Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Gear-Fi: Non-Audio Gear and Gadgets › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! - Page 478

post #7156 of 8051




My every day "go to"
post #7157 of 8051

I got Certina DS-1 for my birthday. Can't stop smiling wearing this. cool.gif

 

 

My first "real" watch.

post #7158 of 8051
I have one of the gshock aviation watches,the 6 band, solar powered ones... My old gshock I hit with a baseball bat a dozen or so times then ran it over with a car in an effort to break it.. I was unable to :/ lol
post #7159 of 8051

Finally received the Christopher Ward C10 a couple months ago.  Doesn't seem to be discussed much on that forum, but pics don't do it justice.  As soon as I opened the package, was in love with it :)

post #7160 of 8051
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongol View Post

Finally received the Christopher Ward C10 a couple months ago.  Doesn't seem to be discussed much on that forum, but pics don't do it justice.  As soon as I opened the package, was in love with it :)

Photos!

post #7161 of 8051

New and more appropriate shoes for the Monaco.


Edited by Klaatu - 2/9/13 at 3:07pm
post #7162 of 8051
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodstudio View Post

One interesting point: since I could first afford to buy one, I have always kept a Rolex dive watch (GMT Master II, Submariner, Seadweller) with me whilst travelling. Why? Well, firstly because I love the watches and they are great travel watches that you could run over with a tank and they'd still work just fine!BUT, another very important reason is that an authentic Rolex is as good as hard currency should you find yourself in difficulties in some remote area of the world. No matter where you are, everyone will know what a Rolex is and there's always someone willing to give you hard cash for it and thus potentially resue you from a difficult situation where you just couldn't get your hands on cash via any other means. 

 

In reality, I think anyone you offer it to will consider it likely to be a fake - some of the one's using Swiss autowinding mechs are arguably better than the originals as well as impossible to tell apart with disassembly. But they're still only worth around $400.

post #7163 of 8051
Quote:
Originally Posted by supracrazy90 View Post

I have one of the gshock aviation watches,the 6 band, solar powered ones... My old gshock I hit with a baseball bat a dozen or so times then ran it over with a car in an effort to break it.. I was unable to :/ lol

I actually heard of someone who managed to break a g-shock. It was one of the extra heavy models (a "Klingon" or "Stargate"maybe) he hurled it at the mirror in a bar hard enough to shatter the heavy glass, a piece of which must have acted like a chisel as it distorted and cracked the glass in front of the screen. To be fair, the watch was still running - and a lot less damaged than its owner.

post #7164 of 8051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaatu View Post

New and more appropriate shoes for the Monaco.

 

Perfect choice! 

post #7165 of 8051
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuttle View Post

 

In reality, I think anyone you offer it to will consider it likely to be a fake - some of the one's using Swiss autowinding mechs are arguably better than the originals as well as impossible to tell apart with disassembly. But they're still only worth around $400.

Um, yea OK. 

post #7166 of 8051
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfis View Post

Um, yea OK. 

 

Do you actually know anything about mechanical watches, as in how they work? The Rolex mech is a very decent design, but there are no substantial differences in performance, in any degree, to a commodity ETA mech - and before the recent price you could get those in bulk for $100. As the rest of the components... Seikos with equivalent quality ISO spec diver cases and better lume cost about $300 (and you can actually regulate one to Rolex spec accuracy yourself with little more that a jeweller's screwdriver.)

 

Famous dissection by someone who, unlike you, actually knows how mechanical watches work:

 

 

http://people.timezone.com/library/horologium/horologium0036

post #7167 of 8051

Are you getting personal? Yes I am VERY Familiar with that ExpI. It was a debacle. Dont bring Seikos into this. If any company deserves the not to durability its Rolex. Ive had 60+ year old Rolex keeping COSC having never been opened. can ETA do that- I bet yes but the world over Rolex has earned its stripes. Seikos too, which I also collect. No sane person can knock Rolex for its durability. That famous first run of entry level, cost cutting ExpI is an exception and was rectified. 

post #7168 of 8051
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfis View Post

Are you getting personal? 

 

Is it personal to point out that you obviously don't know anything about how mechanical watches work?

 

 

 

Quote:
Yes I am VERY Familiar with that ExpI. It was a debacle.

 

Because...?

 

 

 Dont bring Seikos into this. 

 

Because...? Seiko are a very good comparison for Rolex because they are one of the few makers that mass produces equally huge model runs entirely in-house, especially of ISO spec divers. In fact, most of the Rolex owners I know have something like an SKX007 and they are usually agreed to be much the tougher watch - and about 90% of them regulate inside COSC even though they only cost $300-$400!

 

 

If any company deserves the not to durability its Rolex. Ive had 60+ year old Rolex keeping COSC having never been opened. 

 

And how do you know that it has never been opened in that time? Or are you saying something else like you have a 60 year old Rolex that is COSC although it hasn't been opened in the time that you had it? And you are aware that it is pretty common for Rolex Subs to need minor repairs after gold or tennis games - Rolex actually advise against wearing them for such sports? 

 


can ETA do that- I bet yes but the world over Rolex has earned its stripes. Seikos too, which I also collect. No sane person can knock Rolex for its durability. That famous first run of entry level, cost cutting ExpI is an exception and was rectified. 

 

Ok: so apparently you agree that the watch Odet looked at was shamefully poor (key components were visibility gouged by sloppy assembly and there was swarf where it would damage bearings) and you say that it was an exception - but you expect people to believe this without any evidence...

 

Also: how can you trust a company that would cut manufacturing costs to save a few tens of dollars on an item that was already going to sell for 5-10x its likely manufacturing costs..? And if you believe that Rolexes will as a usual thing run so long without servicing while staying accurate, then how can trust a company that says they need servicing every four years and charges something like $500-$800 for doing so?

 

60 years ago the Rolex Sub was a very hard act to match. But since then the price has gone crazy, while the cost of making complex mechanical watches has dropped through the floor. It's fine if you're willing to pay a significant multiple for "brand heritage," but I don't think it's fair to people who are thinking of buying to make quality claims that are not realistic. And it's even less fair to people who might be buying a used watch not to be frank that it is almost impossible to tell the best replicas from a real Rolex without taking them apart - the ones with regulated ETA mechs will be just as accurate; this is reality, it won't go away because your tummy hurts. Tests that people think weed out fakes only weed out *some* fakes:

 

- Is the glass scratchable? Means nothing; Rolex may charge you several hundred dollars for a sapphire watch glass - but they're only $30 online!

 

- Does the second sweep? This only means that the watch is mechanical, not quartz

 

- Is the watch COSC accurate? This just means that someone has regulated the watch mechanism has been regulated. Even a poor mech can be regulated to run accurately for a brief time, and these days $100 will buy an awful lot of mech.

 

So if someone offers you a "Rolex" for half price in return for ready cash, be wary. Even if it looks exactly like the one on your wrist, it may well be a fake that you can buy online for $500! It could even be a great watch - some are - but you will lose thousands on the deal. 


Edited by scuttle - 2/10/13 at 5:43am
post #7169 of 8051

Well Im sure Ill see an aficionado  at one of the GTGs somewhere around the world. 


Edited by dcfis - 2/10/13 at 9:14pm
post #7170 of 8051
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuttle View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfis View Post

Are you getting personal? 

 

Is it personal to point out that you obviously don't know anything about how mechanical watches work?

 

As soon as you write the word "you" then the post becomes personal. Don't go down this road. Discuss the argument, not the person. 

 

You may now continue discussing watches. smile.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Gear-Fi: Non-Audio Gear and Gadgets › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!