- 1,580 Posts. Joined 12/2008
- Location: Northern VA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by kimvictor, 1/23/14
Related Forum Threads
- Mic for Open Cans? Last post on 2/16/15 at 7:15am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Newbie looking for advice on maximizing experience(already have gear) Last post on 2/11/15 at 7:59am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Can someone suggest $400-$600 over ear cans with good "neckability" (lol) ? Last post on 2/13/15 at 12:23am in Headphones (full-size)
- Can someone suggest $400-$600 over ear cans with good "neckability" (lol) ? Last post on 7/12/15 at 9:04am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- SRH1540 or HD700? Last post on 2/4/15 at 1:55am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
I was offered to review these for Brainwavz and I agreed. I am not affiliated with the company, and have no bias towards or against them. This review will be my unbiased opinion on...
BEYERDYNAMIC iDX 160 iE INTRO If you're reading this you must be a Head-Fi member or just looking at reviews for a new pair of headphones or iem’s. Let me introduce myself, my name is Adam...
Table of Contents Introduction Features and Ergonomics Sound Quality With IEMS With full-size headphones Comparisons to other audio gear For whom is this player good...
Introduction: There seems to be quite a bit of discussion and disagreements regarding HIFIMAN’s (HFM) newest headphone, the HE400S. Some have praised the HE400S as being a giant slayer while other...
Brainwavz needs no introduction. They have been in the IEM market long enough that they have made a name for themselves, especially in the bang-for-bucks section. The S5 has been in the market for...
Shure SRH1540 Review - Page 24
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Recently purchased SRH1540 from Moon Audio they have a "Silver Dragon" balanced aftermarket cable for the Shure headphones, 1540, 1840, 1440 so I purchased a "Silver Dragon" with the SRH1540. Previously in 2012 I had purchased an SRH1840 and returned it as the Sound Signature was intolerable for my taste a weak bass and very tinny sound.
The SRH1540 has better bass but my impression , sounds bloated, a recessed midrange and tinny metallic sounding treble. I tried it with 2 different balanced amplifiers and was very dissatisfied with the Sound Signature.
I returned the SRH1840 to Moon Audio and they were able to remove the Shure connectors and hardwired "Silver Dragon" to another headphone the service provided by Drew at Moon Audio is superb.
My impressions on the SRH1840 are my opinion compared to other headphones I own, for the value $500, a Hifiman HE-500 is a better value if you have the power to drive them.
Just watched this: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/cool-comfy-and-competent-shure-srh1540.
Yup, it's a WOFer.
. . . and the Focal stock crashes.
They really are to bright and glary for me.
And like I said in the review, the SRH1540 is too.
The 1540 really does begin to fall apart at louder volumes.
But they're so damned good sounding at gentle listening levels I can't stop listening to them.
Over-simplistically, yes. They're more "U" shaped than overly warm.
At loud levels they fall apart in the bass, but at low levels they're gorgeous.
I suspect my recommendation will raise a few hackles...the SRH1540 is not a perfect headphone.
Not that I've ever heard one.
Edited by Tyll Hertsens - 4/12/14 at 8:09am
from my experience yes - though the initial harshness was easily 'cured' by turning down the volume to a gentler level. after a day, things started to change, even non-audiophile friends of mine started asking how much is the 1540 after trying them on - before the 1540, they almost always just tell me i'm crazy to be spending too much on cans. I still do find it better on gentler volume levels.
Been driving it with ifi dsd + ifi itube + ifi ican. There was noticeable (for the better) change with the itube buffer specially when set to +6db. I could tolerate the bass to a higher volume level - unfortunately, it doesnt seem to cope well with a lot of strong dubstep records i throw at it. But then again i dont really listen much to dubstep music - i just wanted to hear how it will deal with the strong and ever-changing bass of the genre.
with vocals (mostly female) and instrumentals i like it very much - smooth and detailed. Although as i have said in some other threads, it sounds somewhat 'airy' for me for a closed back headphone - maybe because of the pads - which might as well be why sound leakage is bad at slightly above volume levels. Now that I think about it, at volume levels where sound leakage is minimal but volume is just enough - the 1540 sounded most enjoyable for me.
and also, the carbon fiber is just too cool ;)
Edited by rptlead - 4/13/14 at 5:37am
- Shure SRH1540 Review
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Bette hybrid review by jekostas. PG 1972. 4 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 4 minutes ago
- › JVC HA-FXT90 Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Introducing the Brainwavz Jive earphones - Tuned to preform like a... 6 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 7 minutes ago
- › AKG K7xx Limited Edition -- Like New in Box 7 minutes ago
- › NocturnaL Audio Custom Headphone Cables 11 minutes ago
- › Oppo PM-3 vs Philips Fidelio X2 vs HiFiMAN HE400S vs AKG K712 Pro 12 minutes ago
- › Binaural: Hear New York City in 3D 13 minutes ago
- › Audio-GD NFB-15.32 Delivery & Impression Thread 14 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz Jive by jasonb
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by acain
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by chowmein83
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by Cotnijoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by ClieOS
- › Shozy Lancea mini dac amplifier 24bit/192khz for Android/iOS/PC/iPhone by peter123
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by muxamed
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by Bansaku
- › Astell&Kern AK380 Ultimate High Fidelity Portable Music Player by piercer
- › JBL Synchros S300 Premium On-Ear Stereo Headphones by ourfpshero
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2