- 1,155 Posts. Joined 12/2008
- Location: Ashburn, VA (Northern VA)
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by kimvictor, 1/23/14
Related Forum Threads
- Upgrade from HD600: Shure 1540 or Fostex TH600? Last post on 6/14/14 at 12:39pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Shure SRH1540 vs Mr Speakers Alpha dog vs other need help Last post on 6/13/14 at 11:24am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Warm & fast: AKG K712 Pro or Shure SRH 1540 ??? Last post on 6/24/14 at 3:08pm in Headphones (full-size)
- srh1540 amp and dac suggestion Last post on 5/11/14 at 11:23pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- worth trading my Shure SRH1540 for Audio Technica W1000x Last post on 5/7/14 at 9:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
Shure SRH1540 Review - Page 24
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Recently purchased SRH1540 from Moon Audio they have a "Silver Dragon" balanced aftermarket cable for the Shure headphones, 1540, 1840, 1440 so I purchased a "Silver Dragon" with the SRH1540. Previously in 2012 I had purchased an SRH1840 and returned it as the Sound Signature was intolerable for my taste a weak bass and very tinny sound.
The SRH1540 has better bass but my impression , sounds bloated, a recessed midrange and tinny metallic sounding treble. I tried it with 2 different balanced amplifiers and was very dissatisfied with the Sound Signature.
I returned the SRH1840 to Moon Audio and they were able to remove the Shure connectors and hardwired "Silver Dragon" to another headphone the service provided by Drew at Moon Audio is superb.
My impressions on the SRH1840 are my opinion compared to other headphones I own, for the value $500, a Hifiman HE-500 is a better value if you have the power to drive them.
Yup, it's a WOFer.
. . . and the Focal stock crashes.
Edited by Claritas - 4/11/14 at 3:44pm
Just watched this: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/cool-comfy-and-competent-shure-srh1540.
Yup, it's a WOFer.
. . . and the Focal stock crashes.
They really are to bright and glary for me.
And like I said in the review, the SRH1540 is too.
The 1540 really does begin to fall apart at louder volumes.
But they're so damned good sounding at gentle listening levels I can't stop listening to them.
Over-simplistically, yes. They're more "U" shaped than overly warm.
At loud levels they fall apart in the bass, but at low levels they're gorgeous.
I suspect my recommendation will raise a few hackles...the SRH1540 is not a perfect headphone.
Not that I've ever heard one.
Edited by Tyll Hertsens - 4/12/14 at 8:09am
from my experience yes - though the initial harshness was easily 'cured' by turning down the volume to a gentler level. after a day, things started to change, even non-audiophile friends of mine started asking how much is the 1540 after trying them on - before the 1540, they almost always just tell me i'm crazy to be spending too much on cans. I still do find it better on gentler volume levels.
Been driving it with ifi dsd + ifi itube + ifi ican. There was noticeable (for the better) change with the itube buffer specially when set to +6db. I could tolerate the bass to a higher volume level - unfortunately, it doesnt seem to cope well with a lot of strong dubstep records i throw at it. But then again i dont really listen much to dubstep music - i just wanted to hear how it will deal with the strong and ever-changing bass of the genre.
with vocals (mostly female) and instrumentals i like it very much - smooth and detailed. Although as i have said in some other threads, it sounds somewhat 'airy' for me for a closed back headphone - maybe because of the pads - which might as well be why sound leakage is bad at slightly above volume levels. Now that I think about it, at volume levels where sound leakage is minimal but volume is just enough - the 1540 sounded most enjoyable for me.
and also, the carbon fiber is just too cool ;)
Edited by rptlead - 4/13/14 at 5:37am
- Shure SRH1540 Review
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 40 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 41 seconds ago
- › Seattle Redhook Meet Saturday July 26th, 2014 57 seconds ago
- › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition 1 minute ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 1 minute ago
- › Official 2014 LA Head-Fi Meet, August 9, 2014, Marriott Warner Center 1 minute ago
- › Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo - Discussion and Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 2 minutes ago
- › Q701 appreciation thread 2 minutes ago
- › DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone by mark2410
- › Astro A40 Audio System - White by MaxiMarciano
- › Logitech Z553 2.1 Speakers by Nada190
- › Future Sonics mg5pro 10mm Ear Monitors by Kunlun
- › AKG K812 by jk47
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by fleasbaby
- › T-Peos Altone200 by ClieOS
- › SONY MDR-XB30EX-B Black | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese... by francopro
- › NarMoo R1M High-Fidelity Noise Isolation Headphones with Mic by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by ash47
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)