Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Gear-Fi: Non-Audio Gear and Gadgets › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! - Page 527

post #7891 of 7900
Quote:
Originally Posted by OddE View Post


-I've had nothing but great experience with Neil at chronomaster.co.uk; he's got a nice (though not exhaustive!) collection of vintage watches on offer for what I consider reasonable prices.

I've also bought from watches.co.uk twice - no complaints, though my impression is that their mark-up is slightly higher than at Chronomaster.

Finally, chrono24.com is essentially the eBay of watches.

 

That's a pretty cool site, nice find!  I saw a few G-Shocks on there that aren't sold in the U.S., so it's good that you can go somewhere other than eBay (where I get some of my G-Shocks from) to purchase all types of watches.

post #7892 of 7900

Have you guys seen the new Leonard & Church brand on Kickstarter? There's some nice looking designs in their lineup.

 

What's interesting me the most is their recently announced stretch goal. It's a lofty number, so I'm not sure if they'll make it but I love the looks of their chronograph watches in the silver finish.

 

post #7893 of 7900

i dont get it, every cook with his own dream wants to get in to the allready saturated butique watch market,

 

Thats what 150 grand gets you,

 

Heres what a150 bucks gets you

http://www.creationwatches.com/products/seiko-chronograph-watches-63/seiko-neo-classic-chronograph-spc079p1-spc079p-spc079-3802.html

 

Hell, its 10 bucks cheaper on leather

http://www.creationwatches.com/products/seiko-chronograph-watches-63/seiko-neo-classic-chronograph-spc087p1-spc087p-spc087-3797.html

 

Also, Citizen has this ugly tendency to only allow OEM customers access to their lower end movements, while their higher end movements are reserved for in house brands, meaning you wont find any non citizen Ecodrives or Precisionists.

post #7894 of 7900
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcykler View Post
 

 

Please do. Images are good.


Ask and ye shall receive.

 

I owned a lot of watches over the years, many Omegas and Tissots, but this one has turned to be my favorite. Not initially, (not by a long shot), but it has all the qualities I look for in a watch; exceptionally accurate, simplistic face and strong - but short and frequent - sweeps.

 

 

 

 

IMO, nothing will ever beat a mechanical watch. Quartz is a joke.

post #7895 of 7900
I greatly respect a fine, purely mechanical timepiece, but there's still a lot to love about a quartz movement that's never off by more than a half a second on any given day, all year long, year after year. It's just thrilling to randomly access the Naval Observatory whenever I feel like it, and always see the exact same time perfectly in sync on my wrist.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/citizen-eco-drive-world-chronograph-at8010-58e-747471-2.html#post7297616
post #7896 of 7900
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilch0md View Post

I greatly respect a fine, purely mechanical timepiece, but there's still a lot to love about a quartz movement that's never off by more than a half a second on any given day, all year long, year after year. It's just thrilling to randomly access the Naval Observatory whenever I feel like it, and always see the exact same time perfectly in sync on my wrist.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/citizen-eco-drive-world-chronograph-at8010-58e-747471-2.html#post7297616

 

I had a Casio atomic syncing wristwatch. I miss it. It was wonderful never having to worry about it being accurate. The Citizen line is damned sexy too. I hope to have one some day.

post #7897 of 7900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suisou View Post
 

IMO, nothing will ever beat a mechanical watch. Quartz is a joke.

 

-I, too prefer mechanical watches, but mostly for emotional reasons.

 

Quartz still has got a lot going for it, though - in my book lower maintenance and greater accuracy are the most important ones (But then again, that begs the question - how accurate do you need? My most accurate mechanical watch is consistently running approx. 2/3 of a second a day fast - so I just set it back a little whenever I have to unscrew the crown to set the date every two months.).

 

While there's no denying that I enjoy the idea of having a small machine with dozens of moving parts in it, right there on my wrist keeping track of time - there's a lot to marvel at in a quartz, as well. Accurate to within less than a second a year (and that is even before we bring DCF77 or GPS correction into the picture!), counting out the vibrations of a tiny crystal with extreme precision, tiny stepper motors moving the hands... And it all fits inside a small watch case, and runs off (considering how long the batteries last) an electron or two a minute. :)

 

Now, if only someone would make a watch with a nice, temperature compensated quartz movement and make the hands sweep rather than jump... (Yes, I know such designs exist. Even funnier, though - I've seen jumping second mechanical watches...)

post #7898 of 7900
Quote:
Originally Posted by OddE View Post
 

 

-I, too prefer mechanical watches, but mostly for emotional reasons.

 

Quartz still has got a lot going for it, though - in my book lower maintenance and greater accuracy are the most important ones (But then again, that begs the question - how accurate do you need? My most accurate mechanical watch is consistently running approx. 2/3 of a second a day fast - so I just set it back a little whenever I have to unscrew the crown to set the date every two months.).

 

While there's no denying that I enjoy the idea of having a small machine with dozens of moving parts in it, right there on my wrist keeping track of time - there's a lot to marvel at in a quartz, as well. Accurate to within less than a second a year (and that is even before we bring DCF77 or GPS correction into the picture!), counting out the vibrations of a tiny crystal with extreme precision, tiny stepper motors moving the hands... And it all fits inside a small watch case, and runs off (considering how long the batteries last) an electron or two a minute. :)

 

Now, if only someone would make a watch with a nice, temperature compensated quartz movement and make the hands sweep rather than jump... (Yes, I know such designs exist. Even funnier, though - I've seen jumping second mechanical watches...)

 

And I agree with the points you've made, but I guess I am bitter over the quartz crisis. 

 

As humans, we are obsessed with time. But I do not require the accuracy of a chronometer or the detailing of a patek phillipe. I've owned three Tissot Seastars and oddly enough, I prefer them over my Omegas as a daily driver. Each keeps time accurately on the minute of each day, which is enough for me. 

 

Quartz watches lack....intimacy....for the lack of a better word between the object and owner. Mechanical watches, especially those built pre 1980's, are built to be timepieces that transcends time. 

 

I do though, hold the spaceview in a special light. 

post #7899 of 7900

Hi,

 

I definitely see where you are coming from. I have a small-ish collection that I am very happy with - and my favourite chronograph is a mid-seventies Tissot Seastar Navigator, currently being serviced. (Its Lemania 1281 has been ticking merrily away for a decade since the last service, so I figured it was high time I give it some TLC.).

 

I agree that mechanical watches has got some cachet which is difficult, if not impossible for quartzes to achieve; in my case, I think it comes down primarily to the idea that my mechanicals may have been put together by real watchmakers, whereas my quartz watches are the result of robots doing their thing. (Nevermind that robots do just about everything on any mechanical watch you can buy without taking out a mortgage... :))

 

Oh, and Accutrons? I love the idea of essentially tapping a tuning fork to tell the time. Hardly ever see them in the flesh around here, though. Bit of a shame. :)

post #7900 of 7900

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suisou View Post
 

 

And I agree with the points you've made, but I guess I am bitter over the quartz crisis. 

 

 

 

Haha.  Don't be!  A lot of great designs, innovations and ideas were spawned because of it.

 

Quartz almost destroyed the mechanical watch market and in reaction watch makers had to react and develop reason for people to still invest in mechanical pieces.  The result was the weak and non-versatile companies falling and the innovative ones surviving.  We wouldn't have the Royal Oak (for example) if it wasn't for the "Quartz Crisis".  It forced companies to refine their visions, change their marketing, and above all, brought the industry into the 21st century as a whole.  It revolutionized the watch manufacturing process as a whole, both quartz and mechanical.  

 

There are a lot of people that look down their noses at Quartz watch because they are less "romantic" or they don't "have a soul".  As a collector, I get it.  Believe me, I get it.  The idea of a watch maker tirelessly crafting my watch, inspecting each part with love and care versus the cold stamped out -TICK -TICK -TICK of quartz.

 

But that's all it is: a romantic idea.

 

Almost every mechanical watch is largely machine made, regardless of price (yes, even Patek and Lang) despite what the marketing tells you about it. 

 

There are a lot of exceptional quartz watches out there, you know!  The Omega X-33, Breitling Aerospace and yes, the G-SHOCK and Ironman all come to mind.  If I wanted a reliable accurate watch, at any price point, it is hard to beat a Seiko sbcm023 thanks to its high frequency quartz guts.  What about the Patek Twenty-4?  Or all the Reverso Quartz models?  Or, as mentioned above, the Accutron?  Or, above all, ANY watch with a Beta caliber.  The list goes on...

 

Don't hate quartz :)  There is a lot of good there.  Will it ever replace mechanical watches?  I don't think so: no more than photography will replace painting.  They are just very different processes with different applications.  But have their pros and cons.

 

But that's just my 2 cents.  Now I have to go and wind my watches.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Gear-Fi: Non-Audio Gear and Gadgets › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!