Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread - Page 93

post #1381 of 1394
FSP is not that far from high-end stuff in terms of sound quality...i could easily live with it as my only headphone and not feel like I'm missing out on much...
post #1382 of 1394

When I first got the Yamaha HPH-MT220, I liked it slightly more than the Focal Spirit Professional. Now that I've gone down the rabbit hole of modifications and experimentation, the Yamaha blows away the Focal in terms of realism.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Alchemist View Post
 

I found a simple tweak that makes the mids more upfront: move the ear pads back so your ears are near the front instead of in the middle! I also discovered that removing the gauze I put under the pads makes them sound...harsher. hehe

 

Update 1: Now I listened with the gauze added in again + moving my ears to the front. Instead of making the mids more upfront and sounding harsher, it just sounds more bassy and bloated. Maybe I put too much gauze in. We'll see how it sounds with half the amount of gauze...

 

Update 2: That did the trick! With half the amount of gauze and my ears moved to the front, now it sounds much brighter! Kind of a good and bad thing. In this configuration, though the mids are more upfront (not necessarily upfront enough to be accurate), the treble is sometimes too upfront. But this is easily the most engaging sound I've heard from the headphone. Really glad I found something so simple and easy to help solve the problem I had with the mids, even if it's a compromise. Much of the time, the treble still isn't problematic. And that juicy bass is always there to enjoy. I 💕 feeling these vibrate on my head.

 

All you MT220 owners: move your ears to the front of the pads and witness how much more exciting it sounds!

 

Not saying any FSP owners should get rid of theirs or anything...but if you can wing it, get both, try out the mod on the Yamaha, and hear for yourself what I mean!

 

P.S. It's muh birfday! =^^=


Edited by Music Alchemist - 5/23/15 at 10:51pm
post #1383 of 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanuthead View Post

FSP is not that far from high-end stuff in terms of sound quality...i could easily live with it as my only headphone and not feel like I'm missing out on much...

Is your Youtube account ''TheGamingAudioPhile''?

post #1384 of 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakanao View Post
 

Is your Youtube account ''TheGamingAudioPhile''?


no

post #1385 of 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanuthead View Post
 


no

Oh alright. The reason I asked that is because he said very similar things about the Spirit Pros like you said, for instance that he would be totally happy with owning just one Spirit Pro and no other headphones.

post #1386 of 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakanao View Post
 

Oh alright. The reason I asked that is because he said very similar things about the Spirit Pros like you said, for instance that he would be totally happy with owning just one Spirit Pro and no other headphones.


FSP and ATH MSR7 are my my choices for "desert island headphones."  Versatile, neutral, and just great sounding!

 

Although I'd rather be able to keep my listening corner, lol.

 

IMG_7191-2.jpg


Edited by peanuthead - Yesterday at 7:51 am
post #1387 of 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanuthead View Post
 


FSP and ATH MSR7 are my my choices for "desert island headphones."  Versatile, neutral, and just great sounding!

 

Although I'd rather be able to keep my listening corner, lol.

 

IMG_7191-2.jpg

 

Beautiful listening corner, congrats.

post #1388 of 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanuthead View Post
 


FSP and ATH MSR7 are my my choices for "desert island headphones."  Versatile, neutral, and just great sounding!

 

Although I'd rather be able to keep my listening corner, lol.

 

IMG_7191-2.jpg

Daaaamn, you got some cash 0_o.

 

What amp/DAC do you use with your Spirit Pros? And do you notice any difference between no amp/DAC on the Spirit Pros and with amp/DAC?

post #1389 of 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanuthead View Post

FSP is not that far from high-end stuff in terms of sound quality...i could easily live with it as my only headphone and not feel like I'm missing out on much...

 

Can you compare the differences in sound between the HD 800 and FSP for me?

post #1390 of 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakanao View Post
 

Daaaamn, you got some cash 0_o.

 

What amp/DAC do you use with your Spirit Pros? And do you notice any difference between no amp/DAC on the Spirit Pros and with amp/DAC?

 

I'm not peanuthead but I use the Geekout 450 with the FSP and notice a big difference in comparison with the lineout of my laptop.

post #1391 of 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuff Jones View Post
 

 

I'm not peanuthead but I use the Geekout 450 with the FSP and notice a big difference in comparison with the lineout of my laptop.

What exactly are those differences that you hear?

post #1392 of 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by rixlbg View Post
 

 

Beautiful listening corner, congrats.

Thanks!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakanao View Post
 

Daaaamn, you got some cash 0_o.

 

What amp/DAC do you use with your Spirit Pros? And do you notice any difference between no amp/DAC on the Spirit Pros and with amp/DAC?

I've been mainly using HeadAmp GS-1 and Schiit Modi 2U combo with FSP.  I've also used iPhone 6Plus, and although probably not as dynamic as the GS-1/Modi combo, still quite competent and enjoyable.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Alchemist View Post
 

 

Can you compare the differences in sound between the HD 800 and FSP for me?

I haven't done critical comparison between the two, but off the top of my head:  

- HD800 is a little on the bright side of neutral, FSP is a little on the warm side of neutral; overall I'd say FSP has a slightly more neutral presentation.

- In terms of soundstage, HD800 does things with imaging/soundstage that no other headphone that I've listened to does, so its's not a fair comparison...FSP soundstage is more "intimate" but still excellent.

- HD800 has more "resolution"...FSP nevertheless seems to reveal/present everything that is in the recording...in a manner similar to HD650...

- Bass extension is similar.  FSP has more bass presence and impact, but not flabby or intrusive.

post #1393 of 1394

I would say the FSP has a slight ^-- sound signature. Slightly boosted bass with neutral mids and highs to my ears.

post #1394 of 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakanao View Post
 

What exactly are those differences that you hear?

 

I don't have time for an AB now but the sound is punchier, more refined, less grainy and the soundstage is bigger. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread