or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Need help modding AKG K1000s
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need help modding AKG K1000s

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
I have a pair of AKG K1000's with broken drivers that need replacing. I also have a brand new pair of AKG K812s. I want to transplant the drivers from the K812s into the K1000s. I don't have the necessary skills to do it myself, so I want to hire someone. I expect it would be a difficult job, but I'm willing to pay whatever it costs to get it done right. If someone would be willing to take on this task, or could suggest someone else I might ask, I'd be very grateful.
post #2 of 17
Why would you want to do this? The AKG K1000 is a COMPLETELY different design to the K812. Seems to me like you are simply going to ruin a $1500 headphone to create a potentially bad sounding Frankenstein.
post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 
I agree that it has the potential to be a bad sounding Frankenstein. But it may also have the potential to be a good sounding Frankenstein.
Edited by sonictransducer - 1/22/14 at 7:35pm
post #4 of 17

Would AKG not repair your K1000's?

post #5 of 17
Thread Starter 
I don't think what I have in mind would qualify as a repair. Moreover, I already have a working pair of k1000. What I want is something quite different.
post #6 of 17

pretty sure there won't be enough driver throw on the 812 you will get miniscule if not  zero bass. Besides I can't tell if you are serious or not here.

If you are... and I am going on the assumption you are just for fun...

be sure to post pictures.

 

 

You'd be better off tranplanting a massive electrostatic driver in there and making your own type of Jecklin Float.

post #7 of 17
Thread Starter 
I share your worry about lack of bass. But I'm not much of a basshead, and I plan to EQ
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonictransducer View Post

I have a pair of AKG K1000's with broken drivers that need replacing. I also have a brand new pair of AKG K812s. I want to transplant the drivers from the K812s into the K1000s. I don't have the necessary skills to do it myself, so I want to hire someone. I expect it would be a difficult job, but I'm willing to pay whatever it costs to get it done right. If someone would be willing to take on this task, or could suggest someone else I might ask, I'd be very grateful.

Let's assume your serious

 

BE WARNED you may ruin BOTH headphones

 

I HIGHLY doubt you will get ANY kind of improvement in the K1000 by transplanting the AKg K812, that said both are AKG Flag ships and I would just enjoy your K812

 

Now with that warning aside hopefully some one from the DIY thread can help you, and lastly... PICS or it did not happen :3 

post #9 of 17

Eq will not work since the 812 has pads at the earsisde to focus the sound,  the K1000 has none. try it though.

post #10 of 17

What exactly are you trying to do by combining the two sets exactly?  

post #11 of 17

Agreed.  Butchering two pairs of $1000+ headphones seems imprudent, at least.

 

Maybe try a set of Stax SR-09 drivers in the K1000 headphones?  You'd have to use an electrostatic amp, but as long as you're burning money ...

post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb View Post
 

Agreed.  Butchering two pairs of $1000+ headphones seems imprudent, at least.

 

Maybe try a set of Stax SR-09 drivers in the K1000 headphones?  You'd have to use an electrostatic amp, but as long as you're burning money ...

seriously +1 

post #13 of 17
Thread Starter 
The K1000s have a broken driver which is apparently irreparable, so at most I'll be butchering one pair of headphones.
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonictransducer View Post

The K1000s have a broken driver which is apparently irreparable, so at most I'll be butchering one pair of headphones.

No your butchering your K1000 and your K812

 

and chances are some one can repair that K1000, I'd either sell it for parts, or serach for another broken K1000 before you trash your K812 :D 

 

again, post some pics of the dmg to the K1000, there just might be a few users here with some damged K1000s who could help you! 

post #15 of 17
(Money is no object for you, huh!)

Let the transplant begin but, do post some "after" photos.
Edited by Mambosenior - 1/23/14 at 9:10pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Need help modding AKG K1000s