Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Head Fi's Favourite Amp for the Audeze LCD 2: $200-$1000 [POLL] Last post on 5/12/14 at 2:23am in High-end Audio Forum
- Toys for Boys Last post on 9/8/14 at 4:16pm in High-end Audio Forum
- New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil Last post on Today at 4:39 pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Influence of cold/analytic DAC/AMP on warm sounding cans Last post on 5/6/14 at 12:05am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Should I ditch my Creative X-Fi? Last post on 3/8/14 at 11:49am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION I first reviewed the original Brainwavz R3 back in December 2013, and unfortunately...
Not too much to say here other than that these headphones are stellar! I mostly listen to my vinyl collection with these bad boys and it's an absolute joy. I purchased an external amp to power them...
Man are these awesome , they're cheap..but as all Beyers they sound fu**** awesome , these are clean , fun and dynamic , they sound excellent Let me preface this by telling this...
This is actually the first "over-head" headphone i ever bought, but compared to my philips and LG tone+ this one is a lot more for 70$, i mainly use it on my gaming rig with sound card...
Ok we'll these were my first over ear headphones I fell in love with and there's plenty of reasons for that, I'll talk about the durability, comfort level and mind blowing bass first -...
Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up - Page 110
And what's the point of having them in an amplifier? Strange question..
You might want to check out these reviews of Lampizator's Tube DSD DAC.
Edited by audioholik - 7/12/14 at 8:33am
Normally to raise the voltage (gain stage) and sometimes as the power devices in the output stage.
What would they do in DAC?
So you're saying that companies like Lampizator, AMR, EAR, Valve Audio Devices to name a few, that are using tubes in their DACs, are doing it without purpose?
No, but that purpose is not a technical one.
Sure, there's a purpose - catering to nutjobs with more money than common sense. Schiit told many times, this is not their target audience.
Edited by madwolfa - 7/12/14 at 8:47am
Tubes in DACs are generally used as amplifiers to create the line-level preamp output, which is why they affect the signal. They can also be used as a buffer with 1:1 gain, which means their purpose is to send the signal through the filaments which again affects the output signal.
The Loki has a hard time selling because people don't like the idea of having to outsource the DSD decoding to another box when there are other solutions that can do it all in one box. It's not an "elegant" solution and for neurotic audiophiles that is an issue.
The audience that is interested in DSD are those who tend to be the most discerning and willing to spend money to satisfy those OCDs, this solution does not check off any of those audiophile OCD checkboxes. Audiophiles argue about cables and additional components to the "chain" that will impact quality, the Loki is a neurotic audiophile's worst nightmare, I'm not surprised it's not selling well. Also, it does not support balanced operation, which also is another of those audiophile OCDs. Are these OCDs substantiated? Probably not Most likely not Almost certainly not, but it comes with the territory.
I guess you could argue that the Loki is targeted towards the entry level DSD audiophile who has not yet developed these OCDs. The reason these people are not purchasing it is because they are looking for something affordable, probably came to the website to buy the Modi (which is a ridiculous deal btw at $99), and then saw that the Loki was an additional $149 and figured they'd just purchase the Modi in the meantime and hold off on buying the Loki until they find that they needed it. Well given that they don't have those audiophile OCDs (and remember, they were looking for something affordable), they never end up purchasing higher-priced DSD tracks and live the rest of their lives consuming redbook or possibly even just a streaming service. The Loki is forgotten.
I haven't heard the Loki myself, and doesn't work for me in terms of connectivity options (yes an audiophile OCD), but I'm sure it sounds great as there are people I trust who say it gets the job done, so I do find it unfortunate that it is having a hard time selling.
- Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
- › HD800 Story Telling Time - *Warning* Prepare thyself, not for the... 9 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 16 seconds ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 29 seconds ago
- › Music City Meet #2 -- Fall 2014 -- Pics & Impressions Thread 40 seconds ago
- › National Audio Show UK 2014 - Brief Photo Tour 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Ultimate Ears' New Way Of Making Custom In-Ear Monitors - Head-Fi TV 2 minutes ago
- › McIntosh MHP1000 Headphones Announced in CES 3 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 3 minutes ago
- › DGS100 Appreciation thread. The game changing budget-fi two-way... 4 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by Brooko
- › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphone by WavyGravy1
- › Beyerdynamic DTX 710 Trendline Stereo Headphone by MrTechAgent
- › Marshall Headphones - 'Major' Over Ear (Black) by Kordz
- › Sony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphones by 12cc2
- › VSONIC VSD3S Black High Fidelity Professional Quality Stereo... by Tom22
- › AKG K 550 by QBoQBo
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by smellyfungus
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by hans030390
- › Fostex TH 900 by archeryc
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)