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by olbc View Post
 

So I know this is an old thread, but it appears that golden ears has just been shut down by Philips. I spoke with Philips support chat person and confirmed, although they did not know a reason for shutting it down:

 

ME: did you guys kill golden ears?


Salvador: Let me look into that Oleg, okay?


ME: thanks!


Salvador: It is not available anymore Oleg.


ME: that's a shame


Salvador: I do not have any information on why was that decision made


ME: is there anyone to contact whom I can discuss what a shame this is? :)


Salvador: At the bottom you will see a phone number which will provide you the right department.


ME: at the bottom of what, sorry?


Salvador: Sorry Oleg, forgot to press enter to provide you the link


Salvador: http://www.usa.philips.com/c-w/support-home/support-contact-page.html

Sad news, it was a great tool for visualizing the changes in audio. You can still DL the harman trained listener one, but it's a old and hobbled together program. It ultimately does a better job IMO but it's not as pretty/easy to pick up for beginners as the GE site.

post #321 of 331

This really is a shame.  Hopefully they will release the program and not delete it and put it to waste.  Perhaps if Head-fi and others petition them we can get them to put it back up or to release the code.

post #322 of 331

Oh? Do you have a link?! I'd love to check it out!

 

Also, are there any other options or alternatives for such product?

post #323 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by olbc View Post
 

Oh? Do you have a link?! I'd love to check it out!

 

Also, are there any other options or alternatives for such product?

 

http://harmanhowtolisten.blogspot.de/

post #324 of 331

Wow, this really saddens me right now, since I just heard about this TODAY and now of course would give my right arm to try the challenge!

 

:triportsad:

 

Hopefully Philips is going to think this over.... 

post #325 of 331

It's unlikely that they will think this over. I was informed that everyone who was involved in this project moved when Philips sold their subsidiary to Gibson.

post #326 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by olbc View Post
 

It's unlikely that they will think this over. I was informed that everyone who was involved in this project moved when Philips sold their subsidiary to Gibson.

 

Oh, wow, I didn't know about that.

 

Too bad they didn't leave the files on their servers or at least offer the website files for download.

post #327 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiChris View Post
 

 

Oh, wow, I didn't know about that.

 

Too bad they didn't leave the files on their servers or at least offer the website files for download.

Yeah, opensourcing this would have been a community service...

post #328 of 331

Any news on the challenge coming back? I really wanted to try it

post #329 of 331

Sadly, I missed it. But I'm wondering if Youtube would have something comparable.

But then again, that site might have inherent audio limitations, correct?

post #330 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by KipNix View Post
 

Sadly, I missed it. But I'm wondering if Youtube would have something comparable.

But then again, that site might have inherent audio limitations, correct?

Harman how to listen is the only software that will have what you are looking for. It was linked previously in this thread.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Science
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › Philips Golden Ears challenge