or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold with Abyss AB-1266 - Head-Fi TV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold with Abyss AB-1266 - Head-Fi TV - Page 6

post #76 of 102

Welph, to me the machine aluminum box doesn't seem to have compartments, so not sure about the crosstalk and parasitic noise elimination inside the enclosure. The box might do a wonderful job at reflecting RF back to the boards if RF is indeed a concern (that's sort of speculative).

 

As far as spending uber thousands of dollars on machining a 438.3 x 31.2 x 6.1 cm^3 aluminum box, how did you get to that rough estimate?

 

To me it seems like a minimalist thick enclosure, and still fail to see the bucket loads of money thrown into it's making. I can see the company spending some R&D money into differentiating their product performance wise (which I think might be more desirable than having a brick inside a thick aluminum box)


Edited by ultrabike - 3/3/14 at 4:03pm
post #77 of 102

Ayre is machined out of a single billet of aluminium, which is seriously expensive (done right.)  The Crayon is nothing of the sort.  I personally kind of like the look, especially if it was a stacked affair.  12.5K is out of my range for a headphone amp, especially one from a designer with no pedigree in that sector of the market.  I doubt they've sold many outside the Asian market.  I think Stereodesk tried hyping them up a while ago, but who is going to pick that over something by Craig, Justin, Alex, or Pete? 

post #78 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrabike View Post
 

Welph, to me the machine aluminum box doesn't seem to have compartments, so not sure about the crosstalk and parasitic noise elimination inside the enclosure. The box might do a wonderful job at reflecting RF back to the boards if RF is indeed a concern (that's sort of speculative).

 

As far as spending uber thousands of dollars on machining a 438.3 x 31.2 x 6.1 cm^3 aluminum box, how did you get to that rough estimate?

 

To me it seems like a minimalist thick enclosure, and still fail to see the bucket loads of money thrown into it's making. I can see the company spending some R&D money into differentiating their product performance wise (which I think might be more desirable than having a brick inside a thick aluminum box)

Well I haven't found any pictures of the insides of the CHA yet but I'm saying if its anything like the below they can run up to big money. Some high end manufacturers like to differentiate there products with it's competitors with fancy and unique chassis/enclosure designs. Improper ground planes on the circuit board (too many ground contact or no ground) can cause parasitic noise that only shows up on the O-scope, some of the Sony ES series CD players including my QS 940 SACD player suffer from this problem and manufacturers go to whits end with crazy amount of ferrite core beads on power cables bridging across the PS section to the digital or analogue stage to lower the noise.

 

 

And a cherry 

 

post #79 of 102

I would put more moneys on the implementation than the single billet of aluminum stuff, but who am I to say.

 

Some of the Ayre deals do seem to have discrete internal compartments too.

 

12.5k is outside my range too.

post #80 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post
 

Well I haven't found any pictures of the insides of the CHA yet but I'm saying if its anything like the below they can run up to big money.

 

Linky: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/crayon3/2.html

post #81 of 102

I for one would hate to service something like the Ayre preamp or phono amp's that use individual compartments as a noise blocker. But there was a posted demonstration on Stereophile or something while back of the easy process to remove each major component(s) to get down to low level troubleshooting, something of the sort of unscrew few screws, disconnect a wire connector and you have one major channel stage circuitry removed for service.

 

12.5k is out my range too.

post #82 of 102

LOL! Save a good chunk of change, forget about the single billet aluminum + compartments deal (which the CHA-1 apparently is not), and get a LAu.

 

I think its on sale still but not sure:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/702014/liquid-gold-2014#post_10307461


Edited by ultrabike - 3/3/14 at 4:32pm
post #83 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrabike View Post
 

 

Linky: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/crayon3/2.html

Thanks for that. I don't ever go on 6moons to read there hyped up reviews so probably explains why I can't find the internal pictures.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrabike View Post
 

LOL! Save a good chunk of change, forget about the single billet aluminum + compartments deal, and get a LAu.

 

No point getting a LAu I'm strictly speakers now with a few headphones lying around should I want to listen to music discretely (LCD2's, some Stax and few Sony's). But I do have a 009 coming in however long PJ wants to take it to process and ship it out, I don't even know why I bought it. 

post #84 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post
 

Thanks for that. I don't ever go on 6moons to read there hyped up reviews so probably explains why I can't find the internal pictures.

 

 

No point getting a LAu I'm strictly speakers now with a few headphones lying around should I want to listen to music discretely (LCD2's, some Stax and few Sony's). But I do have a 009 coming in however long PJ wants to take it to process and ship it out, I don't even know why I bought it. 

 

My understanding is that the LAu pairs pretty well with orthos such as your LCD2s... You know you want it.

post #85 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrabike View Post
 

 

My understanding is that the LAu pairs pretty well with orthos such as your LCD2s... You know you want it.

My LCD2's are in pieces. 

post #86 of 102

So let see, 0% interest in a dynamic/ortho headphone amp (cuz said cans types are in pieces anyway), strictly interested in speaker rigs, doesn't know why bought an SR-009 either ...

 

Guess the interest in the LAu + Abyss thread is that your subconsious is ready to fix those LCD-2s and go full steam ahead by pairing them with a LAu.


Edited by ultrabike - 3/3/14 at 8:15pm
post #87 of 102
Machined billet aluminum block with bonus wires, LEDs, sand and stuff - $1099. Explain the Crayon's $12.5k again?

x-sabre_06-600x450.jpg

http://matrix-digi-usa.com/x-series/x-sabre

--

On another note, I appreciated Alex's post, though personally it wasn't necessary. Running a boutique business demands high markup. I work at a violin shop and very high markup is a fact of life in that trade due to the low volume and finicky nature of each sale. Until recently we hadn't made our own instruments, but now that we do, I'm seeing even more clearly now how a business like this has to operate. I personally can't afford to play around with Alex's line up as even springing for Justin's GS-X at a then $2500 price was stretching more than I was comfortable with, but decided it was worthwhile. I agree with the point Tari made above about the price reduction being due to selling direct vs through dealers. If you were wondering why the Gold was so expensive before and now is so much less, that's basically the portion being taken by a dealer on each LAu sale. I always knew this was the case with my experience in this sort of business and wasn't surprised by the price difference.

I have to laugh at how all of this price scrutiny is on Alex, while the Abyss is just ushered into the fold without comment. I know there was much comment on it when it was announced and the first samples were coming through, yet it is mysteriously missing here. Again Alex bears the brunt of unfounded criticism. Don't take this as a slight on the Abyss. I don't intend that it is overpriced and that the missing commentary is an oversight, it was just comical to me that it was SO one sided here. I personally think the Abyss is probably the top planar magnetic phones, but I still don't like them much, even if I could afford them.
post #88 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrabike View Post
 

So let see, 0% interest in a dynamic/ortho headphone amp (cuz said cans types are in pieces anyway), strictly interested in speaker rigs, doesn't know why bought an SR-009 either ...

 

Guess the interest in the LAu + Abyss thread is that your subconsious is ready to fix those LCD-2s and go full steam ahead by pairing them with a LAu.

 

You pretty much summed up my thoughts perfectly.

post #89 of 102

Excellent point about the Abyss Maxvla.  Especially if you look a The State of the Flagships paper and scroll down to the Abyss.  They miss.

post #90 of 102

I really liked the review- engaging and interesting. :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold with Abyss AB-1266 - Head-Fi TV