Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › In your opinion,how much bass is too much bass?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

In your opinion,how much bass is too much bass?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
For me there's no such thing..as long as it's not sloppy or distorted.
post #2 of 17

If you have more bass than the system the track was mixed/mastered on then you have too much bass.

post #3 of 17

when your balls start to knock into one another

 

or

 

86dB@20Hz four hours a day

post #4 of 17

Depends on the genre.

 

I'm a bass-head and I listen to a LOT of trap music (hip hop trap, not the weird electronica offshoot), so for me as long as I can still hear the rest of the track and the vocals I say crank it up. But when it's time for subtler music, having a cello or low woodwind blow out the rest of the instruments is terrible.

post #5 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenius View Post

when your balls start to knock into one another


or

86dB@20Hz four hours a day
[/quote








LOL
post #6 of 17
Thread Starter 
I don't know what happened there ^
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by willitblend View Post

For me there's no such thing..as long as it's not sloppy or distorted.


If it's boosted too far, even if not distorting nor sloppy because the amp and speaker/headphone together have compatible power needs and output (ie, "synergy," before people started using the term for colored gear cancelling each other out), it can still have one more problem: the system might stage the bass drum in front of the band. In reality, the bass drum is by the foot of the drummer, not the vocalist's. The bass guitar can also become overwhelming/distracting.


Edited by ProtegeManiac - 1/28/14 at 9:53am
post #8 of 17
Oh, so you must be that jerk in the Honda Civic sitting next to me at the stop light that has more invested in the trunk of his car than he does in his education... tongue.gif
post #9 of 17
Thread Starter 
Yes that's Definitley me alright smily_headphones1.gif
post #10 of 17
Thread Starter 
Except I'm more of a Subaru guy wink.gif



My dream car..
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraken2109 View Post
 

If you have more bass than the system the track was mixed/mastered on then you have too much bass.

Assumes it was mixed/mastered perfectly (and every person doing the mixing and mastering has the exact same idea as perfect as you). For me with my settings, some songs have too much bass and others don't have enough. Personally I like a good amount of bass, just not to the point where it overpowers everything else.

post #12 of 17

When I can no longer hear the mids in all their glory, I'd definitely consider that too much bass.

post #13 of 17

I used to be more of a bass head but now (since I've started listening to a lot of jazz and classical) I like just enough bass to hear all the instruments and give them flavor.  So a cello is deep but doesn't overwhelm and maybe another instrument gets some presence.  Sort of like hitting the "fat" button on a tube amp.  

post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by adisib View Post
 

Assumes it was mixed/mastered perfectly (and every person doing the mixing and mastering has the exact same idea as perfect as you). For me with my settings, some songs have too much bass and others don't have enough. Personally I like a good amount of bass, just not to the point where it overpowers everything else.

At least you'll be closer, and then have to EQ less if you disagree.

post #15 of 17
Thread Starter 
I agree with you all,if it's overpowering the mids or highs it ruins the music. But if it's not..that's a different story.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › In your opinion,how much bass is too much bass?