- 899 Posts. Joined 11/2008
- Location: USA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- sound similar to he500 and a sennheiser HD6xx/hd580 question Last post on 12/5/14 at 10:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Cheaper headphones that do what high-end headphones don't Last post on 10/21/14 at 7:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD600 - Finding A Better Amp? Last post on 5/3/14 at 12:03am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Looking for COMFORTABLE Audiophile grade headphones Last post on 4/18/14 at 7:07am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HD600 owner looking to buy some orthos Last post on 3/24/14 at 9:17pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 12/5/14
As my wife will tell you, at just about every major audio show I attend I buy something (shocker right?). There’s something cool about looking at my pieces of gear and thinking about the show...
So i bought the DT 880 250 Ohm Pro model. I also have KEf m200 in ears, a pair of AKG k450. I owned Audio Technica m30, Sennheiser Momentum on ear and Beyerdynamic dt 770 80 Ohm. The difference is...
Introduction Over the past year, Audiofly released their "Performance" range of IEMs, designed by musicians as stage monitors. A while back I had a chance to sample the top of the range AF180 and...
My wife returned from two weeks in Japan today. While I was glad to see her after time apart, and excited to have her back, a part of me was more excited about what she had brought with her: my...
I bought this headphone amp after having met Ray Samuels at a Headphone show. He made it absolutely clear how much he valued over-engineering his pieces and how much he prioritized long term...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread - Page 93
Gear mentioned in this thread:
When I first got the Yamaha HPH-MT220, I liked it slightly more than the Focal Spirit Professional. Now that I've gone down the rabbit hole of modifications and experimentation, the Yamaha blows away the Focal in terms of realism.
I found a simple tweak that makes the mids more upfront: move the ear pads back so your ears are near the front instead of in the middle! I also discovered that removing the gauze I put under the pads makes them sound...harsher. hehe
Update 1: Now I listened with the gauze added in again + moving my ears to the front. Instead of making the mids more upfront and sounding harsher, it just sounds more bassy and bloated. Maybe I put too much gauze in. We'll see how it sounds with half the amount of gauze...
Update 2: That did the trick! With half the amount of gauze and my ears moved to the front, now it sounds much brighter! Kind of a good and bad thing. In this configuration, though the mids are more upfront (not necessarily upfront enough to be accurate), the treble is sometimes too upfront. But this is easily the most engaging sound I've heard from the headphone. Really glad I found something so simple and easy to help solve the problem I had with the mids, even if it's a compromise. Much of the time, the treble still isn't problematic. And that juicy bass is always there to enjoy. I 💕 feeling these vibrate on my head.
All you MT220 owners: move your ears to the front of the pads and witness how much more exciting it sounds!
Not saying any FSP owners should get rid of theirs or anything...but if you can wing it, get both, try out the mod on the Yamaha, and hear for yourself what I mean!
P.S. It's muh birfday! =^^=
Edited by Music Alchemist - 5/23/15 at 10:51pm
Is your Youtube account ''TheGamingAudioPhile''?
Oh alright. The reason I asked that is because he said very similar things about the Spirit Pros like you said, for instance that he would be totally happy with owning just one Spirit Pro and no other headphones.
FSP and ATH MSR7 are my my choices for "desert island headphones." Versatile, neutral, and just great sounding!
Although I'd rather be able to keep my listening corner, lol.
Edited by peanuthead - Yesterday at 7:51 am
Beautiful listening corner, congrats.
Daaaamn, you got some cash 0_o.
What amp/DAC do you use with your Spirit Pros? And do you notice any difference between no amp/DAC on the Spirit Pros and with amp/DAC?
Can you compare the differences in sound between the HD 800 and FSP for me?
I'm not peanuthead but I use the Geekout 450 with the FSP and notice a big difference in comparison with the lineout of my laptop.
What exactly are those differences that you hear?
I've been mainly using HeadAmp GS-1 and Schiit Modi 2U combo with FSP. I've also used iPhone 6Plus, and although probably not as dynamic as the GS-1/Modi combo, still quite competent and enjoyable.
I haven't done critical comparison between the two, but off the top of my head:
- HD800 is a little on the bright side of neutral, FSP is a little on the warm side of neutral; overall I'd say FSP has a slightly more neutral presentation.
- In terms of soundstage, HD800 does things with imaging/soundstage that no other headphone that I've listened to does, so its's not a fair comparison...FSP soundstage is more "intimate" but still excellent.
- HD800 has more "resolution"...FSP nevertheless seems to reveal/present everything that is in the recording...in a manner similar to HD650...
- Bass extension is similar. FSP has more bass presence and impact, but not flabby or intrusive.
I don't have time for an AB now but the sound is punchier, more refined, less grainy and the soundstage is bigger.
- Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 21 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 3 minutes ago
- › The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Obscure Chinese DAPs 4 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 5 minutes ago
- › The All new FiiO X1, 192K/24B, PCM5142 DAC and 100mW output with LO... 5 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 5 minutes ago
- › You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2! 7 minutes ago
- › Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread 8 minutes ago
- › ALO Audio - The New Rx by mscott58
- › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphone by bodopopa
- › Audiofly AF120 In-Ear Headphones by Woodhouse
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by hakushondaimao
- › Ray Samuels P-51 Mustang by Zennheiser
- › FiiO E17 by Zennheiser
- › Sennheiser RS 130 Wireless Surround Sound Headphones by Tail
- › T-Peos Baguette Dynamic Earphones by twister6
- › T-Peos Amadeus dual hybrid in-ear monitor with microphone and remote by Hisoundfi
- › Apple iPhone 4S 16GB - AT&T - Black by snellemin
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2