Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Gear-Fi: Non-Audio Gear and Gadgets › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! - Page 525

post #7861 of 8051

No hate hahahaha :tongue_smile:

post #7862 of 8051

Oh, they're supposed to keep time too? I thought they were jewelry. ;)

post #7863 of 8051
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradofan1 View Post
 

Seiko makes a lotta good stuff, and a lotta crap. Automatic Seiko 5's can go for $70, but they don't keep time well. Grand Seiko's can go for $4000+ (no joke). 

 

IMO, the quality of Japanese watches (usually, Orient would be an example of a good one though) can't hold their ground against the Swiss.

 

-Have you ever looked at a Grand Seiko? The workmanship is IMHO right on par with the best in the same-ish niche - Omega, Rolex, TAG - and their movements are second to none.

 

What I do feel about Japanese watches, though, is that they are somewhat lacking in the aesthetical department; it is not that they are ugly - they definitely aren't - but to my eyes, they just lack this... ...something which most classy Swiss watches have. There's something about the (seemingly) effortless elegance of the finest Swiss watches which I don't see in most Japanese watches.

 

That is probably down to my taste being tuned more towards Swiss than Japanese design, though - I wouldn't be surprised if the Japanese claim that 'Swiss watches are good technically, but they're just not as elegant as our home-grown offerings....' :)

post #7864 of 8051
Me ...Seiko fan boi ...its ok guys ...Japanese Swiss ...or any make or brand as long as you like it.

That's all it matters ...your money ..buy what you like ..buy what you can afford.

post #7865 of 8051
post #7866 of 8051

Suunto Core and Gambit for hiking and trails.  Casio Pathfinder PAW5000-1 for all else.  Not really into "bling"

post #7867 of 8051
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadbang View Post
 

Damn, the Apple concept watch is gorgeous.

 

http://www.ibtimes.com/apple-iwatch-could-rival-iphone-ipad-popularity-morgan-stanley-predicts-1627360

 

I don't see anything special there... It looks like a glorified bracelet instead of a watch!

post #7868 of 8051
Ew, that doesn't look that good imo, uh, here you go

https://kairoswatches.com/

I want the $1000 black one...
post #7869 of 8051

WOW. DO WANT. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blisse View Post

Ew, that doesn't look that good imo, uh, here you go

https://kairoswatches.com/

I want the $1000 black one...
post #7870 of 8051

That is cool and an interesting concept.

post #7871 of 8051

It's a shame they won't actually look that nice. The display transparency will only be around 40-60% so it's more translucent than transparent. And the designs are not finalized so we could see something entirely different come launch. I'll wait to see how they turn out at launch.

post #7872 of 8051
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post
 

 

I don't see anything special there... It looks like a glorified bracelet instead of a watch!

 

 

It's the future, man. I still regret not buying one of those Final Fantasy watches when I had a chance. 

 


Edited by chadbang - 7/16/14 at 5:59pm
post #7873 of 8051

The AVI-8 V-4024-01 "Lancaster Bomber" watch is a lightning deal tomorrow at 12:30 PM eastern. I don't know anything about the brand but I have to say the pairing of that watch face and that band is damned pretty. It's currently listed at $135 and I don't know what the lightning price will be, but this is almost bite-the-back-of-my-hand gorgeous. Japanese movement with a mineral display, so it's not the highest quality but if the price is right I think I'll be jumping on this classy beauty.

 

 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IWSK0L6/


Edited by AxelCloris - 7/18/14 at 5:28pm
post #7874 of 8051
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelCloris View Post
 

The AVI-8 V-4024-01 "Lancaster Bomber" watch is a lightning deal tomorrow at 12:30 PM eastern. I don't know anything about the brand but I have to say the pairing of that watch face and that band is damned pretty. It's currently listed at $135 and I don't know what the lightning price will be, but this is almost bite-the-back-of-my-hand gorgeous. Japanese movement with a mineral display, so it's not the highest quality but if the price is right I think I'll be jumping on this classy beauty.

 

 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IWSK0L6/

 

Well, it seems there are reviews for other of their watches on amazon and it seems they are not made to last... 

If you are looking for an "aviator" watch, I can definitely recommend:

 

http://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/Aviation-Vintage,487.html

 

Higher priced of course, but excellent looking, good materials and Steinhart is a great company.

post #7875 of 8051
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post

 

Well, it seems there are reviews for other of their watches on amazon and it seems they are not made to last... 

If you are looking for an "aviator" watch, I can definitely recommend:

 

http://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/Aviation-Vintage,487.html

 

Higher priced of course, but excellent looking, good materials and Steinhart is a great company.

 

I passed on the AVI-8. Even during the lightning deal it looked like workmanship wasn't worth the price they were asking. The various images show misaligned paint and overall a lack of attention to the fine details. I've had sub-$100 watches that have precise detailing so even though I liked the look quite a bit it wasn't worth the investment. And I think if I'm to buy another watch any time soon it'd be either one I've had my eyes on for some time or a nice automatic with Swiss movement.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Gear-Fi: Non-Audio Gear and Gadgets › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!