The upgrade bug bit me over Christmas. I preordered a USB DAC with balanced outputs. My existing headphones won't either support that or do it justice.
So, my requirements:
- Balanced, or easy to re-cable for balanced.
- Circumaural configuration
- Detachable cable (this ties into re-cabling)
- All metal structural components (therein lies a story for another time)
- All components replaceable (Another story for another time)
- Comfortable fit (I know this is subjective, but some headphones have a bad reputation with regards to comfort)
- Factory balanced (no DIY re-cabling)
- Closed back
- Possible to audition in the UK
My listening preferences in order of use:
While I am willing to mod headphones (Cabling, damping, driver mods, etc). I'm handy with a soldering iron, I can source my own parts, and I'll have access to a 3D printer shortly. While I would rather not have to mod my headphones, I'm totally capable of it, if it really would be better value.
I wouldn't spend more than $700. That's not my actual budget; but I'm interested in suggestions up to that level. A quality DAC deserves quality headphones.
I've owned a pair of Shure SRH750DJ and, while I like the sound quality, I don't like the fit or construction.
Edited by Annirak - 1/24/14 at 8:35am