- 1,520 Posts. Joined 12/2008
- Location: Northern VA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by kimvictor, 1/23/14
Related Forum Threads
- Upgrading from a Sennheiser HD25-1 II to the Shure SRH1540. Worth it? Last post on 11/18/14 at 6:33am in Headphones (full-size)
- Shure SRH1540 vs HiFiMan HE-400/400i/500 Last post on 12/25/14 at 11:43pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- About to order Shure SRH1540, want to double-check my line of thinking? Last post on 12/10/14 at 8:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Shure 1540 vs Beyerdynamic t51p vs ath-m50 Last post on 11/7/14 at 3:33am in Headphones (full-size)
- Shure 1540 vs Beyerdynamic t51i/t51p Last post on 10/15/14 at 2:45pm in Headphones (full-size)
Purchased this system off of Ebay. Overall very good sound, impressive sound output with powerful bass response, at its price point ($250} I think it is the system to beat, the satellites sound...
I got these from Amazon. Truth be told, I was a bit skeptical due to lack of reviews at the time (positive or negative). But I was ordering my Crossfade LPs [they good or bad, is an entirely...
These have been a real dream to listen to. They have a really good range of sound not artificial sounding at all. They have have as a matter fact excellent tremble. They don't pull the mids to...
Ok! Point number 1: horrible button layout! Point number 2: excellent sound quality! The stock theme is badly designed. EDIT: There are custom themes that make the player look much...
I’ve had my Dragon Inspire IHA-1 now for a sufficient time period to post my thoughts. I will use a subjective 5 point scoring system. Setup: Power Conditioning: Blue Circle...
Shure SRH1540 Review - Page 24
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Recently purchased SRH1540 from Moon Audio they have a "Silver Dragon" balanced aftermarket cable for the Shure headphones, 1540, 1840, 1440 so I purchased a "Silver Dragon" with the SRH1540. Previously in 2012 I had purchased an SRH1840 and returned it as the Sound Signature was intolerable for my taste a weak bass and very tinny sound.
The SRH1540 has better bass but my impression , sounds bloated, a recessed midrange and tinny metallic sounding treble. I tried it with 2 different balanced amplifiers and was very dissatisfied with the Sound Signature.
I returned the SRH1840 to Moon Audio and they were able to remove the Shure connectors and hardwired "Silver Dragon" to another headphone the service provided by Drew at Moon Audio is superb.
My impressions on the SRH1840 are my opinion compared to other headphones I own, for the value $500, a Hifiman HE-500 is a better value if you have the power to drive them.
Just watched this: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/cool-comfy-and-competent-shure-srh1540.
Yup, it's a WOFer.
. . . and the Focal stock crashes.
They really are to bright and glary for me.
And like I said in the review, the SRH1540 is too.
The 1540 really does begin to fall apart at louder volumes.
But they're so damned good sounding at gentle listening levels I can't stop listening to them.
Over-simplistically, yes. They're more "U" shaped than overly warm.
At loud levels they fall apart in the bass, but at low levels they're gorgeous.
I suspect my recommendation will raise a few hackles...the SRH1540 is not a perfect headphone.
Not that I've ever heard one.
Edited by Tyll Hertsens - 4/12/14 at 8:09am
from my experience yes - though the initial harshness was easily 'cured' by turning down the volume to a gentler level. after a day, things started to change, even non-audiophile friends of mine started asking how much is the 1540 after trying them on - before the 1540, they almost always just tell me i'm crazy to be spending too much on cans. I still do find it better on gentler volume levels.
Been driving it with ifi dsd + ifi itube + ifi ican. There was noticeable (for the better) change with the itube buffer specially when set to +6db. I could tolerate the bass to a higher volume level - unfortunately, it doesnt seem to cope well with a lot of strong dubstep records i throw at it. But then again i dont really listen much to dubstep music - i just wanted to hear how it will deal with the strong and ever-changing bass of the genre.
with vocals (mostly female) and instrumentals i like it very much - smooth and detailed. Although as i have said in some other threads, it sounds somewhat 'airy' for me for a closed back headphone - maybe because of the pads - which might as well be why sound leakage is bad at slightly above volume levels. Now that I think about it, at volume levels where sound leakage is minimal but volume is just enough - the 1540 sounded most enjoyable for me.
and also, the carbon fiber is just too cool ;)
Edited by rptlead - 4/13/14 at 5:37am
- Shure SRH1540 Review
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 20 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 30 seconds ago
- › EarSonics Velvet universal custom in ear monitor with three sound... 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › TEAC UD-H01 USB DAC 3 minutes ago
- › Wireless Headphones 4 minutes ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 5 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 5 minutes ago
- › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II 7 minutes ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 7 minutes ago
- › Corsair Gaming Audio Series SP2500 High-Power 2.1 PC Speaker System... by Croozer
- › V-MODA Bass Freq Metal In-Ear Noise-Isolating Headphone (Gunmetal... by atkhan
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by Ragingfighter
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by hstubc
- › Inspire by Dennis Had IHA-1 Dragon Version by BlakeT
- › MP4Nation Brainwavz M1 by JoeDoe
- › Koss RUK 30K Noise Isolating In-Ear Stereophone, Black by ajlan
- › Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 HiFi by Ataka
- › Creative Fatal1ty Gaming Headset by TsukiNick
- › SHOZY Alien DAP by AudioGG
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)