Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Static electricity and frying a CMOY BB OP amp.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Static electricity and frying a CMOY BB OP amp.

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 

Bought my son his first headphone amp for Xmas. Found a CMOY BB. He loved it but one day noticed only one channel working. The only thing he could remember happening was once he walked up to his computer and got a little shock when he touched the metal Altoids can as he went to turn it on. Could something like static electricity blow out the OP amp? And if so is there a way to prevent this from happening in the future? TIA


Edited by shockdoc - 1/26/14 at 9:21pm
post #2 of 5
Thread Starter 

bump

post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockdoc View Post
 

Bought my son his first headphone amp for Xmas. Found a CMOY BB. He loved it but one day noticed only one channel working. The only thing he could remember happening was once he walked up to his computer and got a little shock when he touched the metal Altoids can as he went to turn it on. Could something like static electricity blow out the OP amp? And if so is there a way to prevent this from happening in the future? TIA

 

A bit of static should not damage the opamp. One channel working indicates a faulty input cable or bad connection at the 3.5mm jack(s). Try a different cord, and make sure both cables are plugged in securely.

 

Call or email us if you need more help.

Reply
post #4 of 5
Thread Starter 

OMG it just happened again. Either there is some kind of short somewhere or I have some major killer static electricity in my house. My son is really bummed. I'm about to call it on a CMOY and get him a FiiO or something. :confused_face(1):

post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockdoc View Post
 

OMG it just happened again. Either there is some kind of short somewhere or I have some major killer static electricity in my house. My son is really bummed. I'm about to call it on a CMOY and get him a FiiO or something. :confused_face(1):

 

Have you contacted us for help? This really suggests a bad cable and not an amp problem (same thing could occur with any brand/model). All JDS products are covered by a 2 year warranty if you need help...

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Static electricity and frying a CMOY BB OP amp.