- 1,580 Posts. Joined 12/2008
- Location: Northern VA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by kimvictor, 1/23/14
Related Forum Threads
- Mic for Open Cans? Last post on 2/16/15 at 7:15am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Newbie looking for advice on maximizing experience(already have gear) Last post on 2/11/15 at 7:59am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Can someone suggest $400-$600 over ear cans with good "neckability" (lol) ? Last post on 2/13/15 at 12:23am in Headphones (full-size)
- Can someone suggest $400-$600 over ear cans with good "neckability" (lol) ? Last post on 7/12/15 at 9:04am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- SRH1540 or HD700? Last post on 2/4/15 at 1:55am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Shure SRH1540 Review - Page 24
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Recently purchased SRH1540 from Moon Audio they have a "Silver Dragon" balanced aftermarket cable for the Shure headphones, 1540, 1840, 1440 so I purchased a "Silver Dragon" with the SRH1540. Previously in 2012 I had purchased an SRH1840 and returned it as the Sound Signature was intolerable for my taste a weak bass and very tinny sound.
The SRH1540 has better bass but my impression , sounds bloated, a recessed midrange and tinny metallic sounding treble. I tried it with 2 different balanced amplifiers and was very dissatisfied with the Sound Signature.
I returned the SRH1840 to Moon Audio and they were able to remove the Shure connectors and hardwired "Silver Dragon" to another headphone the service provided by Drew at Moon Audio is superb.
My impressions on the SRH1840 are my opinion compared to other headphones I own, for the value $500, a Hifiman HE-500 is a better value if you have the power to drive them.
Just watched this: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/cool-comfy-and-competent-shure-srh1540.
Yup, it's a WOFer.
. . . and the Focal stock crashes.
They really are to bright and glary for me.
And like I said in the review, the SRH1540 is too.
The 1540 really does begin to fall apart at louder volumes.
But they're so damned good sounding at gentle listening levels I can't stop listening to them.
Over-simplistically, yes. They're more "U" shaped than overly warm.
At loud levels they fall apart in the bass, but at low levels they're gorgeous.
I suspect my recommendation will raise a few hackles...the SRH1540 is not a perfect headphone.
Not that I've ever heard one.
Edited by Tyll Hertsens - 4/12/14 at 8:09am
from my experience yes - though the initial harshness was easily 'cured' by turning down the volume to a gentler level. after a day, things started to change, even non-audiophile friends of mine started asking how much is the 1540 after trying them on - before the 1540, they almost always just tell me i'm crazy to be spending too much on cans. I still do find it better on gentler volume levels.
Been driving it with ifi dsd + ifi itube + ifi ican. There was noticeable (for the better) change with the itube buffer specially when set to +6db. I could tolerate the bass to a higher volume level - unfortunately, it doesnt seem to cope well with a lot of strong dubstep records i throw at it. But then again i dont really listen much to dubstep music - i just wanted to hear how it will deal with the strong and ever-changing bass of the genre.
with vocals (mostly female) and instrumentals i like it very much - smooth and detailed. Although as i have said in some other threads, it sounds somewhat 'airy' for me for a closed back headphone - maybe because of the pads - which might as well be why sound leakage is bad at slightly above volume levels. Now that I think about it, at volume levels where sound leakage is minimal but volume is just enough - the 1540 sounded most enjoyable for me.
and also, the carbon fiber is just too cool ;)
Edited by rptlead - 4/13/14 at 5:37am
- Shure SRH1540 Review
- › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread 6 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 44 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 59 seconds ago
- › Sony MDR-Z7 Broken driver, or something that I can fix? 1 minute ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 1 minute ago
- › Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here! 1 minute ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › REVIEW: Unique Melody Merlin - hybrid dynamic/balanced armature... 3 minutes ago
- › Walkman NWZ F886 officialy announced!! [192khz/24bits] 4 minutes ago
- › Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by goodyfresh
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by Hisoundfi
- › Apogee GROOVE Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier for Mac and PC by acain
- › Noble Audio Savant by Brooko
- › Bose® Computer MusicMonitor® -- Silver by labrat
- › Harman Kardon AE1 In Ear Headphones by Army-Firedawg
- › RHA T20 by dweaver
- › Bluetooth receiver dual amplifier class1 NFC (black) [Japan Import] by peter123
- › FiiO E12 Mont Blanc by Mediahound
- › CEntrance HiFi-M8 by Mediahound
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3