or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chopsticks

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

Are you chopstick efficient? I cant use those things if my life depended on it. Just something I thought of today when I had Panda Express for lunch.

post #2 of 17
Not sure if I'm using them exactly properly, but don't have much of a problem myself.
Actually, maybe the first time or two I had any problems. Otherwise was pretty easy.

On the other hand, some of my friends can't use them either so I guess it depends on the person quite heavily.
post #3 of 17
I wasn't very good with them until I studied abroad in China, where chopsticks were the only utensils you were given! So, I guess you can ban yourself from using a fork and spoon, and your hunger will teach you how to use them pretty quick smily_headphones1.gif
post #4 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagunaAsh View Post

I wasn't very good with them until I studied abroad in China, where chopsticks were the only utensils you were given! So, I guess you can ban yourself from using a fork and spoon, and your hunger will teach you how to use them pretty quick smily_headphones1.gif


Was she a hot broad?

post #5 of 17
I have to admit, I stared at that for 5 seconds before I figured out what you meant, lol! On that note, though, nearly all of their armed guards were young women... Getting searched as I entered the National Museum was the highlight of my day! biggrin.gif
post #6 of 17

I only use solid state class A chopsticks.

post #7 of 17
The audiophile's guide to chopsticks...

post #8 of 17
Thread Starter 

I don't need a video for a knife and fork. :D

post #9 of 17
Evolution gave us all the utensils we need: 10 fingers that include 2 opposable thumbs, and 32 teeth.
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watagump View Post
 

Are you chopstick efficient? I cant use those things if my life depended on it. Just something I thought of today when I had Panda Express for lunch.

 

When I was in college I met a friend there who lived just outside of Metro Manila, and when we all went for lunch after class, he struggled with his chopsticks. He said he's never used them before in his entire life. It was kind of a culture shock for me because I just assumed everyone in the world save for isolated tribes knew how to use these, but of course I didn't say that out loud.* Lo and behold someone admitted that over beer and nearly everyone basically agreed. We put him on a crash course, forcing him to order either katsu/tempura or noodles (that are in no way Italian) so he'd be given chopsticks from that stall in the cafeteria.

 

  *In my defense, even our 7/11's and gas station stores have dimsum and chopsticks

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

Evolution gave us all the utensils we need: 10 fingers that include 2 opposable thumbs, and 32 teeth.

 

When it comes to steak I actually prefer eating with my hands, either in front of the TV or when I take it off the resting pan and straight onto a chopping board on a patio table surrounded by my intoxicated friends. But when were around girls and they order a salad with sirloin (or any meat for that matter) on top I ask for chopsticks if they have them. I mean, why spear the meat and the lettuce with a fork when I can put the mango and toast squares on top of a leaf and then fold that with the chopsticks.

 

What I really can't learn to eat (properly) with my hands is rice, and I'm sure at some point I'm going to be in the same spot as my friend was with chopsticks when my secret gets out around here in SEAsia no less. I usually make up an excuse when everyone starts eating that way - "Oh look, no alcohol nor soap! It's ok, I have chopsticks in my bag."

post #11 of 17
Any tips on eating rice with them? I was able to eat everything and not look like a fool in Japan except bowls of rice. -_-
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinarc View Post

Any tips on eating rice with them? I was able to eat everything and not look like a fool in Japan except bowls of rice. -_-

Isn't it acceptable to bring the bowl to your mouth in Japan? You can shove the rice to your mouth if so. Otherwise make the chopsticks parallel enough such that you can compact a bit of the rice so the get clumped and easier to scoop. For the case where there is just a few remaining grains, you can use maybe a last piece of food and gather the rice then use it shove it all to your mouth.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtegeManiac View Post

 

What I really can't learn to eat (properly) with my hands is rice, and I'm sure at some point I'm going to be in the same spot as my friend was with chopsticks when my secret gets out around here in SEAsia no less. I usually make up an excuse when everyone starts eating that way - "Oh look, no alcohol nor soap! It's ok, I have chopsticks in my bag."

You just have to compact the food together, using your fingers like in the vid below, into a clump and your are done. 

 

post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinarc View Post

Any tips on eating rice with them? I was able to eat everything and not look like a fool in Japan except bowls of rice. -_-

 

Lift the bowl with your left hand. While still full or otherwise has a lot of rice in it, don't just try to grab lumps - this only works with the steamed rice, and you might eat fried rice at some point - your pinching must be somewhere below the lump and then scoop up the rice slightly. When you've eaten a lot of the rice, push the remaining rice towards the side closest to you with the bowl slightly tilted up* (effectively now the bottom) then pinch and scoop. When you're eating up the bits, push them towards the edge of the bowl and push them down to your mouth. Ask around though if this is OK with certain people, like CEOs you're having a formal dinner with, because all my Japanese dinners are more on the casual side. Over here it's rude to bring the bowl or plate up to one's mouth - even in Japanese restaurants people don't lift the bowls up (and look stupid trying to scoop the rice from a deep katsu bowl), but to put it in context, in some cases slurping and smacking lips are considered a compliment to the chef.



*look at how the more uncouth anime characters eat, just don't copy how they shove the food into their mouths while talking

post #14 of 17

I grew up using chopsticks. I can effectively use them in both hands. I like to randomly swap chopstick hands when I eat meals with my parents because it annoys them. :biggrin:

post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangster View Post
 

I grew up using chopsticks. I can effectively use them in both hands. I like to randomly swap chopstick hands when I eat meals with my parents because it annoys them. :biggrin:

 

It actually takes less of a paradigm shift doing that with chopsticks because they're just pincers that imitate the fingers, compared to how specialized the spoon, fork, and knife are.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home