or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH1540 Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SRH1540 Review - Page 35

post #511 of 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowalski74 View Post

Maybe it has been commented but ¿How the 1540 compares to the TH900 or the Denons (DX000)? 
Sorry I'm on my phone right now or else I would have combined this post with the above one. The TH900s are in a different class altogether from the 1540s in imaging and detail. The 1540s sound a touch more neutral to me though. I hope this helps.
post #512 of 1583

Has anyone heard more than one of these? Maybe they're inconsistent across individual units. I've had 3 of these now - the first two were no good (l/r imbalance in the high mids), but when I got the 3rd pair I heard what I was after. The mids and highs were well-balanced left-to-right and the sound (to me) was spectacular. That is, until I put on some rock tracks... and the low bass octaves were off center! Bass guitars were shifted to the left, and kick drums sound sounded like they were aimed to the side.

 

I tried every variation I could think of - reversing the phones on my head, reversing the l/r plugs, many different songs on different sources, switching the earpads - there was definitely an imbalance between the two earcups. But - I like these so much, I'm probably going to try a fourth pair.

 

I guess I figured a $500 hp would have a lower tolerance for mismatched drivers. I feel like I'm listening more to the headphones, and less to my music.

post #513 of 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjamn View Post

Has anyone heard more than one of these? Maybe they're inconsistent across individual units. I've had 3 of these now - the first two were no good (l/r imbalance in the high mids), but when I got the 3rd pair I heard what I was after. The mids and highs were well-balanced left-to-right and the sound (to me) was spectacular. That is, until I put on some rock tracks... and the low bass octaves were off center! Bass guitars were shifted to the left, and kick drums sound sounded like they were aimed to the side.

I tried every variation I could think of - reversing the phones on my head, reversing the l/r plugs, many different songs on different sources, switching the earpads - there was definitely an imbalance between the two earcups. But - I like these so much, I'm probably going to try a fourth pair.

I guess I figured a $500 hp would have a lower tolerance for mismatched drivers. I feel like I'm listening more to the headphones, and less to my music.
Are you using good quality tracks? I haven't noticed any problems with mine. What amp and DAC are you using?
post #514 of 1583
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjamn View Post
 

Has anyone heard more than one of these? Maybe they're inconsistent across individual units. I've had 3 of these now - the first two were no good (l/r imbalance in the high mids), but when I got the 3rd pair I heard what I was after. The mids and highs were well-balanced left-to-right and the sound (to me) was spectacular. That is, until I put on some rock tracks... and the low bass octaves were off center! Bass guitars were shifted to the left, and kick drums sound sounded like they were aimed to the side.

 

I tried every variation I could think of - reversing the phones on my head, reversing the l/r plugs, many different songs on different sources, switching the earpads - there was definitely an imbalance between the two earcups. But - I like these so much, I'm probably going to try a fourth pair.

 

I guess I figured a $500 hp would have a lower tolerance for mismatched drivers. I feel like I'm listening more to the headphones, and less to my music.

It could be your ears too... I know that I have slightly better hearing on my right ears. Have you tried other headphones to see if they all sound centered?

post #515 of 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrnie View Post


Are you using good quality tracks? I haven't noticed any problems with mine. What amp and DAC are you using?

 

I'm running lossless from an iPhone 5S to a little iCon DAC/amp (although I don't hear an appreciable difference with or without it). I also run flacs through Fidelia from my 2013 MacBook Pro (and used a Fiio E12 for a time). I also use an iPhone 4 for comparison. I know these are far from "ideal", but I am hearing the imbalance across these 3 sources.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post
 

It could be your ears too... I know that I have slightly better hearing on my right ears. Have you tried other headphones to see if they all sound centered?

 

I thought of it simply being my ears, too. But I'm trying to eliminate that possibility by varying the setup. I'll switch the left and right leads, I'll wear the hp's backwards, I'll use different sweep files and tone apps. What I'm hearing is predictable and consistent. I'm certain it's the headphones. I've been through a lot of headphones in recent months (damn you, head-fi!), and some have had varying degrees of imbalance. It's only because these are of such "quality" that this imbalance/mismatch is bothering so much. For this kind of money, I shouldn't be hearing this. Right?

 

Perhaps these really aren't the 'phones for me.

 

*** 

 

The reason I brought this up was in the context of the conversation going on here. Many people are talking about the varying perception of the mids on this set. I might suggest it's not all perception but, from my experience with 3 sets of these, maybe the actual sound IS different from pair to pair. I know that the first pair I received had these wonderful, liquid gold mids that especially loved hard rock guitars - pairs 2 and 3 haven't had that (as much). 

 

Don't know. Just throwing that out there...

post #516 of 1583
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjamn View Post
 

 

I'm running lossless from an iPhone 5S to a little iCon DAC/amp (although I don't hear an appreciable difference with or without it). I also run flacs through Fidelia from my 2013 MacBook Pro (and used a Fiio E12 for a time). I also use an iPhone 4 for comparison. I know these are far from "ideal", but I am hearing the imbalance across these 3 sources.

 

 

 

I thought of it simply being my ears, too. But I'm trying to eliminate that possibility by varying the setup. I'll switch the left and right leads, I'll wear the hp's backwards, I'll use different sweep files and tone apps. What I'm hearing is predictable and consistent. I'm certain it's the headphones. I've been through a lot of headphones in recent months (damn you, head-fi!), and some have had varying degrees of imbalance. It's only because these are of such "quality" that this imbalance/mismatch is bothering so much. For this kind of money, I shouldn't be hearing this. Right?

 

Perhaps these really aren't the 'phones for me.

 

*** 

 

The reason I brought this up was in the context of the conversation going on here. Many people are talking about the varying perception of the mids on this set. I might suggest it's not all perception but, from my experience with 3 sets of these, maybe the actual sound IS different from pair to pair. I know that the first pair I received had these wonderful, liquid gold mids that especially loved hard rock guitars - pairs 2 and 3 haven't had that (as much). 

 

Don't know. Just throwing that out there...

Sorry to hear that. But it could be hard to judge if you are not judging the three pair side to side. Anyways, I can't offer an explanation. It could be driver mismatch, or anything. I never heard of this issue. I compared my pair to a pair at a audio store in Korea, and couldn't distinguish a difference.

post #517 of 1583
I have no idea then man. Have you contacted Shure to see if they can help?
post #518 of 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjamn View Post
 

Has anyone heard more than one of these? Maybe they're inconsistent across individual units. I've had 3 of these now - the first two were no good (l/r imbalance in the high mids), but when I got the 3rd pair I heard what I was after. The mids and highs were well-balanced left-to-right and the sound (to me) was spectacular. That is, until I put on some rock tracks... and the low bass octaves were off center! Bass guitars were shifted to the left, and kick drums sound sounded like they were aimed to the side.

 

I tried every variation I could think of - reversing the phones on my head, reversing the l/r plugs, many different songs on different sources, switching the earpads - there was definitely an imbalance between the two earcups. But - I like these so much, I'm probably going to try a fourth pair.

 

I guess I figured a $500 hp would have a lower tolerance for mismatched drivers. I feel like I'm listening more to the headphones, and less to my music.

 

I own two. They are identical in SQ. Staging and imaging is perfect (listening to the Emma test CD "5 pianos" track right now).

post #519 of 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereolab42 View Post
 

 

80 Ohm. I think the DT770 80s are the best closed headphones at their price, period. And yes, I think the Shures are worth the extra cash. They are not twice as good, since you're well into the rate of diminishing returns once you zoom past $150, but that's the same with all luxury goods...

 

Thanks!

 

And sonically... what are the differences between 770 (80 Ohm) and 1540? I understand that the Shure is better and the quality is to its side, but I would like to know the tonal balance: which one has more bass (sub-bass, mid-bass, impact, slam)? Which one has less recessed mids? Which one is warmer? Which one has more highs (soft, rough, harsh...)?

 

Did anyone compared the SRH1540 to the 770LE (or the 32 Ohm version)? And the X1?

 

I know, I'm asking too much :wink_face:.

post #520 of 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowalski74 View Post
 

 

Thanks!

 

And sonically... what are the differences between 770 (80 Ohm) and 1540? I understand that the Shure is better and the quality is to its side, but I would like to know the tonal balance: which one has more bass (sub-bass, mid-bass, impact, slam)? Which one has less recessed mids? Which one is warmer? Which one has more highs (soft, rough, harsh...)?

 

Did anyone compared the SRH1540 to the 770LE (or the 32 Ohm version)? And the X1?

 

I know, I'm asking too much :wink_face:.

I suggest you read this whole thread for info on the X1.  I seem to remember someone comparing the two and probably the 770s also.

post #521 of 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrnie View Post

I have no idea then man. Have you contacted Shure to see if they can help?

 

I did. Their first suggestion was to exchange it with the retailer. Later, I believe I was escalated to the "headphone manager" - but he was out for awhile (headphone conference, maybe), and as the return window was starting to close with the retailer, I had returned them by the time he got back with me. He still tried to help me and although he seemed a little perplexed, he was very patient with my concerns. He said he would have asked me to send them to him for testing, which is interesting - but I just don't know if I want to get into all that.

 

If it's not the 'phones or the equipment, then it's clearly me. And either my ears/perception are wrong, or maybe it turns out I'm cursed with "golden ears" which is allowing me to hear these bothersome subtleties. All I'm certain of is that my journey to find better headphones is taking me farther from my music.

 

I've read that the Senn HD650 feature hand-matched drivers - maybe I should head in that direction (although I think I'd miss my bass). Or, maybe the new HiFiMan 400i are worth waiting for. Or, maybe I just quit trying and keep rocking my good 'ol M50's. But I'm not sure I can just put this genie back in the bottle, having gone this far. Know what I mean?

post #522 of 1583

Yea I hear you.  I own the HD650s myself and much more enjoy the 1540s but I have a kid so the silence, of a closed headphone, is bliss.  I am a bit bummed that your experience with these cans wasn't as memorable as the rest of ours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjamn View Post
 

 

I did. Their first suggestion was to exchange it with the retailer. Later, I believe I was escalated to the "headphone manager" - but he was out for awhile (headphone conference, maybe), and as the return window was starting to close with the retailer, I had returned them by the time he got back with me. He still tried to help me and although he seemed a little perplexed, he was very patient with my concerns. He said he would have asked me to send them to him for testing, which is interesting - but I just don't know if I want to get into all that.

 

If it's not the 'phones or the equipment, then it's clearly me. And either my ears/perception are wrong, or maybe it turns out I'm cursed with "golden ears" which is allowing me to hear these bothersome subtleties. All I'm certain of is that my journey to find better headphones is taking me farther from my music.

 

I've read that the Senn HD650 feature hand-matched drivers - maybe I should head in that direction (although I think I'd miss my bass). Or, maybe the new HiFiMan 400i are worth waiting for. Or, maybe I just quit trying and keep rocking my good 'ol M50's. But I'm not sure I can just put this genie back in the bottle, having gone this far. Know what I mean?

post #523 of 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrnie View Post
 

Yea I hear you.  I own the HD650s myself and much more enjoy the 1540s but I have a kid so the silence, of a closed headphone, is bliss.  I am a bit bummed that your experience with these cans wasn't as memorable as the rest of ours.

 

Yeah, and don't get me wrong - I'm not really knocking these. I think they're great, perhaps exactly what I've been looking for: build, comfort, sound signature, easy-to-drive. It's just freaking me out a little that I would be having so much trouble with l/r perception. I think my next step is a hearing test, although I'm really not sure I want to know!

post #524 of 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjamn View Post
 

 

Yeah, and don't get me wrong - I'm not really knocking these. I think they're great, perhaps exactly what I've been looking for: build, comfort, sound signature, easy-to-drive. It's just freaking me out a little that I would be having so much trouble with l/r perception. I think my next step is a hearing test, although I'm really not sure I want to know!

You know it just occured to me that this could be alleviated after burn-in.  Did you burn-in any of those pairs of 1540s?

post #525 of 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrnie View Post
 

You know it just occured to me that this could be alleviated after burn-in.  Did you burn-in any of those pairs of 1540s?

 

Yes. My technique is to let it play random songs with the volume set a notch or two above (and half the time below) where I'd listen to it. I'll do this overnight and while I'm at work, for days (while also giving them a "break" now and then). I've seen some headphones seem to change dramatically. The 1540's seemed to settle after just a few hours - but I still keep them burning. The set I have now have about 100 hours on them.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH1540 Review